Sponsored

Who Makes The BEST Hood Struts on the Market ? ? ? ?

Kungfukendrixx

18Shadowblk_5_0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
+1 for Ford Performance. I have had them for about a year. No issues, or movement.
Sponsored

808muscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Whipple, 2006 GT Blown and cammed
Redline for me. They hold up the hood with the heavy MMD scoop I have. In high winds, it will blow it down. I had Roush on my s197, any slight wind would blow it down. I replaced with redline.

Ben James

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2018 S550 Mustang GT
Just check clearance with the struts. After some harsh driving I noticed light contact on the left ‘Ford Performance’ strut to the hood.

I put in a piece of 1/32” adhesive padded tape and it worked to stop contacting and causing further damage (see circled section)
D7314F34-1ED3-431C-89F3-978DC4CA2C71.jpeg

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Just an FYI, there were early reports of the RedLine crimping the washer fluid line on 18+. Not sure if that's been resolved or not.

1crazymach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red GT 500
I've had both the Ford Performance on my 2016 and the Redlines currently on my 2018. The Ford Performance in my option looks better but hood would shake a lot in light wind. Redline so far they are great but lack the good looks. I wouldn't buy the Ford ones again unless they redesign them and make them stronger.

Sponsored

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Just an FYI, there were early reports of the RedLine crimping the washer fluid line on 18+. Not sure if that's been resolved or not.
They've updated the instructions and tell you how to move the line over to avoid contact.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
I have the ford performance struts now. Love the way the look. But they are Crap the way the mount and the mount at the engine bay is not strong and moves around all the time.

Is there any out there that are Strong/Well Made and Look Great ? ? ? ?

Thanks
I have had REDLINE hood struts for going on 4 years. I bought them for my 2015 GT when new and transferred them over to my 2018 GT this past January so as far as reliability you can't get much better. They work well and are holding up as far as the gas charge goes. They also seem to be the best looking with bulletproof hardware.

Last edited:

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Redlines here. my first mod/install after the car purchase in May 2018...

no issues what-so-ever...:rockon:

upload_2018-12-11_20-30-55.png

Boone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A Premium Performance Package
Anyone use or have these these? I like the mounts look very heavy duty and I like how the ball is built onto the Strut.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/drake-m...-alumalift-v6-ecoboost-gt-2015-2017/p/HDGL32/

hdgl32_1.2281.jpg
I watched the video and have two comments one positive and one negative. On the positive side they are defiantly the longest brackets that I've seen out there. I have Steeda on my '16 and like them, but these are better because of the length of the hood bracket. I also like that they are aluminum and probably lighter than my steel ones. However I have a negative point to make, the hood brackets could be a little wider at the point of contact to the hood. Its easy to see why I say this in the video and its about a clean install. I don't like that after the installation you can clearly see the missing paint left by the hood bolt and the hood bolts hanging off the side of the bracket. Many people wouldn't even notice something like this but for me its an issue. I guess with a little touch up paint and some finesse this could be minimized but not eliminated.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Going to buy a set.
Redline, Ford or Steeda. Looking for low key black and not advertising any brand. Are the brand labels on there stickers that can be removed?
I also want to just lift the hood a bit and the struts do the rest of the lifting. Any brands not do that like my ford trunk doesn't?
Do the Ford performance ones really distort the hood like some have posted here? Any other brands do that?
Any response appreciated

Sponsored

NastyPumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Boosted Mustang GT
Going to buy a set.
Redline, Ford or Steeda. Looking for low key black and not advertising any brand. Are the brand labels on there stickers that can be removed?
I also want to just lift the hood a bit and the struts do the rest of the lifting. Any brands not do that like my ford trunk doesn't?
Do the Ford performance ones really distort the hood like some have posted here? Any other brands do that?
Any response appreciated

I have the Ford Performance ones, no issues but I did make beefy custom nuts for them. The Ford Performance hood struts look the best to me. Probably the Redline or Steeda ones are better because they have the better nuts and won’t move around because of that.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I have the Ford Performance ones, no issues but I did make beefy custom nuts for them. The Ford Performance hood struts look the best to me. Probably the Redline or Steeda ones are better because they have the better nuts and won’t move around because of that.
Which nuts are you referring to? Fender apron attachment point or the ball studs?

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
Going to buy a set.
Any response appreciated
For me Redlines are a smart choice. MY set have been on three cars 2011 GT , 2015 GT , and my 2018GT. I purchased them new in 2011 and switched them over with each new car purchase. The decals also peel right off giving a nice stock, clean, look. Though I am going to buy a new set for my 2020, I don't want to push my luck.

NastyPumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Boosted Mustang GT