Sponsored

Carbon Fibre Mirror Caps (Not Covers!)

Alfa Male

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Giulia
So I’ve got the carbon fibre mirror covers fitted to mine but I’m not happy with the stuck on look.

Plus the sharp exposed corner is prone to snagging on people’s clothes. I’m constantly re-sticking them down and have gone through rolls of UHB 3M tape trying to keep them in place.

I’ve been looking everywhere for replacement mirror caps as opposed to the stick on covers but cannot find any online.

Does anyone know if and where you can get proper carbon fibre caps from to replace the existing colour coded caps?
Sponsored

Benno2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT - TripleYellow \ Black stripes
It may not help........ but have you just considered spraying wither existing ones or new ones gloss black?

Benno

OP
OP
Alfa Male

Alfa Male

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Giulia
It may not help........ but have you just considered spraying wither existing ones or new ones gloss black?

Benno
Thanks Benno

That’s the fallback to get them painted gloss black but my preference is genuine carbon fibre to match the rest of the carbon additions on the car.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I'm sure I've seen some pretty convincing cf wraps on wing mirrors. That would be my approach if I wanted to change the colour.

Benno2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT - TripleYellow \ Black stripes
Thanks Benno

That’s the fallback to get them painted gloss black but my preference is genuine carbon fibre to match the rest of the carbon additions on the car.
Just read your build thread and can understand your desire for carbon - superbly mod'd Mustang you've got there :-)

Benno

Sponsored

OP
OP
Alfa Male

Alfa Male

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Giulia
I'm sure I've seen some pretty convincing cf wraps on wing mirrors. That would be my approach if I wanted to change the colour.
I had the roof of mine wrapping and looked at the CF wraps as you say they look good but it’s still obvious it’s not real CF when you get anywhere near the car.

I’m just surprised that no one is doing the replacement covers in CF. You can get these for pretty much any other main stream sports car but not the Mustang ? !

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Best bet would be to dip them ;)!

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
I had the roof of mine wrapping and looked at the CF wraps as you say they look good but it’s still obvious it’s not real CF when you get anywhere near the car.

I’m just surprised that no one is doing the replacement covers in CF. You can get these for pretty much any other main stream sports car but not the Mustang ? !

there are no CF makers in rhd markets and the lhd mirrors are different so the big cf makers aren't bothering with RHD parts the market is too small get a good hydrodip and get it clear coated it'll be about your best bet.

Dan3005

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
daniel
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
Hello im new here just recently bought my dream car and stumbled onto this thread also looking for full carbon fibre wing mirrors, I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in buying full carbon wing mirrors, and how much they would be willing to pay, I know some one how makes moulds and works with fibre glass/ carbon Kevlar etc how ever would be still quite expensive to set up for just myself so just seeing if there’s any interest for these.
It would be the full wing mirror including the mounting arm ?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Alfa Male

Alfa Male

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Giulia
JW Racing are selling these now for £327 plus P&P on their website.

I’m making my own at present using a kit from Easy Composites massively cheaper but very labour intensive. I can see now why these cost so much.

A pair of mirror caps from Ford cost me £70, plus £54 for XCR Carbon Fibre starter kit. Another tenner for extra brushes and cups ! Comes in at £134 to make them yourself.

I’m really enjoying making these and it’s relatively easy to do. Just takes time to do

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride

There are a few companies that make it.

https://carbonplug.com/s550carbon/carbon-fiber-mirror-caps

https://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/sgt051.htm

https://www.lethalperformance.com/a...bon-fiber-mirror-cover-replacements-pair.html

Anderson Composites are coming soon but are stuck in R&D for now if you order you will be on a list that has no release date. Trust me I know the pain I've been waiting. Carbon Cartel is sold out. Shelby says to use epoxy with there’s. But there you go. Those are direct replacements.

OP
OP
Alfa Male

Alfa Male

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Giulia
There are a few companies that make it.

https://carbonplug.com/s550carbon/carbon-fiber-mirror-caps

https://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/sgt051.htm

https://www.lethalperformance.com/a...bon-fiber-mirror-cover-replacements-pair.html

Anderson Composites are coming soon but are stuck in R&D for now if you order you will be on a list that has no release date. Trust me I know the pain I've been waiting. Carbon Cartel is sold out. Shelby says to use epoxy with there’s. But there you go. Those are direct replacements.

Are you sure all of these are for the UK spec mustangs ?

I found lots too but they were all for the US spec and didn’t fit !

OP
OP
Alfa Male

Alfa Male

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Giulia
Whilst on the topic I’ll give you a sneak preview of my next project I’m half way through doing at present.

D79CFC78-DEAA-4F2C-96BF-4B7EF5A14414.jpeg
4E6018D2-5749-4E7B-B3CC-CBC5B36F24DF.jpeg

The thin plastic strip at the scoop entrance was all bowed on arrival. When you stick this to the car it will be fine but to skin it I need to flatten it somehow. In the end I decided to skin the rest of the piece then using 3M tape stick the offending strip down on some old glass to ensure it’s flat before skinning this last section.

Fingers crossed this will work ! This is how it stands currently ready for me to skin tonight as I ran out of time !

B67A1F42-A3C3-44DC-96A4-90591E19FAE5.jpeg

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I'll tell you what, you're brave doing them inside, i did a decklid in the garage (after seeing this), and fuck me...fibres get everywhere!
Sponsored