Sponsored

Why are the dash/instrument cluster lights so dim, even at full brightness?

MHdude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, Kona Blue w/ White Stripes
So even at full brightness, the lights on the dash/instrument cluster are extremely dim. I have the setting at full brightness, so not sure what the issue is. The only time it is bright, is when I turn the light switch completely off. Is there a solution for this?
Sponsored

Bird of prey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Gold wing 2020 f-150 pro stock mustang. 2019 Shelby gt 350
I’ve only been in the car once when it was starting to get dark, but it did seem the dash lights were rather dim. And yes I turned them all the way up.

Last edited:

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I have always wondered the same thing. Drives me crazy. I know it’s for safety but if I want to fry my retinas, I should be able to.

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
So even at full brightness, the lights on the dash/instrument cluster are extremely dim.... The only time it is bright, is when I turn the light switch completely off. Is there a solution for this?
That’s the way they work. If you have your lights on the system assumes it’s darker out and/or nighttime and keeps the lighting dimmer. But it would be nice to be able to override it.

Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
i think you can turn the auto dim function off.

Bird of prey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Gold wing 2020 f-150 pro stock mustang. 2019 Shelby gt 350
Well the mustang is not the first or only vehicle I own that has the auto dimming, of the dash lights. They just seem dim compared to my other Ford/Lincoln’s not considering it a problem with the car just an observation. Doubt I’ll drive it that much at night anyways.

OP
OP
MHdude

MHdude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
That’s the way they work. If you have your lights on the system assumes it’s darker out and/or nighttime and keeps the lighting dimmer. But it would be nice to be able to override it.
Well, my issue is... if I have the headlights set to auto, regardless if it's sunny outside or dark, it's always dim. It only gets bright if I completely turn off the headlights. Hopefully that makes more sense.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Well, my issue is... if I have the headlights set to auto, regardless if it's sunny outside or dark, it's always dim. It only gets bright if I completely turn off the headlights. Hopefully that makes more sense.
Are your headlights coming on (auto) when it's light out? Maybe it's the light sensor thinking it's dark.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
A friend of mine asked me this very question. I reached up between the windshield and the dash shelf and retrieved their hat from where they'd tossed it about a week before. That uncovered the sun sensor and the lights went back to normal.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My dash lights generally were brighter than I needed or wanted them to be. When it's dark outside I like the dash lights dim so I don't ruin my night vision. Makes it a lot easier to see things in the road.

I wish I could adjust the dimming on the rear view mirror. In my opinion it doesn't get dim enough.

OP
OP
MHdude

MHdude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
A friend of mine asked me this very question. I reached up between the windshield and the dash shelf and retrieved their hat from where they'd tossed it about a week before. That uncovered the sun sensor and the lights went back to normal.
I'm assuming my light sensor is either broken or I have something covering it (which I doubt), I'll check when I get home from work. Thanks!

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
I wish they had done something to improve visibility of the gages in broad daylight. Mine are washed out in glare and hard to read in daylight. Quite a bit of glare-like reflection off of the lenses too.

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
I wish they had done something to improve visibility of the gages in broad daylight. Mine are washed out in glare and hard to read in daylight. Quite a bit of glare-like reflection off of the lenses too.
Yes, it is my one real negative on my vert. At times, my speedometer is totally unreadable. It’s even worse with the top down and sun behind you.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Red Mustang Vert w/pony package w/CAI,
Yes, it is my one real negative on my vert. At times, my speedometer is totally unreadable. It’s even worse with the top down and sun behind you.
My dash lights are very washed out when I wear sunglasses even with my top up.
Sponsored