OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2016 Hellcat Charger, 2020 mustang GT
They them you want a new clutch too. Reason: None of your techs can actually drive a stick and I smelt it burned from a mile a way.
Wait huh?
Sponsored

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Wait huh?
I was just saying if their driving the vehicle which you already know is bs. they should also be held responsible for the extra wear on the clutch. idk man. just upset that your in the shoes that you are in

OP
OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
I was just saying if their driving the vehicle which you already know is bs. they should also be held responsible for the extra wear on the clutch. idk man. just upset that your in the shoes that you are in
It’s alright man, I’m a positive person hopefully I can figure it out. A few people have reached out to me and really tried to make a difference on this forum and I really appreciate all the help. Maybe I’ll have to have people report the dealer next lmao.. hopefully not

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Lemon the car.
Depends on the state. In washington, he wouldnt have a case. Each of his issues are seperate and have been fixed.
It doesn’t appear that ALL issues have been fixed, given the noise it is making. Lemon Law might still be an option, especially if they don’t follow through on .....

Burned oil on dealership test drive of 200 miles. Approved for short block if it continues burning oil.. should I be happy with this? Tell me what you guys think.
Assuming they see the same (or even close to) the type of oil consumption you are seeing, they will need to approve a short block. Should you be happy with this? Maybe. From everything you’ve described, plus listening to the recording you provided, the issue(s) emanate from the block / crank case. Replacing the short block should fix the root cause. The underlying issue is how much do you trust this dealership to build the top half of your engine. It shouldn’t be an issue, since they will simply be re-installing existing parts, but there is some degree of workmanship / competence that is required to make certain you are issue-free when all is done.

Good luck, man. You deserve for them to do the right thing.

Sponsored

OP
OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
It doesn’t appear that ALL issues have been fixed, given the noise it is making. Lemon Law might still be an option, especially if they don’t follow through on .....

Assuming they see the same (or even close to) the type of oil consumption you are seeing, they will need to approve a short block. Should you be happy with this? Maybe. From everything you’ve described, plus listening to the recording you provided, the issue(s) emanate from the block / crank case. Replacing the short block should fix the root cause. The underlying issue is how much do you trust this dealership to build the top half of your engine. It shouldn’t be an issue, since they will simply be re-installing existing parts, but there is some degree of workmanship / competence that is required to make certain you are issue-free when all is done.

Good luck, man. You deserve for them to do the right thing.
Thanks I appreciate you taking the time to post, if they end up doing nothing, I’ll have a bitter taste about ford and prob trade in and get a ZL1

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
everything on the motor needs to be checked for abnormal wear. you should have an oil analysis done... if metals are circulating through the motor a new short block is not enough.

OP
OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
I’ll make sure they do that too, thanks so much!

OP
OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
Update, they have approved a short block it was burning a quart every 360 miles

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
That's great but why a short block and not a full engine replacement?

Sponsored
OP
OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
Not sure I asked and they said they aren’t sure, it’s prob an engine and they don’t know that. They have only worked on a few other Shelby’s

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Not sure I asked and they said they aren’t sure, it’s prob an engine and they don’t know that. They have only worked on a few other Shelby’s
I've only ever heard the entire engine being replaced on these things. Has anyone heard/experienced different?

OP
OP

kyle7000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KYLE
Vehicle(s)
It’s a new engine I’m pretty sure I agree with you

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
That's great but why a short block and not a full engine replacement?
Way back in history when I led the Powertrain Service Engineering group at GM short blocks were the most common service approach because they provided more flexibility for application. For some products long blocks (short block + head(s)) were used. Allows for stocking fewer part numbers, since the same short block could cover multiple applications and multiple years. Then the dealer’s service team can reassemble the engine using the customer’s top end or the specific replacement parts for those. So, for example, the short block for all the Ford applications using a 3.5TT EcoBoost could be the same part number, but the heads, exhaust, intake, and accessories would be specific to F150 or Taurus or whatever vehicle was being serviced.

Since GT350 is the only vehicle using Voodoo it would probably make more sense to do a long block, but Ford may not want to suck up the expense for replacing both heads to deal with fixing a piston or oil consumption problem. So if they’re looking to stock only one part number, it’s gonna be a short block. Not sure if the heads are different from model year to model year for GT350, but it if so, that would definitely be a factor. For 89 - 95 Corvette ZR1, there are three different head designs and they do not retrofit without changing a non-trivial number of other parts, so short block made total sense.

Last edited:

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Most of us got long blocks. I did too. I can’t recall others getting short blocks as having to transfer the heads to a new block and get the timing set right is not trivial
Ford wants these motors whole, and sent back to them. They won't let dealerships do anything on these motors but drop the oil pan. That's why I was confused when he said short block. I think the dealership is misinformed.
Sponsored