O2 & HO2 emissions monitor question

OP
OP

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Doubt it because the first time I ran into this problem I was on stock injectors with the Lund 93 emissions tune. Went for over 6,000 miles on that with the O2 and HO2 the only red items. Somehow the CAT went green.
Well crap there goes that theory. So the common denominator is aftermarket tune (obviously). It’s just weird that all the tuners act like it’s behaving correctly, but none of them behave like stock and pass with just a couple days of driving if that. I wonder if any of them really understand the issue since very few of them live where emissions testing is required.
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Well crap there goes that theory. So the common denominator is aftermarket tune (obviously). It’s just weird that all the tuners act like it’s behaving correctly, but none of them behave like stock and pass with just a couple days of driving if that. I wonder if any of them really understand the issue since very few of them live where emissions testing is required.
Yeah. They stick to their terms of "We don't guarantee it will pass". I didn't have a single issue with my 2013 FR-S with a catless header, catted front pipe and a tune. Passed the OBDII in flying colors and didn't even have to worry about the monitors. I'm sure several other people have had no issues with other cars as well. Now with the Mustang, I'm driving it most days and went I go to park it, I'm checking the IM monitors just to see the red lights on the O2 readiness part and just sigh.

I see TONS of modded Mustangs in Austin, Prochargers, Whipples, all sorts. I wonder how everyone else is doing the inspection with all of that?

jabrax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red PP GT
Im really getting desperate. Got busted with the expired stickers today actually trying a drive cycle. I can probably get out of the tickets If i can get this damn thing to go green with the cat, o2 and ho2. From reading the post in this thread, not looking very good

Vroom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yeah. They stick to their terms of "We don't guarantee it will pass". I didn't have a single issue with my 2013 FR-S with a catless header, catted front pipe and a tune. Passed the OBDII in flying colors and didn't even have to worry about the monitors. I'm sure several other people have had no issues with other cars as well. Now with the Mustang, I'm driving it most days and went I go to park it, I'm checking the IM monitors just to see the red lights on the O2 readiness part and just sigh.

I see TONS of modded Mustangs in Austin, Prochargers, Whipples, all sorts. I wonder how everyone else is doing the inspection with all of that?
Had BRZ as well loved/miss that thing on a autocross course.
I think i'm in the same boat as you (Texas), from what i gather you also have an 18 manifold swap with a lund "everythings on i promise" emission tune. I'm still on stock headers and can't get 02 02Heater to pass 400 miles in it. Got most to pass even on E85 if that matters. I'm thinking about just swapping my intake manifold/tune back as much of a pain in ass as that would be, don't have manifold anymore since mine broke so id have to buy another...

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Had BRZ as well loved/miss that thing on a autocross course.
I think i'm in the same boat as you (Texas), from what i gather you also have an 18 manifold swap with a lund "everythings on i promise" emission tune. I'm still on stock headers and can't get 02 02Heater to pass 400 miles in it. Got most to pass even on E85 if that matters. I'm thinking about just swapping my intake manifold/tune back as much of a pain in ass that would be, don't have manifold anymore since mine broke so id have to buy another...
Yeah, I'm still working on my O2/HO2. Just ordered the Vibrant J-Style spacers. I'm starting to really believe they need to be spaced out because I did throw a P0420 code on my previous tune. Current tune the code is turned off, but I don't know if that's messing with the ability to go green or not with the code turned off. The sensors are not grayed out on the Ngauge.

My plan now is to install the Vibrant J-Style spacers, then flash back the tune with the codes on and give that a shot. The rear O2's just need to see less flow and that should be good enough to go green based on everything I have read. It's not a problem with them not heating up. I can get the CAT to go green on my ARH longtube catted headers just fine.

Sponsored

Vroom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yeah, I'm still working on my O2/HO2. Just ordered the Vibrant J-Style spacers. I'm starting to really believe they need to be spaced out because I did throw a P0420 code on my previous tune. Current tune the code is turned off, but I don't know if that's messing with the ability to go green or not with the code turned off. The sensors are not grayed out on the Ngauge.

My plan now is to install the Vibrant J-Style spacers, then flash back the tune with the codes on and give that a shot. The rear O2's just need to see less flow and that should be good enough to go green based on everything I have read. It's not a problem with them not heating up. I can get the CAT to go green on my ARH longtube catted headers just fine.
Well good luck to you on this, I keep finding your posts about emissions in other threads. Was hoping you went green already on 02/H02. Have you ever heard of anyone with the 18 manifold getting 02/H02 to go green? So far i haven't found anyone. I'm going to let my car get to 500 or 600 miles then ill swap to back to base tune and stock 15-17 manifold. Getting kinda sketchy, i have no plates to speak of, just insurance and head on a swivel.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Well good luck to you on this, I keep finding your posts about emissions in other threads. Was hoping you went green already on 02/H02. Have you ever heard of anyone with the 18 manifold getting 02/H02 to go green? So far i haven't found anyone. I'm going to let my car get to 500 or 600 miles then ill swap to back to base tune and stock 15-17 manifold. Getting kinda sketchy, i have no plates to speak of, just insurance and head on a swivel.
Thanks! Nope, I have not. This is my first run with this so I'm researching everything I can, working with the tuner, and messing with spacers to make it so it doesn't read so much flow regardless of having high flow cats or not.

