Sponsored

Basic mods (if any) for a gen 2 coyote motor for better lower rpm torque.

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
If you want torque, the cheapest mod would be to trade it for an Ecoboost. There are Ecoboosts running 450+ torque, on the stock longblock and turbo. All you need is a few easy boltons and an E30 tune.
Peak torque happens at about 3,000
rpm.
You're supposed to add the /S to flag your post as sarcastic. Sarcasm doesn't read very well
Sponsored

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT - 10spd Auto, Performance Pack Lvl 1
E85 Lund nGauge and cat deletes. Hello torque.

OP
OP
onlyturbo

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
Thanks fellows!

We do have plenty if E85 stations around where I live, so this could be an option, but I just don't like to go this route.

I think I am going to go with some rear suspension mods first to see how the car responses to this, and go from there. Probably the BMR cradle kit, and Steeda bushings.

The car is a lot of fun, it has plenty power once revved to 4500 rpm. I was just expecting to be able to leave two black stripes in second gear when gunning it, but it seems to hook well. This is funny as many people I read have the opposite problem...but not sure if in stock form or not.

jdsfly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost, A10
Vehicle Showcase
You're supposed to add the /S to flag your post as sarcastic. Sarcasm doesn't read very well
It's not sarcasm. It's the truth. The Ecoboost engine is great at making low rpm torgue, typically peaking at 2800 - 3,000 rpm. The Coyote engines torque peak doesn't come until around 4500 rpm, and it's torque numbers aren't that high for a V-8, but of course it makes great horsepower at 7,000 rpm.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
E85 tune will give you the low end grunt regardless. The 2018 manifold lets you rev it out to 7500-7600 rpm and build power all the way through. Best of both worlds.
Doesn't Gen 2 need injectors for E85 to work ?

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was just expecting to be able to leave two black stripes in second gear when gunning it, but it seems to hook well. This is funny as many people I read have the opposite problem...but not sure if in stock form or not.
My car leave black stripes even on 1st out of the garage. I have this lovely black marks in my garage that I try to park on very easy to park this way :D

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Doesn't Gen 2 need injectors for E85 to work ?
It doesn't need them per say, but a tuner will recommend them so the duty cycle is not maxed out in the upper rpms. Grab a set of the Ford Performance LU-47's and you'll be good.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
If you want torque, the cheapest mod would be to trade it for an Ecoboost. There are Ecoboosts running 450+ torque, on the stock longblock and turbo. All you need is a few easy boltons and an E30 tune.
Peak torque happens at about 3,000
rpm.
Citation needed.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It doesn't need them per say, but a tuner will recommend them so the duty cycle is not maxed out in the upper rpms. Grab a set of the Ford Performance LU-47's and you'll be good.
Don't have E85 available just asked as this is not exactly cheap mod. Probably cheaper than a PP2 for example but still not exactly free :)

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
It's not sarcasm. It's the truth. The Ecoboost engine is great at making low rpm torgue, typically peaking at 2800 - 3,000 rpm. The Coyote engines torque peak doesn't come until around 4500 rpm, and it's torque numbers aren't that high for a V-8, but of course it makes great horsepower at 7,000 rpm.
I don't think anyone is arguing that it doesn't make good power at the low end, but the Ecoboost falls flat on its face at 5k rpm. Unless you're stop sign racing or in traffic, that's about all the thrill you'll get aside from taking it on some back road twisties.

Sponsored
OP
OP
onlyturbo

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
I am sticking with the cats, I don't like
Don't have E85 available just asked as this is not exactly cheap mod. Probably cheaper than a PP2 for example but still not exactly free :)
I'll rather do the Ford Performance Package two than E85 in general.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I am sticking with the cats, I don't like

I'll rather do the Ford Performance Package two than E85 in general.
Once you drive on an E85 tune, you'll change that statement. That is if you have it nearby and available.

OP
OP
onlyturbo

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
Once you drive on an E85 tune, you'll change that statement. That is if you have it nearby and available.
I am sure it would be a good bump in power, no argument here...it just that I have personal feelings about ethanol in general...I was considering the performance power 2, but then another member here opened my eyes in regards to the rear suspension components. Heck, 400 pft is no joke!!

My last 3 cars were tuned, a 2000 SAAB Aero stage 3, a 2009 WRX STI Stage 2, and the latest a 2016 Audi S4 Stage 2 (supercharger). The Audi does 0 to 60 in under 3.5 secs. There is no end to chasing numbers I realize, and there is something special about keeping a very strong factory engine stock, so we will see over time how it goes. I specifically bought a Gen2 Coyote for it's durability to be able to handle boost reliability, but so far I find the car to be a blast. I love the way it sounds with the cat back Gibson exhaust, very few cars sound so good!

If after the rear suspension mods car would behave the same, I may add engine mods.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions, this is a great forum.

BTW this is not my first Mustang GT, my first new car was a 1993 white GT with LSD, manual of course...

Reactions: A7X

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I am sure it would be a good bump in power, no argument here...it just that I have personal feelings about ethanol in general...I was considering the performance power 2, but then another member here opened my eyes in regards to the rear suspension components. Heck, 400 pft is no joke!!

My last 3 cars were tuned, a 2000 SAAB Aero stage 3, a 2009 WRX STI Stage 2, and the latest a 2016 Audi S4 Stage 2 (supercharger). The Audi does 0 to 60 in under 3.5 secs. There is no end to chasing numbers I realize, and there is something special about keeping a very strong factory engine stock, so we will see over time how it goes. I specifically bought a Gen2 Coyote for it's durability to be able to handle boost reliability, but so far I find the car to be a blast. I love the way it sounds with the cat back Gibson exhaust, very few cars sound so good!

If after the rear suspension mods car would behave the same, I may add engine mods.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions, this is a great forum.

BTW this is not my first Mustang GT, my first new car was a 1993 white GT with LSD, manual of course...
The Coyote's big strength is to be able to rev like a small displacement, or short stroke engine, without being small, thus still having good mid-range torque. The 5000-7500 range is where it's oh so sweet.

jdsfly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost, A10
Vehicle Showcase