Sponsored

Damaged s550, how much to repair?

Splash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2017, Ford Fiesta ST200.
Gary - I assume that you had a few "words" with the van driver? :giggle:

Bob
There is a court case pending. I won't go into detail until that is settled. But let's just say my dashcam proves otherwise.
Sponsored

OP
OP

N90dlw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Quick update for anyone interested. Ford havent yet quoted but been in touch to say they will quote with 2 options. First quote will be to repair and respray the current panel. The second quote will be a replacement panel.

The guy I spoke to was very keen to tell me the panel swap option is a lot of work involving cutting into the roof. He said it would involve a few joins and plenty of filler

I've got some prices from other local body shops. So far most are around ÂŁ800 plus vat

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
If it was mine I certainly wouldn’t want a new 1/4 Panel fitting, would end up with more filler in the car than just repairing it due to 3 welded joints that would be required for a new 1/4.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
If it was mine I certainly wouldn’t want a new 1/4 Panel fitting, would end up with more filler in the car than just repairing it due to 3 welded joints that would be required for a new 1/4.
Plus I've been told by a body shop the new welds and adjoining areas won't be as corrosion proof.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I blame the confidence-inspiring Michelins :wink:
I blame gates and wind..... :D

A good panel beater will fix it no problem - it all depends if you want to pay fords extortionate pricing for a new rear 1/4 which i was told was at ÂŁ1500, pre window/new seals/paint/welding/cutting etc.... just for the part. (I got my hole yanked out, welded, filled in, blended and painted for little over ÂŁ90 (mates rates, would have been about ÂŁ500 to an insurance job he said)

Sponsored

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
I blame gates and wind..... :D

A good panel beater will fix it no problem - it all depends if you want to pay fords extortionate pricing for a new rear 1/4 which i was told was at ÂŁ1500, pre window/new seals/paint/welding/cutting etc.... just for the part. (I got my hole yanked out, welded, filled in, blended and painted for little over ÂŁ90 (mates rates, would have been about ÂŁ500 to an insurance job he said)
£90?! There’s more than that in filler and paint materials alone! Must be a brilliant job :cwl:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
£90?! There’s more than that in filler and paint materials alone! Must be a brilliant job :cwl:
He's a mate of mine so got it at an evidently ridiculous price. I say that, i literally paid for materials only, which was a rod of weld, tub of filler, and the paint. Time/expertise came free (due to the mates rates).

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
It's usually possible to get hold of surplus paint relatively cheaply...:wink:

redpaint.JPG

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
It's usually possible to get hold of surplus paint relatively cheaply...:wink:

redpaint.JPG
Slap it on with a brush, job done right?

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I would never want a panel replaced unless absolulty necessary. A good body can make that disappear with relatively little work. I have a buddy that does side work after his job as a body guy. He can work miracles with a slide hammer and weld on tabs. He has been doing it about 30 years and used very little filler.