Vroom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks! Nope, I have not. This is my first run with this so I'm researching everything I can, working with the tuner, and messing with spacers to make it so it doesn't read so much flow regardless of having high flow cats or not.
Drove 450 miles on the 18 manifold on 02 02H red(not ready), so I went back to stock and within 10 miles 02 02H was green, catalytic ready as well within 5 more miles.
Since I no longer had my old mani and to make switching easy I had to buy some things. For $150 on eBay I got a good deal a set of stock injectors with rail already attached, 15-17 intake manifold with an extra throttle body. Within 2 hours I was swapped back to stock. To be clear I have always had stock exhaust manifolds with cats. Only non stock things I had on it were Roush intake with insert put back in for stock tune and Cervini exhaust cat back which deletes resonator suitcase. Mentioning that because I heard some guy claim his resonator/cat back was not letting it go ready.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Drove 450 miles on the 18 manifold on 02 02H red(not ready), so I went back to stock and within 10 miles 02 02H was green, catalytic ready as well within 5 more miles.
Since I no longer had my old mani and to make switching easy I had to buy some things. For $150 on eBay I got a good deal a set of stock injectors with rail already attached, 15-17 intake manifold with an extra throttle body. Within 2 hours I was swapped back to stock. To be clear I have always had stock exhaust manifolds with cats. Only non stock things I had on it were Roush intake with insert put back in for stock tune and Cervini exhaust cat back which deletes resonator suitcase. Mentioning that because I heard some guy claim his resonator/cat back was not letting it go ready.
Yeah, it's ridiculous how fast it readies on the stock tune. Hoping I don't have to go that route.

OP
OP

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Yep those monitors have all gone green on the stock tune in less than 30 miles. I’m starting to doubt the tuners are able to make the aftermarket tunes run close enough to stock to pass. Won’t stop them from blindly sending out revisions though.

Sponsored

Vroom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yep those monitors have all gone green on the stock tune in less than 30 miles. I’m starting to doubt the tuners are able to make the aftermarket tunes run close enough to stock to pass. Won’t stop them from blindly sending out revisions though.
Almost all of mine went green at about 30miles today and I was able to pass inspection and get plates. Fuel was only one left but that’s good enough. I just wish they would at least tell us straight up that it absolutely won’t pass with non stock manifold. I could have saved myself a lot of gas and time.

OP
OP

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Almost all of mine went green at about 30miles today and I was able to pass inspection and get plates. Fuel was only one left but that’s good enough. I just wish they would at least tell us straight up that it absolutely won’t pass with non stock manifold. I could have saved myself a lot of gas and time.
I wonder if any of the email tunes actually pass the monitors? Can’t recall seeing anyone post of passing monitors regardless of how modified their cars are. The only replies I see is you gotta know a “guy”, lol.

Safridi22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shobi
Vehicle(s)
GT V8 Blue
Old thread but im dealing with this now. I have a gt350 manifold with imrcs locked. I also have a paxton on e85.
So from what i gathered, ill have to go back to stock 15-17 manifold and unlock the imrcs?.....im tuned by lund.

Thanks

Vroom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Old thread but im dealing with this now. I have a gt350 manifold with imrcs locked. I also have a paxton on e85.
So from what i gathered, ill have to go back to stock 15-17 manifold and unlock the imrcs?.....im tuned by lund.

Thanks
We all had the 18 GT manifold i believe, but with all your mods this still should apply.

Depends on the laws in your state/county/city in which you live in and if they plug into your obd2 port during inspection. It won't hurt or cost anything just to go talk to someone at an inspection testing site for what passes or fails. Just be nice/cool and they might even hook you up or give you info on a place that can pass you(getting much harder to come by). Also, lund probably has alot of things (02,02H, CAT, FUEL SYS, EVAP SYS, MISFIRE, ect) disabled so you will fail immediately at least in Houston where I reside, turning these on probably will not help though - talk to lund but they weren't much help for me. If you have the ability to register your car somewhere else with more lax testing then i'd try that first.

Assuming you have stock exhaust headers, then the swap back isn't that hard and you can swap back in a couple hours and pass emissions same day(its really quick to pass on stock). Since i tossed mine, i pieced together a stock 15-17GT manifold for yearly swapping with extra vacuum lines, evap valve, injectors/fuel rail, & throttle body just to make swapping easier each year. And yes you would need it completely stock with imrc's on and with stock tune file loaded to oem.

Last edited:

jabrax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red PP GT

Thanks
Not sure if you have been in touch with Lund yet, i would definately reach out. Im procharged, they sent me a tune for emissions, and it worked rather quickly
Sponsored