Sponsored

GT500 vs It's competitors: Is it really overprice ?

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
You guys that are buying are a schizo bunch. We got one guy running around referring to everyone not buying a GT500 as "the poors". And others crying about having to pay for stripes. :crazy:
im far from rich, but the people complaining are ridiculous, and endless joy in trolling. You can decipher who genuinely doesnt like the car, and those makin things up.
When mine comes in, we will have to meetup and have s side by side comparison
Sponsored

Jm22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S90
It seems fine for the mid-70s to mid-80s when you compare it to the ZL1 and Redeye.

The Lc500 isn't a track car and it's interior blows away Fords, but it is luxury car with a nice exahust and it should. Same with 911. Pure power isn't everything and Porsche does a phenomenal job balancing power and weight. The 911 and 911s are low to mid 3s. They're not track cars anymore though as they've really become sport gts, except for the RS. Caymans are the Porsche track cars and the GT500 competes with those price wise, except for the GT4.

M4 is being refreshed and the G80 should be in the low to mid 3 second range with the S58 motor and will have switchable AWD/RWD. I just don't like how big the 3 and 4 series have become. Also, the exhaust sucks on their S58. I think the M2CS will be more competitive.

We'll see about the C8, but I suspect the mid-engine is going to offer a fantastic driving experience due to the weight balance.

Ford doesn't compete with Lexus, Porsche, or BMW for interior, fit and finish, paint, or dealership experience, nor should it, they're different customer bases for the most part.

I would choose the Mustang over the ZL1 and Redeye, without question. Not sure about the C8, but a back seat is nice for convenience. 90-100k, I'd be looking at Porsche and AMG GT.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
im far from rich, but the people complaining are ridiculous, and endless joy in trolling. You can decipher who genuinely doesnt like the car, and those makin things up.
When mine comes in, we will have to meetup and have s side by side comparison
Thats fine. My money is on me winning a drag race. And you murdering me on a road course. We can get a beer afterwards. Just don't call me poor because I drink Budweiser and not craft beer.:crackup:

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Biased on those PCs, the stang interior blows away the fisher price Vette interior, ,and that red looks like a Hugh Hefner Tonka toy. Yuck.
I feel the opposite. And the leather dash option on the vette is pretty nice on the c7.

Sponsored

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
0-60 to me is overrated. not many cars/drivers can hit these professionally tested numbers. maybe teslas and mclarens and 918 spyders. those u just smash and go. i care more about rolling power, when you're already moving along and have a good stretch of concrete. i think the gt500 is gonna kill it on roll racing. i dont know how it's gonna hook up off the line on the street though. but on a roll, it's gonna make a zl1 cry mercy.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
You guys that are buying are a schizo bunch. We got one guy running around referring to everyone not buying a GT500 as "the poors". And others crying about having to pay for stripes. :crazy:
No. We are a group putting our money down. It doesn't have to be this way. I respect people's decision and I expect the same.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
A clear indication that Ford really doesn’t want to do that but will if they have to. When I was a tooling engineer we used to call that a “functional no-bid”. Suppliers didn’t want to NOT bid on a job, concerned that they wouldn’t be asked to bid on other jobs, so they would submit a bid that they knew wouldn’t win the job. Ford is basically saying “yes we offer painted stripes....but we really don’t wanna do it, so it’ll cost you.” Pricing it above most custom paint jobs will keep the requests down to a number they can handle.
Great point of Ford not wanting to provide painted stripes unless there is a lot of money involved.

Did Ford not offer OTT painted stripes for the 2019 GT350/R and then withdrew that option near the start of the 2019MY?

I remember when the 2007 GT500's first out with the coupe being available with OTT stripes but 2007 GT500 convertibles could not be ordered with OTT stripes therefore that created a lot of unhappy GT500 customers.

For the 2008 MY Ford's attempt to try to appease some of the masses who wanted to order OTT stripes for their convertibles therefore they came out with "Option 54R" and as long as a person new about this option you could order Red OTT stripes for a 2008 convertible as long as the car was either White or Black.

That interesting and unique option (54R) continued into the 2009 MY for the GT500 and then that option was discontinued for the 2010 MY and beyond as Ford came out with OTT stripes (3M) for the all of the 2010 to 2014 MY convertibles.

