OP

GoranRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Goran
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Race Red EcoBoost Premium
If you get the ecoboost and its not a PP1 you need to upgrade your brake fluid to Motul RBF 660 (actually just do it anyway). otherwise your brake fluid is going to boil over and turn to garbage. no pedal feel and stopping will get harder and harder and worse and worse. also if its raining and your wheel is turned dont you dare give it more than 30% throttle or you'll be in a wall. other than that and what I've already said go nuts.
Definitely will take into consideration!
Sponsored

OP
OP

GoranRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Goran
Vehicle(s)
Yes, very true. The OP also sounds mature for his age and working hard to get what he wants. Im a firm believer on working hard and for something you like, otherwise its just working to survive. Some folks just need to save their advice for their own kids or better yet apply it to themselves.
I gotta hand it to you @GoranRC, at your age coming on here and asking for advice from people who've already been down the road several miles and years is a wise move and good sign of responsibility. Your folks did a good job raising you. Most kids your age know everything (they know nothing), are lazy (you aren't), and have their heads so far up their *ss they can watch their food digest in their stomach. Take all of the info on here and weigh it out. No matter what age you are, never be afraid to ask for advice.

I’m glad You can see my passion for this!
And thank you, I work hard to get what i want. I’m not afraid to work hard!

torqued

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Start an IRA with a reputable investor, max it out this fall and then at the beginning of 2020, add $1000 a year and hope for 9% or better annual return, from 17 to 67 you’ll end up with almost $2million if your returns average 9%. Historically it’s about 12%. Your so far ahead if you do. Live debt free don’t fall into the everyone has debt and payments trap.
And then die of cancer at 50, or find out that future inflation is such that $2M is like $200K. Things are changing so fast we just don't have enough ability to predict the future to be maybe sounding that certain about it. I think part of the reason young people don't seem interested in cars and want to just take Uber is that things like cars and homes seem out of reach to them. And maybe they are, maybe there'll be less ownership and more rental going forward, and payments will just be a way of life for everything. Who knows, but don't forget to enjoy life today, while also thinking about one's future.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Now for the real question...

Stick or Auto? If you buy a stick, that will cut down on thefts from millennials :)

Oh, YOLO so enjoy the car. You can't take money with you when your dead.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Woah, thank you guys! - Mix of responses here, I 75% Convincing me it’s the wrong decision and convincing me to take another route, and the rest giving some amazing input, which is what I asked for.

If I’m asking for advice before buying my mustang, I’ve looked at it from all angles. I’ve made a choice.

Truth is, the 75% aren’t wrong. It is a “risky” and looking from an angle an “irresponsible” decision, for a list of reasons.

1) Most young drivers wreck their cars in the first year.
2) Insurance will be too high, price is high
3) Car us too powerful for a first car
And more some of you above.

Though, excuse me to believe I’m capable of doing this.

I’ve been driving for a year straight with my dad’s car (2014 Volts. Passat). Haven’t gotten in any accidents, nor any tickets. I work 3 Jobs, support myself, and wouldn’t put myself in the category with other “teenagers around the world” at all.

I’m not a “fresh-out-the-box” driver, and by my sentence “i’m not getting the car to be a racer, just an enjoyable daily driver”, i think it’s obvious I’m not planning to be reckless with it.

Insurance being high, and the car itself are inevitable.. I’m 17, and a car with such “performance” on a “newer driver” will simply be high. But...i’m ready for that. I’m prepared to spend my money on the insurance and the monthly payments, hence the 10k downpayment to lower me as much as possible. With 2.4k a month, roughly $600 or a bit more per month to have the car wouldn’t be a big dent? - I’m prepared to pay 1k if i need to and still have lots left over monthly. - The lease option is interesting, I’ll definitely look into it!

Yes, I will get a Co-Sign. - My dad worked in Mercedes dealership as a dealer/salesman for 20+ years, so he’ll definitely make sure I get all the reports, and am getting a good deal!

As far as the other advice about spending my money for something else... Okay, if I don’t get the car I want, I get something else, and just have the rest of the 10k just sitting in my bank account...and then every month more money gets piled up. “Get something else rather then a car, get what you want”. - I find that contradictory...I want a Mustang, haha. - That’s what I want to spend My money on. I’m set on it, and I believe though not a lot of people do it..it’s not impossible to do it in a right, responsible way? - I’m also already pre-scheduled to take performance driving safety technique courses as soon as I get the car. I went near the performance driving schools around me and talked to them, I already pre-paid for whenever I get the car to take those courses and learn more about my car, and how to be safer overall.

Thoughts, guys?

Thank you yet-again for all of the input!
Sounds like you got it all figured out.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GoranRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Goran
Vehicle(s)
Now for the real question...

