MT82 vs. Auto Take Rate

Did you buy a manual or an automatic?

• Total voters

armsdealer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue Mustang GT Premium PP2
One of the reasons for getting the manual was so my wife can't drive it, I don't see how getting the auto so the wife can drive is a "pro". She has her own car and can drive my daily if she wants.

I have a DCT in my daily (VW GTI) and it is OK for an auto, it is clunky but shifts faster than I could with a manual, but it doesn't replace the feels of rowing your own gears.
Sponsored

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
I voted and own a manual. I don't think it will be too long until manuals are such a niche item that it will be on expensive cars, everything else will just be some form of auto. I also think the same with a NA V8, before too long i'll bet you only get a engine like that in a 100k plus car. I'm guessing.

That said i do appreciate the auto trans that we have these days. They are something else. Test drove a 19 with the auto one day when i was bored, after having owned my 17 for like 3 ish months.

It WAS nice as i was backing out to just look back and use that easy one foot. It did feel good. The car moves, no doubt. I wouldn't mind having one of each, lol. BUT at the end it still wasn't "fast enough" for me. Once your in it, it's lightning fast and you better hold on, but just the usual auto lag when you punch it to switch gears(yes it is fast, i'm not saying it's slow, but it's still there). And the time between hitting the paddle and the shift happening has a delay. It reminds me of my auto Acura CL. You know the delay is there, so you get used to it, and can drive it well. But if i get an auto, I want it to be a DCT is kind of my thinking. Really go for a fast auto.

Red18GT

DanO
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Race Red GT
I think it won't be long until the DCT will be the only transmission available in a Mustang. If not the S650, certainly whatever comes after that. I'm 35 and have driven manuals for years, but I don't think there'll be much of a market for a true manual going forward as most people younger than myself are clueless how they work. On the positive side, I wouldn't be too disappointed with the new DCT in the GT500 if it had been an option for me. But paddle shifting in a traditional automatic bores me. There's just too much of a delay between what I want to happen, and it actually happening.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
According to Edmonds, in 2018 only 2% of all cars sold in the U.S. were manuals.
Makes sense as most autos sold in the US are SUV's, trucks and mini-vans which for the most part are auto only. Pretty sure if you just looked at cars/trucks that offered both, that percentage would be much higher.

StangSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT Premium
Im an older guy and physically can still do a manual but I like the new auto's of today. I live in HI which is crazy mad traffic and hills so the auto allows me to relax enjoy the exhaust, music or whatever. I also feel that accepting the auto is the same as me accepting all the other tech advances that allow my cars to be easier to drive and do better. If we didn't accept those under the same thinking as the manual thing then we'd still need popeye arms to turn the steering wheel and would really need to learn the car to take curves etc. But to each their own as you need to enjoy the car the way you want or else it wouldn't be fun.

PS. I was in the Army and driving a deuce and a half was not fun so I will take tech as it comes in all forms. lol.

Sponsored

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
At 74 my knee stopped me from driving my 14 Shelby.i miss it, but my A10 REALLY is lots if fun.im in sport mode all the time,and it's interesting when it downshift,which I can see on My digital dash,there's actually a blip in throttle that's audible. On Camaro s,2/3 of ZL1 are manual

Last edited:

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I have the 10 speed but I only paddle shift. I also had a tr3650 in a 2003 mustang gt and a 2011 gt mt82 before and broke it, and I had a TR6060 cts-v which I totaled into a pole before this car. The auto is extremely fun with paddles and the different modes. 2009 cts-v's Tr6060 was atleast twice as good as the mt82 in my 2011 was but I have the most fun in this a10 mustang I think, only because of the different modes. Paddle shifting Dragmode on the street 1-2-3 is a violent hoonfest, sport mode 3-4-5+ is seamless and you stay right where you want in the powerband. I couldnt deal with having it automatically shift 10 speeds though after having only manual sports cars so I just paddle shift it in sport mode almost always.

torqued

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
My knees hurt but I don't care, I figure this could be my last manual, in another 10 years I may not be able to drive one or find one available.

On the auto, I never test drove one but watching countless videos of them on YT, while waiting a long time for my car to be built, reminded me of my impression when I test drove a 2001 AT GT (when I didn't know how to drive a stick yet). In a manual I need a loud engine otherwise I feel like I'm driving blind and can stall it. But for me in an auto it doesn't really serve a purpose and over time begins to grate on me. Only in an automatic.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I still do not know why Clutchless manual are not a thing. I hate paddles, but an actual row box with hall-effect sensors, etc..

I'd be down in a second.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I grew up on a stick. How I learned 33 years ago. It’s second nature to me. But this was my first Ford and man oh man the s550 is atrocious. Weird clunking, chunking noises and that clutch... where the hell does it engage? Sorry just stating facts. Anyways, Not sure why Because the 2012 Shelby I drove last weekend was wonderful.

Sponsored

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
I wanted the A10 so I bought one.

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
MT82

When buying last summer the salesman was shocked I opted for the manual. Of the 60 GTs they had on the lot 2/3rds of them were the autos.
Same here - he shook my hand and said he was impressed I chose the manual tranny

Ronin47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG BULLITT K4675 2020 INFINITI Q50 RS 400
Manual for life!! I have prosthetic leg and enjoy rowing through the gears. Dealership didn’t know I was handicapped until I showed up to pickup my 2019 Bullitt in basketball shorts. They were amazed how well I could drive a stick and peel rubber at the same time. :)

Count Drunkula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I grew up on a stick. How I learned 33 years ago. It’s second nature to me. But this was my first Ford and man oh man the s550 is atrocious. Weird clunking, chunking noises and that clutch... where the hell does it engage? Sorry just stating facts. Anyways, Not sure why Because the 2012 Shelby I drove last weekend was wonderful.
Yes this is it! Driven manuals for the last 35 years and went for the manual option on the Stang and gee, it's a clunktastic bag of bolts with a stick in the middle of it. It's the car's worst feature in my opinion. Did the Steeda clutch spring and Boomba assembly bracket, which have improved things, but "snick" is still not a word in the Stang's vocabulary...

Ronin47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG BULLITT K4675 2020 INFINITI Q50 RS 400
Yes this is it! Driven manuals for the last 35 years and went for the manual option on the Stang and gee, it's a clunktastic bag of bolts with a stick in the middle of it. It's the car's worst feature in my opinion. Did the Steeda clutch spring and Boomba assembly bracket, which have improved things, but "snick" is still not a word in the Stang's vocabulary...
SO TRUE about the MT82!! I can't drive automatics as I feel like an accident waiting to happen and not being connected to the car. So I let other people drive if I can't drive. LoL... I am putting in the FRP short-throw shifter and a blowfish bracket to the MT82 on my Bullitt. Hopefully, it will help with the clunky bag of bolts feeling. I might do the clutch spring after, if I don't get improvement.
Sponsored