Sponsored

Front only camber adjustment vs no adjustment

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Too late now but for future reference toe plates like these are great for checking toe and for making adjustments to front toe. I haven't tried them for adjusting rear toe on an S550 and don't know if changing rear toe changes camber. They are somewhat "technique dependent" so it is a good idea to "calibrate your technique" to match toe data from a TRUSTED alignment shop.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...C9gwbIL7FsR0hPUWfE-Hko0fCHsu8eQxoCPIAQAvD_BwE

For one person use toe plates which have magnets on one plate to hold the tape measure tab are very handy. So is having the included measuring tapes.
Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I was also under the impression that you could adjust camber without affecting toe. I now understand why that is incorrect.
I was thinking I could drive to the track with street settings, add camber, enjoy my track day, change settings back, and drive home.

Now that I know that is not the case, what are double duty (daily/track) people doing with their camber settings? Leave it factory, drive on the street with aggressive camber, meet somewhere in the middle, or get an alignment before and after every track day?? Input is appreciated

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I was also under the impression that you could adjust camber without affecting toe. I now understand why that is incorrect.
I was thinking I could drive to the track with street settings, add camber, enjoy my track day, change settings back, and drive home.

Now that I know that is not the case, what are double duty (daily/track) people doing with their camber settings? Leave it factory, drive on the street with aggressive camber, meet somewhere in the middle, or get an alignment before and after every track day?? Input is appreciated
If you have camber plates with camber-only adjustment, what you could do is have a fairly aggressive street setting (-2.0 camber, 0.00 toe), and when adjusting to say, -2.5-2.7 or more, live with the additional toe out that you get, OR when you do the initial alignment comparison, take careful notes of how many turns you have to adjust the tie rods to get it back to your street setting.

The other way is to use the strings method for toe.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you have camber plates with camber-only adjustment, what you could do is have a fairly aggressive street setting (-2.0 camber, 0.00 toe), and when adjusting to say, -2.5-2.7 or more, live with the additional toe out that you get, OR when you do the initial alignment comparison, take careful notes of how many turns you have to adjust the tie rods to get it back to your street setting.

The other way is to use the strings method for toe.
Is there a decent middle ground setting to use for both street and track? How bad is it to drive on the street with say 2 to 2.5 negative camber?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a decent middle ground setting to use for both street and track? How bad is it to drive on the street with say 2 to 2.5 negative camber?
Fine with 0.00 toe. Most tire wear comes from toe. I run -2.2 on the street and 0 toe.

Sponsored

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
It depends on how many street vs track miles you do. With lots of negative camber the street miles wear out the inside of the tire, track miles will hit the outsides. It can balance out depending on the ratio of street to track.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It depends on how many street vs track miles you do. With lots of negative camber the street miles wear out the inside of the tire, track miles will hit the outsides. It can balance out depending on the ratio of street to track.
I have different sets of wheels/tires for street & track.
I'll just try running -2 up front for street & track and watch my street tires for unusual wear

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I have different sets of wheels/tires for street & track.
I'll just try running -2 up front for street & track and watch my street tires for unusual wear
I've had that or nearly -2 for 2.5 years and haven't seen any odd wear patterns.

Sponsored

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
https://www.wheelalignmenttools.com/product/2-wheel-alignment-system/

I use these toe plates to adjust my toe and camber. It’s a trial and error method, but eventually you get good at understanding what a 1/4 and 1/2 turn of the tie rods do, and where -3 and -2 is on your camber plates.

Also sharing that my Mustang seems to be happiest at -3.00 to -3.20 up front and -2.00 to -2.2 at the rear. Then for street I take a lot of that camber out.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I'm currently running -2° front camber with 1/16 total toe. Nearly 1000 miles on my new tires. So far no wear issues. I'm trying to monitor closely but so far all is good and it's super fun to drive with this setup

MustangMystique

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Mystique
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
This is an amazing thread, and there's a lot of great information here! I found this because, after my oil change yesterday (with tire rotation), the shop noticed inner tire wear in the front tires. (See picture.)
IMG_20221011_214634_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

Not what I'd consider normal! She's a 2019 GT Premium PP1 on staggered Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. I've not replaced/upgraded any suspension parts just yet, so this is an interesting thing to have seen. It's on both front tires, inner corner/walls. She's 17,513 miles into her life (bout with 0 miles on odometer) and she's a "daily" driver (read: driven maybe once a week regularly.)

NavsENG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT , 66 Track coupe, 66 street car
This is an amazing thread, and there's a lot of great information here! I found this because, after my oil change yesterday (with tire rotation), the shop noticed inner tire wear in the front tires. (See picture.)

Not what I'd consider normal! She's a 2019 GT Premium PP1 on staggered Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. I've not replaced/upgraded any suspension parts just yet, so this is an interesting thing to have seen. It's on both front tires, inner corner/walls. She's 17,513 miles into her life (bout with 0 miles on odometer) and she's a "daily" driver (read: driven maybe once a week regularly.)
Are they both doing that? Check camber/toe.. you either have one side with too much negative camber or you have too much toe out, that would wear both tires though.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M

100% this is an issue of toe, not camber.
Sponsored