Sponsored

Whipple Camaro VS Mustang

Camaroguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 camaro ss
Hello folks. I have an 11 Camaro SS M6 with a whipple 2.9 running 10lbs of boost. upgraded fuel system 1050X injectors and ZL1 pump, 1 7/8 headers 2.5 Borla Atak cat back (no cats) stock cam and internals. I dynotuned yesterday for 574whp @6700 and 520tq @4750 I am getting about 8-9psi through the power range, it only hits 10lbs above 6k rpm. torque was up over 400 by 2250 RPM. I am wondering how you guys are comparing with your 5.0's?
Sponsored

cnycomp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT
Your tuner could have you on a conservative tune but from what Ive seen the mustang with the whipple is usually in the high 600s on 93, sometimes more. I havent had my car dyno'd but Im pretty sure Im around that 700 mark with a procharger d1x.

Your numbers do seem low but I dont know for sure what other camaros are doing.

OP
OP

Camaroguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 camaro ss
Jannety racing did it. He is not a number chaser as he put it. He makes the car happy, reliable, and smooth. The stock cam is a large restriction on these LS3 engines from what I understand. When I do the cam it will easily bump it 100hp, you can get more with a bigger cam but then start sacrificing drivability. How it the low end grunt on the 5.0 though? I am surprised how much torque I am getting down low, though I was expecting more peak torque honestly. Your 5.0 have the benefit of overhead cams and I think they have a better profile out of the box than the LS3 for sure. Are you running stock cams?

OP
OP

Camaroguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 camaro ss
The 5th gen M6 Camaros are at around 370WHP from the factory so I did gain about 200 from stock.

cnycomp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT
Your car will have more torque down low for sure. Put the cam in! I had a 2008 vette with a cam and it sounded sick! That car probably had a similar engine to what you have (ls3) and I had a vortech v3 with methanol injection and a cam. 688 rwhp. It did 137mph in the quarter. Very fast car but it was a stick and I couldnt launch it real well.

My car ran 10.6 @134 last saturday.

Cam it and put some meth on it I say! The chevy guys are all using methanol, check out east coast supercharging in jersey, they put it on all their cars.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Correct me if I’m wrong OP. It’s been a while since I’ve owned my 5th gen Camaro. But aren’t the heads/valve springs a limiting factor. in the Chevy motors with boost? If I recall most Chevy guys were getting mid-high 500s for HP/TQ. On boosted stock engines. The coyote is a little easier to hit mid to High 600s with.on a stock engine.

OP
OP

Camaroguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 camaro ss
I Don't want to do meth on the Whipple. Its very corrosive stuff and I would have to run it through the charger. Running Meth on these they recommend a rebuild every year for the charger. Not worth it for me. You have the ability to add it after the charger, I don't really have that option. Your car is fast! I hope to break into the 10's after the Cam, it will be tough with the stick for sure. I got it for fun factor and handling more than drag racing though.

OP
OP

Camaroguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 camaro ss
Correct me if I’m wrong OP. It’s been a while since I’ve owned my 5th gen Camaro. But aren’t the heads/valve springs a limiting factor. in the Chevy motors with boost? If I recall most Chevy guys were getting mid-high 500s for HP/TQ. On boosted stock engines. The coyote is a little easier to hit mid to High 600s with.on a stock engine.
The heads aren't a problem as far as I know, they flow very well stock. The cam and the springs are the limiting factor I believe. When I do the cam I have to do springs and rocker arm upgrades. It's a project. Big job on these pushrod engines.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Dag...6700 RPM on a stock cam? A cam and some 1.7 rockers would really wake that car up.

As for a compare, the only way to know is by having a similar setup Mustang on the very same dyno on the very same day to compare to. Otherwise it doesn't matter. Dyno's are not precision measuring devices.No two units will produce the same results even if they are same model and make and have sequential build numbers. I can go to one of three different dyno jets in my area and none will provide me the same result.

OP
OP

Camaroguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 camaro ss
Oh for sure. I know they all read different. Was more just comparing how they react to boost. Also curious how the 5.0 are down low rpm. I've heard they are more of top end screamers. I've only ever driven a 16 premium gt with an exhaust and cold air, otherwise stock. It felt quick but just spun 1st and 2nd

Sponsored

erikkire18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Hellion TT
i was running 8.5 lbs boost on 91 (CA shitty octane) + spraying meth and got 600whp. went E85 and thats a where i was making more boost and way more whp. as far as low rpms, my car drives like stock until I give it gas but im TT so thats probably why but I can red line it to 7-8K Rpms so that makes up for it

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Pushrod engines in general will generate more bottom end torque. The mod engine since the SOHC 2V 4.6 was released is targeted more for top end. They love shorter gearing. Coyote's after tuning are shifting at 7300-7800 RPM on street tunes... some even higher. NRMA Coyote stock class is spinning 8200RPM plus and running low 10's on a stock engine setup. Its all about gearing and weight reduction. Each round the cars ECU's are reflashed with the stock tune used in the class by an official. The engines are sealed with tamper resistant seals and only allowed to be torn into if an inspection for suspicion of tampering is called for. It has really generated some awesome competition. If a seal is broken the car can be disqualified. More I am sure on the class rules. Its a great class to watch. Few leave the line with all four on the ground.

OP
OP

Camaroguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 camaro ss
i was running 8.5 lbs boost on 91 (CA shitty octane) + spraying meth and got 600whp. went E85 and thats a where i was making more boost and way more whp. as far as low rpms, my car drives like stock until I give it gas but im TT so thats probably why but I can red line it to 7-8K Rpms so that makes up for it
I wish I had E85 available to me. There is none around me in CT. I could run more boost and gain quite a bit of power just on that, but again my cam limits the gains. It seems the LS3's are good to about 800WHP before rods start going. Seems about the same as the Coyote in that regard. I probably will only take it up to about 700WHP. Should get me into the 10's and I will be happy with that.

erikkire18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Hellion TT
as long as your suspension is on point and you got good tires and maybe some weight reduction, you should be good

Kurtis502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 1970 Boss 302, 1967 Mustang fastback, 1967 corvette 427, 1967 Chevelle SS, 1970 Z-28 Camaro
2019 Bullitt, with 1,300 miles, upgrade fuel system, whipple 3.0, 91 octane (Cal. gas) It made 650 hp to the tires at 6,200 rpm, and still going up.
Sponsored