Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo
I just bought a pair of blankets to try and see if there is any improvement in transmission temps. $200 for the pair for good quality. The turbos are in the same place the Ford put the Cats and cats get very hot. These are not for highway driving as the air moving keeps everything cooler of course. When I am in traffic I see trans temps increasing. 2. Will these blankets kill the journal bearings pre maturely? For those that say cats create mega heat, what if the cats had blankets?
Sponsored

Hyper771987

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
I have the sleeper kit with BB base turbos and I put some eBay blankets on them. So far they keep my trans temps down I’m this Florida heat. No idea on long term effects on the turbos themselves.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
You could mitigate oil coking by using a Group III+ (GTL) or Group 4 (PAO) base oil.

OP
OP
Black Dog

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo
You could mitigate oil coking by using a Group III+ (GTL) or Group 4 (PAO) base oil.
Is this what you are using? If so what oil?
I have the sleeper kit with BB base turbos and I put some eBay blankets on them. So far they keep my trans temps down I’m this Florida heat. No idea on long term effects on the turbos themselves.
Blankets on BB turbos should not be an issue. I have always went with BB turbos. Went cheap this time and will not do it again. Journal bearings are prone to break down with heat. With Blankets the heat will stay within the turbo housing longer. I am going to call Precision tomorrow to convert to BB. About $1200 per turbo I believe.