OP

GoranRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Goran
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Race Red EcoBoost Premium
It's OK. He's 17. I know my perspective was a lot different at that age.
I meant that, I’ll have money piling up.... not to be spent, but rather saved for “later in life”? Save up for a house downpayment at age 17..? Save up for retirement at age 17...?

I find those unreasonable at this age. Yes, i’m be making more then my peers at this age, (which I work hard for), so i’m going to spend it on something I truly want. - The Car :)

Other then that, you guys are giving me some good ass advice, thank for that! - Keep them coming if anyone has something else to say!
Sponsored

OP
OP

GoranRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Goran
Vehicle(s)
Just hoping in to help out. I bought a 2018 Mustang about a year ago. Granted I am in my 30's but that being said I bought it because I wanted a car that I could daily drive. I think hardly a week went by before I started modifying it. Aesthetics, paint protective film, ceramic coating, the works. Under hood mods etc. I recently traded it in for a 2019 GT because I really wanted a V8 for the sound and the engine. It is my daily driver. The Eco is a great car and I loved it but you should know that a lot of people don't give it the respect it deserves. Even happens in these forums. If you go to shows be prepared for some people to appreciate it and others not to. Hope it doesn't get to you.

My advice is a few things.

1) The insurance in my area between a GT and an ECO were the same.
2) Depending on the type of sound you like you may never be able to achieve it on an Eco
3) The car is fast and a lot of fun but it won't feel the same as a naturally aspirated V8. The easiest way for me to describe it is the V8 is more linear and the Eco starts very hard and will drop off in higher RPM's.
4) The ECO feels a bit more fun to throw into corners due to the lower weight in the front end. (200 LBS approx)
5) Know that any money you put into the car you likely will never get back when you sell it (These should be for your enjoyment)
6) Find a reputable installer for Paint Protective Film and Ceramic. Do lots of research and go see the shop in person. I have pretty severe OCD and lots of shops do a poor job on edges with film that is noticeable. A lot of it depends on the color of the car. Whatever you do, don't fall for the Ceramic Pro marketing blitz. People will tell you ceramic coatings prevent scratching etc and that is not the case. Having a ceramic coating is awesome but it will stop you from being able to use automatic car washes and waxes etc... It can also still swirl and scratch. (I went with Xpel PPF and Xpel Ceramic and I loved both)
7) I had the Ford Performance Tune and it was really great. Did change how the car drove and was worth it IMO.
8) Putting in 87 vs 93 will make a very noticeable difference in how the car drives.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions because I owned both cars and like you I did a lot of mostly aesthetic work to the ECO.
Seems like yet-another attempt at convincing me to get a GT.

Even if the Insurance is the same, the sound won’t be the same, and the mustang fans not liking I4’s, I still am going to get it as a daily driver. - I drive daily for my jobs a lot, so gas milage on a V8 would kill.

A “fun punch” when it accelerates is enough for me. The car as you and lots said is very fun to drive, though at your income at the time, i’m sure you were able to afford the gas.

As far as everything else with the paint and everything, I will for sure look into it!! Thank you.

I will also make sure to put in an investment and only put in good gas, to savour the engine and the turbo might like it more, haha. I’ve heard they’re touchy.

Can I get some advice on the Turbo? How should I treat it, how can I maximise it’s performance/lenghten it’s lifespan?

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)

Even if the Insurance is the same, the sound won’t be the same, and the mustang fans not liking I4’s, I still am going to get it as a daily driver. - I drive daily for my jobs a lot, so gas milage on a V8 would kill.

A “fun punch” when it accelerates is enough for me. The car as you and lots said is very fun to drive, though at your income at the time, i’m sure you were able to afford the gas.

As far as everything else with the paint and everything, I will for sure look into it!! Thank you.

I will also make sure to put in an investment and only put in good gas, to savour the engine and the turbo might like it more, haha. I’ve heard they’re touchy.

