95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
We hope to drive the Cherohala Skyway or the Dragon on our way into Hiawassee. Saturday is completely open for us
I'd go with the Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap. You will need to get a local room (use google) so you can hit it at dawn and go twice. The mid-afternoon is the worst time to be there. There are plenty of less crowded great roads in the area that you can drive later in the day. It's a great place to make some great pictures of your car.
https://tailofthedragon.com/

Cherohala is great with fewer traffic issues.

Six Gaps has its own website, and it gets crowded (+ lots of bicycles who hog the road). The lodging can go from $50-$250 a night so use google. Early morning is best on the main roads and try the less popular roads after lunch (some are County roads so use your GPS).
https://sixgap.com/

Hiawassee, GA is a great area to enter to GA at the NC border. You can also come in at Hayesville, NC where there is Jacky Jones Ford (the burger place across the street is good). All of these areas have nice lake views and nice uncongested roads.

From the Atlanta area, we will drive up Hwy 400 to Dahlonega and go straight when Hwy 400 ends. This is a county road. It takes you to the Hwy to Cleveland, GA. Just before you get to Cleveland, there is a bypass to the State Hwy to Helen, GA. Don't stop in Helen since the road is Hwy 75 to the Unicol Gap (great road--do it twice).

Brake early, turn in, and go out fast. Most turns are late-apex.

alan0614

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford/Blue
We have driven the Dragon quite a few times and the Skyway as well. We will do one or the other over to Tellico before head to Hiawassee for the night.

I have never been in the Six Gap area, looking for a route that would be best for us. Not knowing anything about the roads we were looking at a route of 75 to Helen, us 348 to Choestoe, 180 to 129 to Turners Corner to Stonepile Gap, up 60 to 180 back towards Hiawassee.

Any guidance or tour guides for Six Gap area would be appreciated. If there are any stops we should make, scenic, waterfalls, etc. it would be great to know those as well.

Hope to see some of you guys there.

OP
OP
95CobraR

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
....Hiawassee for the night.

I have never been in the Six Gap area, looking for a route that would be best for us. Not knowing anything about the roads we were looking at a route of 75 to Helen.
Go south on Hwy 75 from Hiawassee. Turn right on Hwy 180 before before Helen as the Hwy 180 road is just speculator. You will drive uphill towards Brasstown Bald.and Jacks Gap. Don't stop. Hwy 180 will then test you on a smooth road with a lot of difficult downhill turns that are very challenging.

Many motorcyles have run off road here and not to be found for weeks (that is the rumor).

I'd suggest driving Hwy 180 and turning around and doing it again.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
The Ford dealership just indicated that my GT350 is now scheduled to be delivered the week of August the 5th.
I may be able to get the new car up there on the 23rd if it shows up as now scheduled. I will only need it in my garage for a few days getting the paint "dialed in". I told the dealer, DO NOT WASH OR CLEAN...!!!

Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Alan, just sent you the figure 8 i run most frequently up there. plenty of corners and while I don't have it all memorized the tricky corners stick out. There's a few sharp turns over a crest that can catch you off guard if you're on the beans too hard.

alan0614

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford/Blue
Thanks Kyle, really looking forward to new roads.

OP
OP
95CobraR

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
I just got the call from my Ford dealer an hour ago. My car is in. They are closed tomorrow so I'll pick it up very early on Friday (cash deal). The MSRP is $61.5K (no option car).

It will be ready to go in August (it may be on its first oil change by then).

OP
OP
95CobraR

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Three friends and I are planning to do some of Six Gap next week. It will be a weekday to avoid traffic. Probably get lunch at Turner's Corner since it just reopened a couple of months ago.

Let me know if any of you are interested and I'll let you know the timing once worked out.

OP
OP
95CobraR

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
Three friends and I are planning to do some of Six Gap next week. It will be a weekday to avoid traffic.
I can go (sorry for the delay, the storm Wednesday knocked out my internet).

I'd avoid construction on Hwy 129 south near Dahlonega, GA. North Hwy 129 is paved and smooth with good grip. The weather report for next week is afternoon thunder storms. I think drive through lunch and get food later?

There is no grip when these roads are wet.

Voodoo3e.JPG

Also, I am staying <20 mph over the speed limit. Any resulting ticket would kill my insurance rates (it's called a super-speeder ticket).

I noticed some local cops around the small cities. I saw two Georgia State Patrolman within the Six Gaps. Be careful.

OP
OP
95CobraR

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
Just another thought. I was driving up into the mountains a few years ago as a member of the early Porsche club. A really nice early 911S (worth $125K+) missed the turn and lost control. It happened to be on one of five places that a mistake can send you down into the canyon.

JeffD.jpg

JeffDa.jpg

You do not want to be the guy that lost control and luckily hit a small tree before plunging another 500' downhill. We had to carefully get him out of the car before the car slipped (it didn't).

The Park Ranger gave him a ticket (going into the woods requires a ticket). We helped the tow truck driver get the car pulled out of the woods.

Be careful as this is no fooling around.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
We have no picked a day yet. Right now the weather looks best for Tuesday - Thursday. Once it gets closer I'll let you know.

Also, we do "spirited" drives. Keeping below 20 under should not be a problem. No one wants to leave the pavement, or get a ticket.

OP
OP
95CobraR

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
.....Also, we do "spirited" drives. Keeping below 20 under should not be a problem. No one wants to leave the pavement, or get a ticket.
I understand. The speed limit will be 55 Mph on the open roads down to 45 Mph. It is 35 Mph going down the mountain on Hwy 60 from Woody's Gap (south of Suches).

It is easy to go over the posted limit. Some turns will show nothing ahead for the next three turns (perfect). You will also top some hills with no visibility on the other side (be careful, that is where you'll find radar). I guess my point is to be "spirited" but be smart.

My last group drive was one that I just had a fall back and let 'em go. The leader was doing at least 90+ Mph on an open road where a tractor could pull out from his farm.

I just want everyone to be safe and get home without a superspeeder ticket. Nonetheless, everyone will have fun testing the car's abilities on roads that are rare for most owners.
Sponsored