Sponsored

Dr. Colorchip and ceramic coating

JimInTexas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, Orange Fury, PP1, 10AT, Magneride, Active Exhaust, Safe/Smart, 401A, GT350 Black Spoiler
Has anyone used Dr. Colorchip on a ceramic coated surface and if so, any issues? I had read a user comment that the blending solution can strip away the coating. I tried posting a question on Dr. Colorchip's site, but their contact form is down. Thanks!
Sponsored

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I did my hood, wiped it down with iso really well, applied the Dr color chip then recoated the whole panel. Looks great.

Mooch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜14 Fusion / Mustang GT Premium on order
I have been asking this same question, and I really canā€™t seem to find an answer. Will the wipe off solution strip my ceramic coating?

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
From videos I've seen only polishing/compounding will remove ceramic coatings for sure.

Mooch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just wanted to post this in case anybody is wondering. Dr. Colorchip IS SAFE for ceramic coated cars. I looked everywhere and couldnā€™t find the answer so I called the company directly. The solution you use to wipe off the excess paint will not harm your ceramic coating in any way. I used it on my Gteqniq crystal serum ultra coated car without issues

Sponsored

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
From videos I've seen only polishing/compounding will remove ceramic coatings for sure.
Weaker ceramic coatings can be damaged or even removed by very caustic cleaners. Some need compounding. A few say they require sanding to remove.

Coatings do a good job of resisting acids, not so good with caustic solutions.

Mooch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I am talking about ceramic coatings Iā€™m not talking about the cheap DIY amazon specials. Iā€™m talking about a professional only grade coating like Gteqniq Crystal Serum Ultra.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
CSL is one that claims to require sanding to remove. Haven't tested it. You could very likely compound through it, although it might take a little bit of time.

I'm well aware of all of the professional-grade coatings available and am certified to install one or 3. Even many of those can be removed through compounding. A coating layer is virtually nothing, 2-4 microns thick in most cases. Doesn't take much to cut through it.

Just because it needs sanding as a means of mechanical removal doesn't mean that it cannot be damaged by the right chemical.
Sponsored