How To Adjust Your Indicated Average Fuel Economy

Hooch180

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maciej
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019 5.0 (EU)
the problem is hand calculations are based on the amount of gas you filled up with. not the actual amount used. the amount you fill up with may not always equate to the actual amount of gas used, especially if you use different pumps at different stations.
At least in Poland the petrol stations are certified on regular basis and can't have more than 0.5% error. So calculating it from petrol stations is actually a good idea. Even if those are not perfect and your car has constant 10% error I would like to have it closer to what I pay for than what it really uses.
Sponsored

ABS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
As a side note, I just completed my first real highway "road-trip" after three years of ownership. 2100 km in the mountains in Western Canada. Best tank was 8.0 L/100km and worst tank was 8.8 L/100km (29.4 - 26.7 MPG US) I was very impressed. I don't normally get this good fuel economy, as I am usually doing some city driving etc. Speeds were moderate and my right foot was only occasionally heavy. I had recalibrated my economy indicator a couple of years ago. My indicated vs measured on this trip showed an error of between 0 and 2% which is fine by me.

After driving for a couple of tanks like this, my Distance to empty read 725 km! (450 miles) Who knew you could drive a 5.0 this far? Nice considering the relatively small gas tank.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
At least in Poland the petrol stations are certified on regular basis and can't have more than 0.5% error. So calculating it from petrol stations is actually a good idea. Even if those are not perfect and your car has constant 10% error I would like to have it closer to what I pay for than what it really uses.
They are in the US too, meaning the amount the pump says you pumped is accurate.

The issue is consistently filling the tank to the same level every time. The actual pump that the moves the gas, the pressure kick off in the nozzle and even the angle you hold the nozzle will effect when the nozzle will kick off the fuel flow. So unless you keep adding fuel until it dribbles out the filler you can have a gallon or more variation in what you think is a full tank and can impact your mileage calculation by up to 2 mpg.

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
The issue is consistently filling the tank to the same level every time. The actual pump that the moves the gas, the pressure kick off in the nozzle and even the angle you hold the nozzle will effect when the nozzle will kick off the fuel flow. So unless you keep adding fuel until it dribbles out the filler you can have a gallon or more variation in what you think is a full tank and can impact your mileage calculation by up to 2 mpg.
All valid points. That's exactly why, when I'm around home, I try to fill up at the same station and pump as much as I can. Even doing that, the difference between what the computer said I got and what my manual calculations said were on average between 1.2 and 1.5 mpg off. It was pretty consistent. I took a 3500 mile road trip August of last year and those numbers stayed relatively consistent without filling up at the same station twice, but I had one tank that was almost 2 mpg different and one tank that was only 0.8 mpg off. Since I've made the adjustments on my car, I've averaged 0.2 mpg difference between the computer and my calculations with a maximum difference of 0.4 mpg and a couple of tanks that were spot on. That tells me fuel pumps aren't that far off.

Hooch180

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maciej
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019 5.0 (EU)
The issue is consistently filling the tank to the same level every time.
I use "Fuelio" app to track every single fill up. If you track fill up for longer time, than inconstancy doesn't matter. If you have 1 fill up, then inconsistency of 1 fill up matters. If you have 50 fill ups, only the inconsistency of last one has any impact on your calculations. And because you have 50 fillups, then that inconsistency importance drops to 1/50 of what it was.

Sponsored

Hockeyfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt Magneride, electronics, pac, Steeda Jack rails, Weather Teck Floor liners, SunTek PPF full front
I just took two trips With my 2020 Bullitt, one to Florida and one to Georgia. It was mostly highway driving. According to the dash I averaged between 26 and 27.4 mpg. When hand calculated it was actually 22.1 mpg. That is a huge difference. What could cause it to be that far off? The car is stock except a Ford Performance oil/ air separator. Thanks

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I just took two trips With my 2020 Bullitt, one to Florida and one to Georgia. It was mostly highway driving. According to the dash I averaged between 26 and 27.4 mpg. When hand calculated it was actually 22.1 mpg. That is a huge difference. What could cause it to be that far off? The car is stock except a Ford Performance oil/ air separator. Thanks
I'd say Ford is generous in their calculations to make you feel better. It's the same on my 2020 Bullitt.

Oddly enough, I haven't had any luck using the OP method on this car.

