Back up camera

AW2wife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AW
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang Convertible
If you have issues with your back up camera, please call the Ford corporate customer support line (800-392-3673) and ‬report it with your VIN. When they get a certain number of reports, they will do a recall to correct the issues. Even if you already had yours fixed call- you can be reimbursed for your expense!!
Sponsored

Adf020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang ecoboost premium automatic convertible
What was the problem with your camera?

OP
OP

AW2wife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AW
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang Convertible
What was the problem with your camera?
My backup camera stopped working n May of 2018 for an unknown reason. They display screen simply says, "Camera unavailable." When I took it to the dealership they said it needed to be replaced or rewired, but I declined the service since it was going to cost me between $700 to $900 since it's not under warranty. They said that they have seen a number of these issues with the Ford Mustangs recently. I began searching online to see if I could find a video that may guide me to solving the problem myself, yet I found blogs and forums with lots of people having similar issues. I recently called Ford Corporate's Customer Service number to be informed that they will not recall the faulty wiring until the have a certain number of documented complains. She went on to advise me to pay to get it fixed, and IF it ever does get recalled, I will be reimbursed. I'm not spending that kind of money on it, so I hope everyone that is having issues will see posts like this and call the corporate number.

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
I thought recalls were only for safety issues. like seatbelts, things catching fire etc

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
I think I saw the issue on this forum, is the wiring harness being stressed when truck lids open? Sucks man.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
People drove around for 100+ years without them, I'd imagine the OP can manage.

Or....ya know......just spend the money.

I'd imagine figuring out what the problem is can lead to a cheaper way to get it working.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I thought recalls were only for safety issues. like seatbelts, things catching fire etc
It may fall into a recall as I believe vehicles are now mandated to have rear cameras.

Mike's Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 401A

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
That article was posted on May 2, 2018 and says "All newly manufactured vehicles to be sold in the U.S. are required as of Tuesday to have backup cameras equipped as a standard feature." Tuesday was May 1, 2018.

So this is not a requirement of the OP's 2016 vert.
Agreed, but if a recall is sent out because of the law it might apply to all S550 Mustangs if it can be shown to be the same issue. Ford should not be asking the OP to pay $700 to $900 for a possibly known issue.
Sponsored