Sponsored

T-56 Magnum XL grinding second

Macman313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 S550
Just swapped my S550 with a T-56 magnum, brand new Mcleod bearing, and a Mcleod RXT 1200 clutch, and a MGW shifter.

The transmission is brand new and is grinding second hard. Sometimes it grinds, sometimes its clean. It grinds more than it is clean.

I am thinking that it could be a bad synchro but then again how? Its done it from day one.

I have read that some have recommended amsoil atf. I am running mobile one which replaced the Valvoline within 50 miles. I couldnt locate amsoil and am not able to try it till i receive it.

I could use tremecs warranty, but i dont have the patience as I had to stare at my car on a lift last year.

Thoughts and opinions?
Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Did the TR6060 swap here so know this might not be related at all. On mine the MGW was not engaging all the way into second. I had to do some minimal grinding on the tunnel opening..like a 1/4" before it fully engaged. No issues afterwards.

OP
OP

Macman313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 S550
Did the TR6060 swap here so know this might not be related at all. On mine the MGW was not engaging all the way into second. I had to do some minimal grinding on the tunnel opening..like a 1/4" before it fully engaged. No issues afterwards.
Is the tr6060 the same style shifter? Or is it remote? Also
Photos may help if you have any.

Dalton@Evolution

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dalton
Vehicle(s)
First 2020 GT500 In Da 9z
I would look and see if the shifter is hitting the tunnel when you shift into second.

OP
OP

Macman313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 S550
I would look and see if the shifter is hitting the tunnel when you shift into second.
Like the tunnel where the shift handle goes through up
Into the car? It’s not. I checked for clearance.

Could it be an internal issue with the shifter?

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I helped a friend install a Magnum and it too was hard as f*** to get both into 2nd and also reverse. He had the MGW on it at first then went back to the original Tremec shifter then later to another that I have since forgot. I would try going back to the original shifter if possible and also jack up the rear wheels and see if you can shift gears with the engine running.

GritzNGravy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
My Tranny is about done with only 12k miles. Im really considering doing a magnum xl swap, been doing alot of research. I looked at Beerhasvitamins build thread, very helpfull, and he had to cut his shifter cause it would hit the center console by first and second. and. I could see that causing issues if you didnt do that?

OP
OP

Macman313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 S550
My Tranny is about done with only 12k miles. Im really considering doing a magnum xl swap, been doing alot of research. I looked at Beerhasvitamins build thread, very helpfull, and he had to cut his shifter cause it would hit the center console by first and second. and. I could see that causing issues if you didnt do that?
I purchased an MGW and it clears fine as the height and shift direction are both adjustable.

Additionally, I jacked the rear of the car up yesterday and when shifting the tires are spinning a quarter-half turn while the clutch is depressed which leads me to believe the clutch needs adjustment.

Im praying that this is the issue and that the trans doesnt need to be rebuilt.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
What slave cylinder did you use? You should need a 10-14 GT500 slave (FMC-DR3Z-7A508-A) for this combination.

Nutones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
c.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT S550
What slave cylinder did you use? You should need a 10-14 GT500 slave (FMC-DR3Z-7A508-A) for this combination.
Could you please elaborate on why the 10-14 GT500 slave cylinder...? Thanks.

Sponsored

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
I’ve installed 3 magnum xl Tremec transmissions in S550’s, one is in my car, and they are all running stock slave units as these kits are designed to. Stack heights of clutches regardless of single or double keep within extreme tolerances as well or they wouldn’t work correctly this way including in the mt82. The biggest mistake most make is not bleeding the slave properly before install, or even a new clutch line if one is added. This is one reason getting into a gear is difficult or you still have clutch drag while the pedal is fully depressed causing driveline engagement.
Nothing wrong with running adjustable throw out bearings and there much easier to bleed after fact.
Sponsored