Can I get some advice on the Turbo? How should I treat it, how can I maximise it’s performance/lenghten it’s lifespan?
I think you misunderstood my message. What I was trying to say to you is I made a mistake and here is what I learned from it. There are limitations to the ECO and if your heart is set on the advantages of the GT then don't lose money like I did. Save more money and then get the GT.

Personally I have nothing but respect for the ECO. I really enjoyed the car and I still miss it. Many Mustang enthusiasts myself included enjoy both the ECO and the GT. There are great Ecoboost Mustang forums that you can join with an amazing community. I see more ECO's in my area than GT's.

Regarding the Turbo, you just have to know that it is forced induction and it will cause wear and stress on an engine. Doing regular oil changes and maintenance should keep things in good shape. It all depends how hard you are on the car. Based on what you are saying it sounds like you are going to take good care of it. I would recommend watching some YouTube channels about car repair/maintenance specific to Eco or in general. The same rules should apply.

I am only here to tell you what to expect because nobody gave me a heads up on it. It's not trying to get you to buy a GT, it is simply a different perspective that may or may not aid in your decision.

Deleted member 35644

Conventional oils today are very good, but for maximum protection against coking, shearing and deposits, use a synthetic such as Mobil1, Pennzoil Platinum, etc. I don't wait for the maintenance minder to tell me when...I change the oil and filter at 5,000 miles and reset it.

Good gas is also important. Higher octane will prevent pre-ignition (ping or knock) before the knock sensor has to intervene. I run 93 octane exclusively (Chevron, Exxon, Shell).

Don't "get on it" until your engine oil temp reaches the green area on your gauge.

A lot of owners swear by the necessity of a catch can to keep oil mist from entering the intake through the PCV system. I installed one (Ford Performance driver's side) for peace of mind. I haven't driven it enough since then to even bother checking it, but if this is your daily driver, dump out the crud every few thousand miles. This will help stave off carbon build-up on the back sides of your intake valves. When this stuff gets thick enough, it can break off, enter the combustion chamber, exit through the exhaust valve and strike the fins in the turbo, damaging it.

I've never been one to baby my vehicles. I demand that they perform, but I also maintain them very well. If you resist the urge to modify it (tune, etc.), keep the fluids maintained and don't abuse it, I think you'll enjoy it for a long time.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro

Have the car serviced regularly and you will be fine. Our EB is serviced at the dealership and we have had no issues in 4 years. Also use top tier gas only as others have stated. 93 octane gets you full power, 87 can be used but power will be down 10-15%. My wife uses 87 for her commute to work.

I have received nothing but compliments on our Ecoboost from other car enthusiasts including GT350, Cobra, Porsche, and Hemi owners. Everyone who drives our EB absolutely loves it.

Anyone who talks down about the Ecoboost is a poser, not an enthusiast.

The EB is the most balanced Mustang to date,.and 5 second 0-60 sports car. This is more than enough car for those of us that live in the world and not in a Steve McQueen movie.

Last edited:

Sponsored

torqued

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I meant that, I’ll have money piling up.... not to be spent, but rather saved for “later in life”? Save up for a house downpayment at age 17..? Save up for retirement at age 17...?

I find those unreasonable at this age.
Me too. Save for the house once you've figured out what you're going to do for a living as an adult. Cuz you may move for it. Save for retirement once the house is initially purchased. The house will be part of your retirement nest egg anyways.

You sound like you have two things going for you, a good head on your shoulders as far as taking things in moderation in your purchase and what you'll do with it, and an amazing amount of drive to work three jobs to achieve what you want. With that kind of ambition and energy you'll probably end up owning your own business of some sort, and it's those kind of people who do very well for themselves and their family.

OP
OP

GoranRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Goran
Vehicle(s)
I think you misunderstood my message. What I was trying to say to you is I made a mistake and here is what I learned from it. There are limitations to the ECO and if your heart is set on the advantages of the GT then don't lose money like I did. Save more money and then get the GT.

