Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Hi all -

Back from the trip to VIR and Road Atlanta where I was on track with mostly purpose built race cars and one thing became evident - I need more slippery aero and serious weight loss.

Looking at the rear end, I'd really like to put an aggressive diffuser on. This also opens up the opportunity to reduce the weight of the mufflers.

Couple of questions:
  1. The "loud" pipe is essentially a straight pipe through the muffler, correct? In other words, when in sport mode the mufflers aren't really muffling, are they?
  2. Thoughts on coming out of my resonators and just shooting the exhaust down towards the ground?(completely removing the mufflers)
  3. Will this cause unacceptable heat under the car?
The ultimate plan is to side exit exhaust, but I want to wait until I can route it where the fuel tank is, which will require a fuel cell. Not ready for that yet.

Pic for reference (ignore the messed up wrap, made contact with kerb when I went off track).
Screenshot_20190626-212036_Photos.jpg
Sponsored

Tractor Junk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 16 GT350 FPRS #3, 2014 Boss 302S
All of the above. It will be louder, hotter and smellier. There might be some unforeseen aero effects. I noticed that Fathouse Fab does custom titanium work... I’ve been seriously considering going that direction in the off-season. Titanium from the exhaust manifold back and ditching the active mufflers.

On another note, I did my first event over the weekend with the AP endurance brake kit. It’s the best change I’ve made to the car. Zero fade with over 7 hours of track time in two days, 100 degree heat. Very firm pedal, and lots of precision when trail braking. It’s a different car than with the Brembo’s. Hint: you should go there next for dropping weight! The standard kit drops 29lbs and the endurance kit drops 26lbs.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I don't mind smellier if it's not dangerous. And hotter is okay if it's not unacceptable. Louder? well I think we're well-past that. Hehe Hmmm..

And brakes are definitely on the list. Looking for more cost-effective methods for this summer. Still re-building the piggy bank after the motor work. I'm actually looking into the RB CCB kit for F + R. Will drop 100 lbs.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
I run a Kooks setup, with their O/R Xpipe and through the OEM mufflers. I have no resonators.

I guess your trying to lose weight out back, perhaps you can go with the one company that makes the cats delete pipe from the OEM headers back to the X, cut the resonators, and pick up a flow through pipe out back. A little more than doing a dump as you suggested, but should keep the heat in check. It would be loud though.

Sponsored

Mach4.6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R, 11' GT500, 07' GT500, 04' Mach 1
[QUOTE="honeybadger, post: 2587731, member: 23430"
And brakes are definitely on the list. Looking for more cost-effective methods for this summer. Still re-building the piggy bank after the motor work. I'm actually looking into the RB CCB kit for F + R. Will drop 100 lbs.[/QUOTE]

Racing Brake is made in China
Just saying

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If you do dumps right before the axle I doubt there will be heat issues as it sits there because the exhaust is dissipating and the thermal energy is getting distributed into the atmosphere with the exhaust gases unlike pipes that are just cooking shit underneath the car like a space heater. Then one thing I'd wonder about though is if you dump in front of the axle, is the exiting hot exhaust going to shoot up into your diff cooler...

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Look at Titanium Dynamics, they have Ti mufflers and just came out with Ti oval tubing and pie cuts
This is in my future once I get a fuel cell. Voodoo side exit exhaust? Dear jesus!

If you do dumps right before the axle I doubt there will be heat issues as it sits there because the exhaust is dissipating and the thermal energy is getting distributed into the atmosphere with the exhaust gases unlike pipes that are just cooking shit underneath the car like a space heater. Then one thing I'd wonder about though is if you dump in front of the axle, is the exiting hot exhaust going to shoot up into your diff cooler...
Planning on running the FP350S diff cooing setup, so I don't *think* i'd have a problem. But don't for sure.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
This is in my future once I get a fuel cell. Voodoo side exit exhaust? Dear jesus!

Planning on running the FP350S diff cooing setup, so I don't *think* i'd have a problem. But don't for sure.
Yeah man I don't know.......

Sponsored

Zeromaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R

Better get an amazon subscription for hearing protection foamies

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Better get an amazon subscription for hearing protection foamies
Already got the earplugs with my racing comms. Hehe.

But it'd still have the resonators, so it would cut down on noise a wee bit.
Sponsored