Stick or Auto? If you buy a stick, that will cut down on thefts from millennials :)

Oh, YOLO so enjoy the car. You can't take money with you when your dead.
Automatic for sure. In this LA near traffic, I’d not wanna have a stick. Plus, I’d like to be able to just put my hands relaxed on the side, or grippin/playin’ with my girl instead ;)

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
It's not a high maintenance car. EBs need no more maintenance than a Camry or Accord. Change the oil, brakes and tires when needed. Add in the occasional filter, wipers, etc. Just standard transportation appliance maintenance.
Yeah the gas millage of an EB is right next to my Fiesta. And other expenses like oil change and filters should be in the same ballpark yet a EB price is way more than a Fiesta you know and power wise is still a dangerous car for young driver. I drive for 7 years now and still my GT tries to kill me more than ones and I have no doubt an EB will try to do the same. This cars are dangerous.

Deleted member 35644

Saying these cars are dangerous is misleading. Bad drivers are dangerous. My EB hasn't hurt anyone. If you must have a Mustang, it is preferable for someone your age to shy away from the GT, which I'm glad to see you doing. Just don't jump in thinking the EB is a slow car. Far from it. Respect is needed. Happy hunting! Car shopping is fun.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
As far as the other advice about spending my money for something else... Okay, if I don’t get the car I want, I get something else, and just have the rest of the 10k just sitting in my bank account...and then every month more money gets piled up.
Actually yes. You will always want to keep money piling up. For rent, educational expenses, house down payment, vacations, the cars you buy after your Mustang :like: , retirement, etc.

But I'm not saying not to buy the car. You might want to consider a 15 or 16, though, to lower the cost and make it easier to keep saving money.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
Actually yes. You will always want to keep money piling up. For rent, educational expenses, house down payment, vacations, the cars you buy after your Mustang :like: , retirement, etc.

But I'm not saying not to buy the car. You might want to consider a 15 or 16, though, to lower the cost and make it easier to keep saving money.
He almost said money piling up was a bad thing lol

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
To be fair if you are 17 yo money piling up is a bad thing you have to spend this on booze, girls, cars etc why save it retirement is what 50-60 years away at that point.

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Get a GT, don't be a bitch.

Sorry, that's the generation I grew up in.
Yes, even though you've been eyeing an EB, get a Mustang GT so you can impress some random guys on the Internet.

But seriously, used EB and V6 prices are approaching $15K level so save for a few more months and buy one for cash. It may have some wear and tear but shouldn't matter since you're planning on doing visual mods and wrapping it anyways.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
It sounds like you have it all figured out and are heading in the right direction.

The Ecoboost is an excellent car and financing it will help build credit. Leaving the car stock is a wise decision as the Ecoboost has plenty of power and is very entertaining during spirited driving. If anything goes wrong the warranty will be intact.

Usually the best deals are in late summer when Ford offers more incentives to dealerships. Be prepared to walk away from the deal if the interest rate is too high. With your monthly income and down payment the monthly car payment should be 300 or less. Insurance will probably run another 300 a month and gas will run couple hundred maybe.

That is a huge expense for someone your age but as you said, you work hard so go for it, be safe, and have fun.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
It's OK. He's 17. I know my perspective was a lot different at that age.

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
Just hoping in to help out. I bought a 2018 Mustang about a year ago. Granted I am in my 30's but that being said I bought it because I wanted a car that I could daily drive. I think hardly a week went by before I started modifying it. Aesthetics, paint protective film, ceramic coating, the works. Under hood mods etc. I recently traded it in for a 2019 GT because I really wanted a V8 for the sound and the engine. It is my daily driver. The Eco is a great car and I loved it but you should know that a lot of people don't give it the respect it deserves. Even happens in these forums. If you go to shows be prepared for some people to appreciate it and others not to. Hope it doesn't get to you.

My advice is a few things.

1) The insurance in my area between a GT and an ECO were the same.
2) Depending on the type of sound you like you may never be able to achieve it on an Eco
3) The car is fast and a lot of fun but it won't feel the same as a naturally aspirated V8. The easiest way for me to describe it is the V8 is more linear and the Eco starts very hard and will drop off in higher RPM's.
4) The ECO feels a bit more fun to throw into corners due to the lower weight in the front end. (200 LBS approx)
5) Know that any money you put into the car you likely will never get back when you sell it (These should be for your enjoyment)
6) Find a reputable installer for Paint Protective Film and Ceramic. Do lots of research and go see the shop in person. I have pretty severe OCD and lots of shops do a poor job on edges with film that is noticeable. A lot of it depends on the color of the car. Whatever you do, don't fall for the Ceramic Pro marketing blitz. People will tell you ceramic coatings prevent scratching etc and that is not the case. Having a ceramic coating is awesome but it will stop you from being able to use automatic car washes and waxes etc... It can also still swirl and scratch. (I went with Xpel PPF and Xpel Ceramic and I loved both)
7) I had the Ford Performance Tune and it was really great. Did change how the car drove and was worth it IMO.
8) Putting in 87 vs 93 will make a very noticeable difference in how the car drives.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions because I owned both cars and like you I did a lot of mostly aesthetic work to the ECO.
Sponsored