Personally I have nothing but respect for the ECO. I really enjoyed the car and I still miss it. Many Mustang enthusiasts myself included enjoy both the ECO and the GT. There are great Ecoboost Mustang forums that you can join with an amazing community. I see more ECO's in my area than GT's.

Regarding the Turbo, you just have to know that it is forced induction and it will cause wear and stress on an engine. Doing regular oil changes and maintenance should keep things in good shape. It all depends how hard you are on the car. Based on what you are saying it sounds like you are going to take good care of it. I would recommend watching some YouTube channels about car repair/maintenance specific to Eco or in general. The same rules should apply.

I am only here to tell you what to expect because nobody gave me a heads up on it. It's not trying to get you to buy a GT, it is simply a different perspective that may or may not aid in your decision.
Yeah, my heart was never even looking the direction of the GT ;) I’m stuck and inlove with the Eco, haha!

And as far as everything else, I’ll follow!

Have the car serviced regularly and you will be fine. Our EB is serviced at the dealership and we have had no issues in 4 years. Also use top tier gas only as others have stated. 93 octane gets you full power, 87 can be used but power will be down 10-15%. My wife uses 87 for her commute to work.

I have received nothing but compliments on our Ecoboost from other car enthusiasts including GT350, Cobra, Porsche, and Hemi owners. Everyone who drives our EB absolutely loves it.

Anyone who talks down about the Ecoboost is a poser, not an enthusiast.

The EB is the most balanced Mustang to date,.and 5 second 0-60 sports car. This is more than enough car for those of us that live in the world and not in a Steve McQueen movie.
I agree. An enthusiast of a Mustang per-say are here for what the car is. What the car becomes, and it’s advancements. Not stuck on the stereotypical V8-only “real” mustang poser attitude

Me too. Save for the house once you've figured out what you're going to do for a living as an adult. Cuz you may move for it. Save for retirement once the house is initially purchased. The house will be part of your retirement nest egg anyways.

You sound like you have two things going for you, a good head on your shoulders as far as taking things in moderation in your purchase and what you'll do with it, and an amazing amount of drive to work three jobs to achieve what you want. With that kind of ambition and energy you'll probably end up owning your own business of some sort, and it's those kind of people who do very well for themselves and their family.
Thank you kind sir, I love what I do!

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
Yeah, my heart was never even looking the direction of the GT ;) I’m stuck and inlove with the Eco, haha!

And as far as everything else, I’ll follow!

I agree. An enthusiast of a Mustang per-say are here for what the car is. What the car becomes, and it’s advancements. Not stuck on the stereotypical V8-only “real” mustang poser attitude

Thank you kind sir, I love what I do!
That’s great news. It was never my intent either but the more involved I got in the community and the more shows I got into the more it changed. Just giving you a heads up.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Reminds me of when I was in my early 20s. I found a 3 year old Firebird Formula. I had saved money over a few years and was ready to buy. I paid cash for the car because I didn't want to have to worry about a car payment while going to college. The owner asked if I would need to get a loan, and I mentioned I'd just write him a check. I could see his eyes bulge a little bit, being a 21 year old and paying for a car outright.

Enjoy your car, whatever you choose. You're going to find the mod bug is going to be a black hole from which you can never escape. It would be cheaper to have a drug habit.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase

I find those unreasonable at this age. Yes, i’m be making more then my peers at this age, (which I work hard for), so i’m going to spend it on something I truly want. - The Car :)

Other then that, you guys are giving me some good ass advice, thank for that! - Keep them coming if anyone has something else to say!
I understand things like home down payment and retirement aren't on your mind at this point in your life, but chances are there are other things besides the car you will need/want to have money for on a shorter time horizon. The general idea of accumulating savings is never a bad thing, and the earlier you start (even just a little bit at a time for longer term things like a house) the better off you will be.

