CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Verters:

During the Summer, I try to leave the top down for weeks/months at a time. However, when I finally put it up, the whole back of it is covered with sand, dust, & dirt.

To prevent the dirt build-up, I purchased a $10 black Martex-brand cotton towel from Amazon, size 56”x30”.
IMG_2355.JPG

I then neatly folded it up, and wedged it town the back of the top where it would collect all the dust and dirt instead of the top.
IMG_2357.JPG

Time will tell if this experiment works…but you might want to try it yourself and see how it works out.

I also dropped a smaller towel down the front of the top in that 32” gap to collect any dust from collecting on the headliner.

Thanks

CVCashmere
Sponsored

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Verters:

During the Summer, I try to leave the top down for weeks/months at a time. However, when I finally put it up, the whole back of it is covered with sand, dust, & dirt.

To prevent the dirt build-up, I purchased a $10 black Martex-brand cotton towel from Amazon, size 56”x30”.
IMG_2355.JPG

I then neatly folded it up, and wedged it town the back of the top where it would collect all the dust and dirt instead of the top.
IMG_2357.JPG

Time will tell if this experiment works…but you might want to try it yourself and see how it works out.

I also dropped a smaller towel down the front of the top in that 32” gap to collect any dust from collecting on the headliner.

Thanks

CVCashmere
Any results yet?

OP
OP
CVCashmere

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
So Far, the top looks fine when I put it up. Need more time.

CVCAshmere

OP
OP
CVCashmere

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
Success!

I had the top down for 3 weeks and put it back up on Thursday.

No dirt along the bottom of the top! No need to blow off the Joisey sand! Heck...it's a great use of a black towel for just a few $$.

Now...someone come up with an idea for the front of the top when it is down so that the leading edge does not accumulate dirt, and so that dirt does not enter the top from the front. Please!

Thanks

CVCashmere

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I was told by a top installer years ago to keep the top up whenever you can, to keep it stretched. It will last longer and look better. Otherwise the creases start to set and wear.

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
When I drive it I always put the top back up when I park it, except when I go to car shows. More often than not it sits in the garage with the top up most of the time. I last drove it last Friday and it been sitting with the top up since.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Mine gets cycled once a day during the work week, as it’s always up in the parking lot. But I’ve taken to leaving it down overnight in the garage, as I can put it up in there if I come out to rain in the morning. I’ve noticed that the wrinkles show pretty good when I first put it up but are gone in the afternoon, especially if it gets rained on.

OP
OP
CVCashmere

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
Lube gears.jpg
Towel.jpg

I am experimenting with placing a towel in the front of the roof to prevent dirt from going inside.

Also, I lube the gears and joints each year to help the top go up and down easier.

CVCashmere
Sponsored

Last edited: