Sponsored

options for aftermarket connecting rods & pistons for the Voodoo 5.2

rick_brade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & Factory Five Mk2 roadster
My engine is already out so I figured I may as well consider upgrading my next weak link: my rods & pistons.

I'm targeting 1000 crank horsepower but so far I can only find Manley 140434-8 Rods with an advertised rating of 750+ horsepower. I'm already exceeding that on the factory rods, but that's the best aftermarket option I can find.

Some of the twin turbo guys are already hitting 1200 horsepower, so I know there has to be better options out there. I'm hesitant to just pick my own combination because I just don't know enough about the balancing and harmonic issues with the 5.2.

Can anyone recommend a rod/piston combination for my application?
small 20180629_121305.jpg
Sponsored

PencilGeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR278, 2008 BMW M3
My engine is already out so I figured I may as well consider upgrading my next weak link: my rods & pistons.

I'm targeting 1000 crank horsepower but so far I can only find Manley 140434-8 Rods with an advertised rating of 750+ horsepower. I'm already exceeding that on the factory rods, but that's the best aftermarket option I can find.

Some of the twin turbo guys are already hitting 1200 horsepower, so I know there has to be better options out there. I'm hesitant to just pick my own combination because I just don't know enough about the balancing and harmonic issues with the 5.2.

I think you have a typo in your Manly part number. I think you meant to refer to 14043-8.

You don't have to look for a rod in a catalog. You can contact just about any rod manufacturer and have them made with the same specs. You don't even need to keep the same specs if you're getting pistons made at the same time. Assuming you don't change the crank, then you'll need to keep the same compression height. However, even within that requirement, you could slightly change the rod length and pin-bore diameter to make it have lower piston acceleration and a stronger wrist-pin.

The Manly rods seem to be rather dirt cheap $$ @ about $800 a set. They also list ARP-2000 as an upgraded bolt. To be honest, both price and listing ARP-2000 as an upgrade make me a bit skeptical. I usually pay about $2400 per set for custom Carrillo's -- which I've never seen fail for 1000hp BMW's.

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP

Hey give Fat house fabrications a call. They have built a few crazy GT350's . I am sure they can help you.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple

Sponsored

sumfoo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt350, 57-tbird, 61 Galaxie, 2014 Wrangler unlimited rubicon, and a 1999 F150
i mean the *really* good rods are typically made to order if i'm not mistaken... just depends on how much you want to pay.

Honestly manley's base h beam rods as well as eagle and anyone else who has that manufacturer forge their rods for them i wouldn't trust much more than the stock parts for HP and less for RPM and balance.

Manley also has really high end parts

Honestly i want to see what the predator is running for rods.

TonyJ5150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Callies U14825 Ultra Billet 300M Coyote Connecting Rods - Call MPR....they will take care of you!
Sponsored