Sponsored

Coloradoeco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 eco pp
Ive had my EB almost 4 years now, the only issue so far has been a lower control arm being replaced. It’s a hell of a car for the money and the torque is a blast in the city and love taking it up the mountain.

The only time you'll get hate for it is on the internet. People hating on others possessions are just showing their insecurity.

Just dont street race, never worth it.

Good luck with the purchase!

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
I dont have any tips in regards to ownership, but I can tell you this from my GT ownership as well as a fellow young driver. It's not too much power, you wont lose control, you'll be fine. Just dont turn off traction control and try to do wild shit. Watch how you park since the hoods pretty big. Cost of maintenance is comparable to other cars if not less if you're going through Ford dealers vs VW dealers.

What you may consider doing is looking for dealers out of state, they tend to knock the price down lower than whats available here in California. If you are buying in California, compare pricing to the Ford X Plan or Costco car plan.

Oh another typical thing to keep in mind, check the body panel gaps, might drive you nuts if you get a bad draw.

OP
OP

GoranRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Goran
Vehicle(s)
Ive had my EB almost 4 years now, the only issue so far has been a lower control arm being replaced. It’s a hell of a car for the money and the torque is a blast in the city and love taking it up the mountain.

The only time you'll get hate for it is on the internet. People hating on others possessions are just showing their insecurity.

Just dont street race, never worth it.

Good luck with the purchase!
Hmm... Why not street race? Curious... say a 350z pulls up next to me, tries to honk three times... I feel like I won't resist the quick change to Sport+/Track mode, and gap him real quick!
Or an older GT doin' the same thing.... or some Civic Si (If it ain't a sleeper..holy shit), haha..

I dont have any tips in regards to ownership, but I can tell you this from my GT ownership as well as a fellow young driver. It's not too much power, you wont lose control, you'll be fine. Just dont turn off traction control and try to do wild shit. Watch how you park since the hoods pretty big. Cost of maintenance is comparable to other cars if not less if you're going through Ford dealers vs VW dealers.

What you may consider doing is looking for dealers out of state, they tend to knock the price down lower than whats available here in California. If you are buying in California, compare pricing to the Ford X Plan or Costco car plan.

Oh another typical thing to keep in mind, check the body panel gaps, might drive you nuts if you get a bad draw.
Will do! Definitely worth learning about! - Yeah.. my brother's V6 has a weird gap on the side, above the right tire.. so weird. (That's just how the car is) he says.. I'm like "whaaat!"

OP
OP

GoranRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Goran
Vehicle(s)
Speaking of V6's... - Thoughts on those?

Just curious, still getting an I4 Turbo forsure!

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm... Why not street race? Curious... say a 350z pulls up next to me, tries to honk three times... I feel like I won't resist the quick change to Sport+/Track mode, and gap him real quick!
Or an older GT doin' the same thing.... or some Civic Si (If it ain't a sleeper..holy shit), haha..
Because it's dangerous you are young driver with no experience and this cars are 300/400 hp. Not to mention it could be embarrassing like in you just got into youtube mustang crash compilation embarrassing. When I first got my GT in the first week I was riding with a girlfriend when on the stop light next to me was a 20 years E36 my car was not braked in so I have to keep it under 4000 RPM. When the stop light turned green obviously I smashed the gas pedal and we started chasing on one of the big boulevards with 3 lanes however I was leading in 5th on 4000 RPM that's 180 km/h where the speed limit was 80 km/h and this is give your driving license back offence at that point the E36 was next on my stop light so I just let him pass me. I get behind him and in a few seconds he give me a turn signal and jumped on the breaks as a car in front of him was without any lights and it was dark luckily he saw it and we both get down to reasonable speed however this could have been me crashing my new Mustang in a car that had no lights turned on and still end up as my fault so not only I was going to lose my driving license I was going to lose my Mustang as well and at 180 km/h I could have easy lost my life in that crash. Worst is I wasn't alone in the car so the girl just made fun of me getting passed by an almost 30 yo BMW adding embarrassment to the injury.
Sponsored