Sponsored

Excise tax in mass 2019 pp2

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
So I found this table on how it works just crazy they said the MSRP is 58.5 ]
No, they said that as a 2019 model, 90% of MSRP is $58,900, and that's the price shown on the assessment form. They think the full MSRP is / was $65,400. They're valuing it as if it's a GT350 with all the toys.

This is an easy fix. You bring the window sticker from your car with your VIN on it to a Registry office and they fix it. But, you'll likely have to do this year after year. This year, the correction of the value will save you better than $250. Next year, about $175. After a few years, the savings usually stop being worth your time.
Sponsored

NYDP77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Mustang Stage 3
Vehicle Showcase
In Massachusetts, you pay 6.25% of the invoiced cash-exchanged sales price to the state as sales tax at the time of initial registration. In addition, you pay 2.5% of the depreciated market value of the car every year (including the year of purchase) to your local town as an excise tax.
Whoa..So you end up paying the excise tax indefinitely until you no longer register the car! And they base depreciation off years instead of mileage? I'm not moving to MA anytime soon. I think you guys need to start throwing tea into the harbor again!

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Heh, they excised yours at a higher price than my 350R. I'd definitely look into that.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I'm not moving to MA anytime soon. I think you guys need to start throwing tea into the harbor again!
Hahahaha. I was thinking the same thing.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whoa..So you end up paying the excise tax indefinitely until you no longer register the car! And they base depreciation off years instead of mileage? I'm not moving to MA anytime soon. I think you guys need to start throwing tea into the harbor again!
Yes and yes.

Oh, and you pay the tax indefinitely until you no longer own the car, registered or not. The only way to turn the tax bill off is to bring a cancellation of registration form from the registry and a bill of sale to your town.

Why? Why does a dog ......

Sponsored

JRADNER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JASON
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 WHITE W/ BLUE STRIPES
THIS STATE IS A MESS! Can't wait for Florida waterfront properties to take a dive so we can get out of this place. I have 4 cars, and that damn bill comes around and all I can do is swear. The worst part is that the money isn't even spent on roads...the original reason for the tax. They use it per discretion like a slush fund in infrastructure and town needs. """"General Laws imposes an excise on the privilege of registering a motor vehicle""""" F***ING Privileged after a 6.25% sales tax and registration fees.

JRADNER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JASON
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 WHITE W/ BLUE STRIPES
Well said! I swear half of the state owns chrome rims and ebt cards

OP
OP

Islandstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium pp2 race red
so got my excise tax bill from Massachusetts yesterday and they valued my car at 58500?!? That’s way over sticker crazy they want 1450.00 so went to the town where I send the bill in and they said that the price is dictated by the state and they said it did seam strangely high And they said I should fight it but I would have to go to the RMV they are the worst I might just pay instead of going that route ( they did say they had a Bugatti excise bill was 67k!!!)
So i should have updated before So I didn’t pay I disputed the value and won!! Sent them my sticker for my pp2 was around 51k and they said I don’t have to pay for the options so the value was 40k so the lesson is don’t just pay them fight it! the problem would have been they would have had the value wrong for the entire time I had my car!!

Last edited:

Steelhorse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erek
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT Coupe
Well done! Here's to hoping you don't have to go through the same ordeal every year!

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well done! Here's to hoping you don't have to go through the same ordeal every year!
There's a fair bet he will. On my wife's first Subaru, where the state had the wrong original value, we needed to fix it every year. After a few years, though, the difference in value between what she should have been paying and what they were charging wasn't big enough to go argue about.

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
that's nothing compared to some European countries. :shock:

I think if you buy a car in Norway your sales tax is 100% of the purchase price. I know in Austria it's 40%. Need to pay for far more bureaucrats, regulations, and the low quality, wonderful (in their dreams) single payer health car system in Europe.

MountainStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
Double check your bill. Same thing happened with my GF’s wrangler sport. The town valued it as a loaded rubicon. Made a few calls to the town/state and they took care of it. Same thing happened to my boss with his WRX, they valued it as a loaded STI.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Double check your bill. Same thing happened with my GF’s wrangler sport. The town valued it as a loaded rubicon. Made a few calls to the town/state and they took care of it. Same thing happened to my boss with his WRX, they valued it as a loaded STI.
Yeah something is wrong, I just got my excise bill and it was about $880. No way a PP1 Mustang should be higher than mine.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
THIS STATE IS A MESS! Can't wait for Florida waterfront properties to take a dive so we can get out of this place. I have 4 cars, and that damn bill comes around and all I can do is swear. The worst part is that the money isn't even spent on roads...the original reason for the tax. They use it per discretion like a slush fund in infrastructure and town needs. """"General Laws imposes an excise on the privilege of registering a motor vehicle""""" F***ING Privileged after a 6.25% sales tax and registration fees.
AMEN BROTHER!!! Spot on.
I just paid mine about 2 weeks ago.

Yeah something is wrong, I just got my excise bill and it was about $880.
That's the EXACT amount my truck excise tax was due it's first year.
2016 Ram Sport 4X4 rcsb. I almost fell over.
Sponsored