Has anyone with a 2020 had luck adjusting theirs through the engineering mode menus?

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
I'd say Ford is generous in their calculations to make you feel better. It's the same on my 2020 Bullitt.

Oddly enough, I haven't had any luck using the OP method on this car.

Has anyone with a 2020 had luck adjusting theirs through the engineering mode menus?
Yes. 2020 GT PP1 manual. I kept track of the miles, gallons and displayed MPG for at least 1000 miles, then calculated my own figure. The car's number was higher than mine, so I lowered the number in Test Mode. Drove another thousand miles and fine-tuned the number again. It's very close to accurate now, but I'm tracking it one more time to see if I can make it even better. When you say you haven't had any luck, what part of the process is the issue for you? (Please don't let it be metric vs. SAE, or whatever our 'Merican measures are called.)

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
When you say you haven't had any luck, what part of the process is the issue for you?
As I recall, I can't get it to set at the adjusted value. In other words, I'll adjust the 1.000 to .980 or whatever and it won't set at that .980.

I'll have to try it again ... may have missed something the times I tried it a year ago.

Hockeyfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt Magneride, electronics, pac, Steeda Jack rails, Weather Teck Floor liners, SunTek PPF full front
As many of you know the indicated average fuel economy( mpg) found in the trip1 or Trip 2 display does not usually match the hand calculated. In my case the indicated has been .9 miles to the gallon more than the hand calculated. After some research and trial on my car, you can adjust this difference out by using the AFE Bias which is found in the Engineering Test Mode.

1. To get to the Engineering Test Mode. Search this site for instructions.

2. Be sure you have a sufficent sampling of fuel history logs to be able to be able to get a good idea of how far off the indicated is. I had over 18 months of fuel logs which included the hand calculated and the indicated mpg. You will need to get the average calculate mpg and the average indicated mpg.

• In the Engineering Test Mode scroll up or down using the left steering wheel controls (up or down). When you get to the AFE Bias screen you will see the number 1000.

• From what I have found this number represents the value of 1.000 and you can adjust it either higher by left arrow or lower by right arrow (left steering wheel control) by .001. Go right one click on the control the AFE Bias will show 999.

• To find out what number to input to the AFE Bias take your average calculated mpg and divide it by the average indicated mpg. In my case I had 17.64 calculated and 18.65 indicated which equals .945927 or rounded to .946. Using the right control button I changed my AFE Bias to 946. if your average calculated is higher than the average indicated you would get a number higher than 1. After 2 tanks of gas the indicate has been spot on for tank 1 and off by .1 for tank 2.

Hope you find this useful.
Thank you!!

Sponsored

Red18GT

DanO
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Race Red GT
As I recall, I can't get it to set at the adjusted value. In other words, I'll adjust the 1.000 to .980 or whatever and it won't set at that .980.

I'll have to try it again ... may have missed something the times I tried it a year ago.
Maybe click "okay" after adjusting. It's been a couple years but I think I ran into the same problem. I've got my Mustang and F-150 both to where they're pretty spot on. I've kept spreadsheets for both so I can keep track of everything, including the afe bias number.

2015Pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Thanks RubyRed for this info. Took me a couple turns to get to AFE BIAS but I did adjust the setting and well see how it does! THANKS again!

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
There's one thing I don't get. The ECU knows how much gas has been injected into the engine. The exact quantity of petrol to be injected is calculated and measured with extreme precision and accuracy. It also knows how many miles you've driven. That's all it needs to know to calculate the average fuel consumption. Why should there be an adjustable bias ratio? What exactly is biased?

DansFLHTI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
There's one thing I don't get. The ECU knows how much gas has been injected into the engine. The exact quantity of petrol to be injected is calculated and measured with extreme precision and accuracy. It also knows how many miles you've driven. That's all it needs to know to calculate the average fuel consumption. Why should there be an adjustable bias ratio? What exactly is biased?
I agree.My 2013 mustang displayed the fuel used and the kilometers travelled and the resulting L/100kms or MPG. It was bang on with the hand calculation.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I don't think the car does know how much has been injected. It just knows how much would have been injected if every part in the path exactly matched the target specs for those parts. I suspect the procedure lets you adjust for however off your combination of parts is from perfect.
Sponsored