FORD Authority on the rotary shifter

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
DBK wasnt kidding when he said we would be taking it in the shorts. minimum base will be in the mid 70s and all out will be in the high 80s.
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
That's the plan...

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
I say go all in, if your using a knob, make it smaller and put it on the dash and free up the console for another cupholder or phone cubby..... But if your still using that real estate for a rotary dial then they should have just put a shifter, even though they do the same things, it would make the 'shifter' people happy. My guess is they didn't put a normal auto shifter because then they would have to replicate the paddle functions on the shifter. Because there is no banging gears with a rotary dial. I personally prefer tapping the shifter vs using the paddles on my current car, but also never have tracked anything i own.

Sponsored

2020 C8

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Same here. I don’t care how the selector works, the DCT is going to be a game changer.
That DCT is the only reason I would buy a Mustang.
But, I want to see it offered on the base V8 GT. I can always add a TVS2650 amd long tubes myself.

I'm not paying ADM, and I'm not even sure I'm willing to pay invoice on a GT500.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
That DCT is the only reason I would buy a Mustang.
Mighty brave of you considering Ford has no history. I don't get why Ford didn't elect to use a sequential trans. They are incredibly strong and simple. A DCT is effectively sequential anyway but comes with a ridiculous amount of complexity.

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150
Mighty brave of you considering Ford has no history. I don't get why Ford didn't elect to use a sequential trans. They are incredibly strong and simple. A DCT is effectively sequential anyway but comes with a ridiculous amount of complexity.
Because a sequential trans would not have good driveability...Think if you are cruising on the highway at 2k RPM's in 6th gear and you want to pass someone in 3rd. With a sequential you would have to wait for 3 shifts to happen vs a DCT which can skip from 6th to 3rd in one shift. DCT's have been around for many years so there isn't a huge cause for concern IMO

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
While I'm sure the DCT will stay unique to the GT500, I'd like to see the rotary shifter in use on the A10 in the GT. The existing automatic shifter is just ridiculously tall and unnecessary, and the surround/cutout is such a clunky design. I get that Ford was using the same center console piece for manuals and autos, but now they've got a component being built for the dial, I say use it throughout the model line (assuming there's not some significant engineering requirement to implement it with a traditional auto).

Sponsored

2020 C8

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
I have to admit, I am scared to own a new DCT, especially from a domestic brand. But once you drive Porsche pdk. It's addictive.
This is coming from a guy who's been driving manual transmissions daily since the 1980s.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't get it...
Is it like a motorcycle sequential transmission?
Where is the clutch?
Are you asking WRT sequential or DCT? If former, it's where it always was. With a sequential you don't need to use the clutch at all once you're rolling - just like a motorcycle. Just unload the transmission for a split second and bang into the next gear. Not sure it's a great idea to do that with 600lb/ft on tap but make the cogs strong enough, sure. Hmm, the World Rally cars put out some prodigious power and torque and everyone uses a sequential, so this is not new territory.

The DCT engagement is under computer control so it'll slip the plates at rest or when the computer decides.to (chassis stability control, etc).

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
Loved the comments in the article...hahaha.

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
oh ya?
What exactly are you basing your completely wild ass guess upon?
It is the future...or it wouldn't be where it is. No way in hell this will stay with the Shelby.
Sponsored