It should be noted that Ford had a third party supplier who applied the stripes for all coupes and convertibles for the 2007 to 2009 GT500's and after such poor quality and workmanship from their supplier they decided to take matters in their own hands and purchased their own striping machine at a huge expense and started applying stripes in house as of the 2010 MY.

An interesting side note that in 2009 the FR assembly plant only produced 6 White GT500 convertibles with Option 54R (OTT Red Stripes) with the very last convertible to come with that option ending up sitting on a Ford dealership showroom floor in Ohio for just over a year before I located the car.

I ended up buying that brand new convertible at below MSRP as the dealership had no idea what they had and drove it for quite some time before selling it to a collector in Wisconsin.

If you get a chance check out the OTT stripes for the 2007 to 2009 GT500's versus the 2010 to 2014 GT500's and suggest that once Ford took over installing the stripes that the quality certainly improved.

:sunglasses:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The base Porsche 991.2 911 (2017+) is doing 0-60 in mid 3’s with the 911 S hitting low 3’s so they are definitely not significantly slower. For $75k-ish I think the GT500 makes sense. If you start getting near the $100k range a Porsche 911 makes much more sense. The other cars just have zero interest to me. The Redeye is a cool car but it’s a boat and I wouldn’t really want one. I’m not really a huge fan of BMW and I can’t bring myself to remotely care about a Camaro other then vintage models. I do like Corvettes but I just don’t feel like their build quality is up to Ford’s at all from the C7’s I have driven and looked at. They are a bargain right now though so it’s hard to ignore that, I just couldn’t pull the trigger on one over the Mustang. If I sell the Bullitt anytime soon it’ll be for a 911 though most likely over the GT500 just due to getting near that $100k price point I just feel is Porsche territory and I think the 991.2 Carrera S is the better car.
Google says 4.2 seconds 0-60 for a 2019 911 that costs $113,000. Definitely a lot slower than the GT500.

roll racing..
:giggle:

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Google says 4.2 seconds 0-60 for a 2019 911 that costs $113,000. Definitely a lot slower than the GT500.
From the Car and Driver article about the 992 Carrera S (https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a25994668/2020-porsche-911-carrera-drive/) "...We expect the quickest rear-drive Carrera S to hit 60 mph in 3.1 seconds, while the all-wheel-drive 4S should hit the mark a tenth quicker..."

But I would definitely spring for the 718 GT4 (which comes with a manual only :) ) if I were shopping for a car in that price range.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
From the Car and Driver article about the 992 Carrera S (https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a25994668/2020-porsche-911-carrera-drive/) "...We expect the quickest rear-drive Carrera S to hit 60 mph in 3.1 seconds, while the all-wheel-drive 4S should hit the mark a tenth quicker..."

But I would definitely spring for the 718 GT4 (which comes with a manual only :) ) if I were shopping for a car in that price range.
Definitely as you go to higher models of 911 they are faster. That's not what I was talking about though. You can spend $300,000 or more on a 911 if you really want to.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Definitely as you go to higher models of 911 they are faster. That's not what I was talking about though. You can spend $300,000 or more on a 911 if you really want to.
People should be comparing the likes of a GT3 to the new 500. Not some entry level model. Heck, my GT350Rs hang with GT3s at the track. However the GT3 had the edge. I believe the 500 will surpass that level of performance.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
People should be comparing the likes of a GT3 to the new 500. Not some entry level model. Heck, my GT350Rs hang with GT3s at the track. However the GT3 had the edge. I believe the 500 will surpass that level of performance.
The gt500 is not touching a gt3 on track. You may have hung with the driver, but the gt350R can't compete with a gt3 with equal drivers.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
The gt500 is not touching a gt3 on track. You may have hung with the driver, but the gt350R can't compete with a gt3 with equal drivers.
Yes, I believe that is what I said. Now, the 500? I think you are wrong.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I compared a GT3 to my regular GT350 and they had similar grip and handling ability on track (I drove both on track within a week of each other). I liked my GT350 better due to the manual transmission and the engine sound. I was only comparing the GT500 to base 911s because the GT3 costs so much more.

But yes I agree on track the GT500 should be very competitive with Porsche GT3s in terms of grip and track times. The Porsche might be preferable for feel and balance, but it's so much more expensive that you would expect it to be better in those ways.

The GT3 will cost a lot more and it will be built better. The interior will be nicer in the Porsche. And it will sound ehhh like most Porsches do.
Sponsored