Sponsored

Seriously, How many tick/rattle engines in the last 2 months?

car

Car
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT550 2018
Well I'm another casualty of the 2018 engine. 15000kms (10K miles) had a service. Left and later the next day a horrible klonk grind noise (low volume) at idle and slight vibration in neutral. Ford say a black mark (from endoscope) on no1 cylinder. They need to send results to the engineers for ruling so I just hope they dont come back and say its normal.
Sponsored

Stonehenge360

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I had the typewriter tick show up in my ‘18 after it’s first oil change. Threw two bottles of ceratec and the noise went away immediately. Best $25 I ever spent. I still have 65% left on my oil life, but it will be interesting to see if it comes back with oil change #2

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I had the typewriter tick show up in my ‘18 after it’s first oil change. Threw two bottles of ceratec and the noise went away immediately. Best $25 I ever spent. I still have 65% left on my oil life, but it will be interesting to see if it comes back with oil change #2
I ran Ceratec as well. The tick came back immediately, as soon as I started the engine after the oil change. So, I added about 1/2 bottle to the fresh oil (QSUD 5w30). Just enough to subdue the tick, because I don't want to run that much Ceratec every oil change. Just seems a bit over kill, and quite pricey if that much isn't really needed.

Stonehenge360

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I ran Ceratec as well. The tick came back immediately, as soon as I started the engine after the oil change. So, I added about 1/2 bottle to the fresh oil (QSUD 5w30). Just enough to subdue the tick, because I don't want to run that much Ceratec every oil change. Just seems a bit over kill, and quite pricey if that much isn't really needed.
I am guessing the tick is piston slap or movement in the connecting rod bearings. Been over and over it in my head and that is the only thing that makes sense. In my mind, if I can get the noise to go away with the ceratec, that means that it is not causing any damage while the noise is gone. That may not be the case but I have had no issues so far. It is worth $25 every 6-9 months to keep it quiet. I never bothered bringing it in after I saw the PSA from Ford instructing dealerships to say that “it is a normal sound”. Figured it would be a wasted afternoon at the service center.

stanglitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Skoda Superb TSI 280, 2010 Ford Focus RS mkII (recently sold)
Well I'm another casualty of the 2018 engine. 15000kms (10K miles) had a service. Left and later the next day a horrible klonk grind noise (low volume) at idle and slight vibration in neutral. Ford say a black mark (from endoscope) on no1 cylinder. They need to send results to the engineers for ruling so I just hope they dont come back and say its normal.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was caused by the dealership taking it for a serious joyride and going full throttle on a cold engine right after they had changed the oil.