Metal flake in oil

aaricchavez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaric
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
So I was working on the car this weekend, and among a few other things, the oil pan was one of the items being replaced. Upon draining the oil I had a mini heart attack as I pulled the magnetic drain plug and saw a metal flake on it. There were also some more tiny metal fragments as well. I didn't really see anything else in the oil and the old pan appeared clean as well.

The car has driven/drives fine, I've had a stage 2 Procharger kit on it for about six months now and haven't had any engine related problems(that I know of) just a bad O2 sensor and rear wheel bearing. I wouldn't say i'm the gentlest driver, but I don't beat on it constantly.

Tomorrow i'll be cutting open the oil filter to check out what's inside, but what else can I look at/check? Where do I go from here? Is this my excuse to rebuild and do forged internals? (If so, anyone know of a reliable place in/near Pasco County, Florida?)
media-1562034178393-Jun_30_2019_4_49_PM.jpg
20190630_164516.jpg
20190630_163215.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

aaricchavez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaric
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Yea that's a pretty big chunk. Was that the biggest piece?
Besides the tiny bits on the end of the plug, yes. This was the only piece I found in the oil.

Last edited:

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Is it aluminum or steel?

Edit Just saw where you said it was on the plug.

Hopefully something that was missed in factor parts cleanup.

OP
OP

aaricchavez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaric
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Is it aluminum or steel?

Edit Just saw where you said it was on the plug.

Hopefully something that was missed in factor parts cleanup.
I put the magnetic plug on during the last oil change, so it maybe could have just been at the bottom of the pan for a while. But I don't want to risk it and end up making things worse. It's a little sooner than I was planning, but I'm leaning towards rebuilding at this point and going forged internals. I talked to some local Mustang guys and found a shop that will do the rebuild for a fair price.

Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I would worry at all about one flake in your oil. If there is something wrong with the engine you will know it quick. I don’t think there is though. Unless your oil filter has done a great job anything bad would cover the oil pan and magnetic plug.

Now if you are about to want to go FI spend away but Fords NA motor build is about as good as you will get.

OP
OP

aaricchavez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaric
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I would worry at all about one flake in your oil. If there is something wrong with the engine you will know it quick. I don’t think there is though. Unless your oil filter has done a great job anything bad would cover the oil pan and magnetic plug.

Now if you are about to want to go FI spend away but Fords NA motor build is about as good as you will get.
I'm already boosted, I installed a Stage 2 Procharger kit about 6 months ago. My plan was to go forged at some point in the future so I can up the boost, so i've been working on suspension, driveline and other miscellaneous things.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
My plan in your situation was always to just buy an aluminator and sell my (good condition) stock motor. Figures the cost would be about the same with 900-1000 hp.

11000(alum) - 3200(stock) = 7800
I figure a build will be close to this when everything is figured. I will go this way one day.

OP
OP

aaricchavez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaric
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
My plan in your situation was always to just buy an aluminator and sell my (good condition) stock motor. Figures the cost would be about the same with 900-1000 hp.

11000(alum) - 3200(stock) = 7800
I figure a build will be close to this when everything is figured. I will go this way one day.
I was considering going that route too, I haven't decided yet though that might be the easier route.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have had a couple of motors built for diffent cars over the years. The idea has always been a couple weeks of down time. One ended up taking 6 months(nightmare with builder) the other took a month and a half.

I just like the idea of pulling one and putting another back in right after not to mention the ability to run it N/A for break in and shake down with a warranty.

Sponsored

khsonic03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP / 2016 F150 Lariat / 2018 Jeep Rubicon
Did you do oil pump gears? Asking because I was just reading a thread where a guy pulled his stock OPGs and saw chips of metal missing and scoring on the OPG housing.

OP
OP

aaricchavez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaric
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have had a couple of motors built for diffent cars over the years. The idea has always been a couple weeks of down time. One ended up taking 6 months(nightmare with builder) the other took a month and a half.

I just like the idea of pulling one and putting another back in right after not to mention the ability to run it N/A for break in and shake down with a warranty.
Yeah, it'd definitely be quicker. I'm shopping around, because I found a few other pieces.

Did you do oil pump gears? Asking because I was just reading a thread where a guy pulled his stock OPGs and saw chips of metal missing and scoring on the OPG housing.
Yes, OPGs, CS & ATI Balancer went in at the same time as the Procharger Kit. I tried to be as safe.

ponyv6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ozzy
Vehicle(s)
2019 301A PP1 Velocity Blue
I just did my first oil change 1 hour ago, and I was about the create a new thread and saw yours. Mine is not as bad but here are the pics;
we didnt pay attention much to not contaminate the oil but The magnet was holding the big pieces that are on my fingertip. there was too much shiny stuff all over. It is 2019 btw.
I had the knocking and thudding till 2000miles. After that, it got quite by itself. Now it is at 2500miles.
oil pan.jpg
particles.jpg

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I just did my first oil change 1 hour ago, and I was about the create a new thread and saw yours. Mine is not as bad but here are the pics;
we didnt pay attention much to not contaminate the oil but The magnet was holding the big pieces that are on my fingertip. there was too much shiny stuff all over. It is 2019 btw.
I had the knocking and thudding till 2000miles. After that, it got quite by itself. Now it is at 2500miles.
oil pan.jpg
particles.jpg
Did you cut the filter open?

ponyv6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ozzy
Vehicle(s)
2019 301A PP1 Velocity Blue
Did you cut the filter open?
I wanted the Ford to open the oil filter. I went there show the pics, they said "if you have any complaints about the car, there is nothing we can do." Service manager also said they dont have the tools to cut it open. If they cut it with a saw, there will be metal flakes because of that... I will try to open it with a can opener this afternoon.
Any other recommendation?
Sponsored