Sponsored

Mach E - the end of the world as we know it?

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I doubt everything will go electric. The mileage range will always be an issue.
Everything? Unlikely, at least in the short term. It's going to be more about charge time. Even if they get them to go 500 miles on a charge the problem is that instead of a 10 minute fill up its going to be a few hours of charging.
Sponsored

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Infrastructure will change as electric car adoption increases. Right now, charging stations wouldn't be able to handle demand if all/most cars were electric. Give it a decade, and more and more charging locations will become available. This will allow for the masses to travel and "fill up" when the battery is running low. Gas stations on every corner didn't happen overnight. I'm sure my parents and grandparents had a "I ran out of gas" story back in the days of carburated vehicles and much lower population density.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Eventually everything will go electric
I doubt everything will go electric. The mileage range will always be an issue.
It's not just the range the cost of buying a EV is out of the reach of most people. A $40.000 plus car is to much now if they can get the price of and EV to around $20k that would make a significant impact in ICE sales.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Economies of scale will drive down battery prices, and this will also spur investment in battery technology, which has been lacking in the last few decades.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
It's not just the range the cost of buying a EV is out of the reach of most people. A $40.000 plus car is to much now if they can get the price of and EV to around $20k that would make a significant impact in ICE sales.
EV's are into the high 20's already. A Leaf is like 29K before any deals. That's not much more an a Civic. The problem is that a lot of finance people will tell you that into days economy the average person isn't making enough to really responsibly be even be financing Civic money and yet they are taking 5yr loans out for much more than that.

Sponsored

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Nothing wrong with Mustangesque styling, all the car designers do that - look at the front end of Fords, they all have a similar "design language". They want people to look at a vehicle and know "That's a Ford".

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Economies of scale will drive down battery prices, and this will also spur investment in battery technology, which has been lacking in the last few decades.
While I am sure battery technology will improve, driving a long trip is not possible without a time sapping battery charge. Gassing up the car is 5 minutes. It still takes an hour or more to charge a Tesla at one of their supercharging stations. There are also plenty of gas stations around. Not as many charging stations. Even if charging time is cut in half with better technology, it is still an inconvenience.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
While I am sure battery technology will improve, driving a long trip is not possible without a time sapping battery charge. Gassing up the car is 5 minutes. It still takes an hour or more to charge a Tesla at one of their supercharging stations. There are also plenty of gas stations around. Not as many charging stations. Even if charging time is cut in half with better technology, it is still an inconvenience.
Agreed. With current tech, you aren't going to "fill up" an electric car in the same amount of time as a car with an ICE. You have to plan ahead. Tesla does a pretty good job of navigating you around so you can hit one of their charging stations without going too far out of the way.

I have been reading about batteries that can charge in minutes and last much longer than current batteries, and are a lot smaller too. Tech is in the early stages, but could become viable within the next 10 years.

Looks like it's Fisker. Says the car could be charged to 80% in 5 minutes. Uses a solid state battery (I don't fully understand what that means). If this is something other than vaporware, this could be a game changer for the EV market.

https://futurism.com/battery-charges-one-minute-beat-tesla-race-tomorrows-clean-car

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 301a Ruby Red PP2
The average charging time at the Tesla supercharging station is closer to 30 to 40 min when on a road trip. While charging it will show you the calculated remaining charge percentage by the next charging station on the route so you can decide when to stop charging if you do not want to wait for a full charge.

They have a nice section on the website for looking at different routes and estimated charing times at each station:
https://www.tesla.com/trips#/?v=M3_...alton County [email protected],-86.01779210000001

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
The average charging time at the Tesla supercharging station is closer to 30 to 40 min when on a road trip. While charging it will show you the calculated remaining charge percentage by the next charging station on the route so you can decide when to stop charging if you do not want to wait for a full charge.

They have a nice section on the website for looking at different routes and estimated charing times at each station:
https://www.tesla.com/trips#/?v=M3_2015_74&o=Houston, TX, USA_Houston Harris County [email protected],-95.3698028&s=&d=Rosemary Beach, FL 32413, USA_Rosemary Beach Walton County [email protected],-86.01779210000001
5 Minutes to put gas in a car.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Electrics still aren't mature enough. Hybrid is still the way if you want to use a vehicle for more than super light around town stuff.

I still can't imagine the feeling of being in an electric vehicle in the cold in a snow storm and traffic is all stopped. Using the electric power to heat, defrost, run the lights, etc. Must be terrible to see the batteries getting sucked down while you aren't even moving and know there's nothing you can do about it.
Sponsored