Sponsored

Doesn't feel like 460hp...?

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Well based on your logic, the Corolla and Prius must be incredible cars too since they sell like crazy.
And Justin Bieber must be a talented musician, since he sells a lot of music...

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I so agree with this but the problem is I believe way too many people do care and this then drives the engineers and sales guys to design a car to win in the magazine articles and tracks. And of course all the "internet racing" of mine is faster then yours. I believe this is the reason why this particular thread was started. The engineers probably design a certain amount of street fun torque out of the motor to add it to the top end HP to win on the strip and dyno. "Win on Sunday sell on Monday". I would GLADLY take a bunch more torque and loose 500 RPM or so off the top and even 50 HP less at redline.
But by reducing the redline 500 rpm you won't get a bunch more torque, you'll get some more torque, but the top end is where the torque is needed for making the car fast in a straight line - which is where the Gen 3 Coyote excels at. It's why, even though the GT A10 has 35 ft lbs less torque than the SS LT1 engine, it is slightly faster than the SS A10 because it has more hp, even though it is about 40-50 lbs heavier.

That said, if you want more torque, I believe the F-150 intake manifold will give it to you, and will bring down the max hp rpm by well over 1,000 rpm if my memory serves me correct. And you'll lose something like 80-90 hp and gain a decent amount of torque. And your car will be much slower because of it. But at least it'll impress at 2,500 rpm!

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Honestly I believe the name "Mustang" and "5.0" and "coyote" have been marketed perfectly. The mustang heritage runs deeper then the Camaro I feel. I believe the Camaro does bring a lot of great traits but just doesn't have the same appeal as people wanting a "Mustang". And I'm one of them. First car was a mustang, mustang car shows, in general mustangs get more attention then Camaros in our area. But with that said I sure would like the motor and handling and interior of the Camaro over a GT.

Evidently the Camaro brings plenty of good traits because Nomadic had some years in the Mustangs and felt the need to go to the Camaro. Pretty sure he didn't switch over just to come on here and talk crap about mustangs.

Sponsored

Nomnom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
32 MPG 4 banger
isn't power to weight ratio a big factor? a civic type R only needs about 380hp to be about as fast as a GT since it's lighter. a 300hp miata would supposedly be about as fast too.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
Well based on your logic, the Corolla and Prius must be incredible cars too since they sell like crazy.
For their intended purpose, basic transportation for the masses, yes.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
That said, if you want more torque, I believe the F-150 intake manifold will give it to you, and will bring down the max hp rpm by well over 1,000 rpm if my memory serves me correct. And you'll lose something like 80-90 hp and gain a decent amount of torque. And your car will be much slower because of it. But at least it'll impress at 2,500 rpm![/QUOTE]

The F150 intake will certainly be a consideration when the time comes to get the GT where I want it for the street. I will probably never see the track and very seldom full throttle redline runs so .5 sec or so slower at the track I will not care about. The thing is I planned to get a new GT that has a nice warranty and I NEVER imagined 450 HP was going to feel this slow while short shifting and driving around normally. I'd downshift, then downshift again and cause more attention then I would like with a high revving v8 coming down the road. So I was really disappointed I was going to need to void a warranty to have a motor that was going to be as fun as my turbo cars were in the past or big V8's from the long past.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT 401a MT82
2018 F150 intake?

upload_2019-6-20_20-2-5.jpeg

GT350?
That said, if you want more torque, I believe the F-150 intake manifold will give it to you, and will bring down the max hp rpm by well over 1,000 rpm if my memory serves me correct. And you'll lose something like 80-90 hp and gain a decent amount of torque. And your car will be much slower because of it. But at least it'll impress at 2,500 rpm!
The F150 intake will certainly be a consideration when the time comes to get the GT where I want it for the street. I will probably never see the track and very seldom full throttle redline runs so .5 sec or so slower at the track I will not care about. The thing is I planned to get a new GT that has a nice warranty and I NEVER imagined 450 HP was going to feel this slow while short shifting and driving around normally. I'd downshift, then downshift again and cause more attention then I would like with a high revving v8 coming down the road. So I was really disappointed I was going to need to void a warranty to have a motor that was going to be as fun as my turbo cars were in the past or big V8's from the long past.[/QUOTE]

Does your car have active exhaust, just set it to quiet when you downshift again.

torqued

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I NEVER imagined 450 HP was going to feel this slow while short shifting and driving around normally. I'd downshift, then downshift again and cause more attention then I would like with a high revving v8 coming down the road. So I was really disappointed I was going to need to void a warranty to have a motor that was going to be as fun as my turbo cars were in the past or big V8's from the long past.
I too have been disappointed since coming from OHV motors in Chevies when I was younger to these OHC motors. Honestly, I think of these as over-sized Civic engines. My new high-performance car feels weaker driving around town than the old 5L V-8 in the hand-me-down '84 Caprice I drove in college. I think in a way it's a marketing trick with these engines, configure them to make ridiculous power that you can advertise, but put it way up in the rev band, outside of normal driving around town range, and don't suffer the wrath of the EPA MPG-counters or insurance companies if that power was more readily available.

With all that said however, I keep buying these, over cars with engines more suited to my taste, because of styling and having more faith in Ford's quality over the other two. So I'm learning to adjust my driving habits. I cruise on the freeway at 2K and have noticed that even two downshifts is not enough power to really overtake someone so I gotta get used to thinking to go three. On the streets, I don't care for having to make a big noise to wring some power out of this car, but it's what you gotta do. Like everything in life, it's a compromise.

Sponsored

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt, 2018 f150 eb 3.5
i knew a guy that had a rear mount turbo, built motor Camaro back when 9 second cars were insane. It was a automatic and felt rather slow for what it was.
I had a buddy with a built 4g63 and a gt48 that felt scary fast. Like brutal and terrifying fast on the street.

If you took a ride in both cars you’d think the dsm made 400 more hp and the Camaro would snatch its soul.

The mustang is tame feeling. It’s peaky with all the power up top. Rather smooth, rwd which doesn’t feel as fast IMO. Some cars are just that way. We are lucky to have factory base model mustangs that trap 115+ mph stock and don’t feel fast. Shit, my ecoboost f150 would do the humpty dance on my old foxbody mustang with four people in it with the ac on. It’s a great time to be car people

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Many of us would probably be happier with the F-150 engine for it's greater low-end torque. John George used one in his #48 Factory Five Type 65 Daytona Coupe and hit 135 mph at VIR even with the power limited by software.
We could swap in the intake and cams of the F-150 Coyote but at some point (Gen 2 to Gen 3 ?) the firing order became different for the two Coyotes.

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
My two cents. My Dad taught me the car companies never make the perfect car to meet everyone's needs. My old 69 340cu" dyno out at just over 400 HP. That car was fast and fun to drive. Won a lot of money street light racing with it. My 19 GT PP1 car is faster, handles great with fantastic brakes and get's 25MPH on the road at 75MPH. That said, it only seats two comfortably. Guess my GT is not a good as my 72 Charger as it seated 4 with comfort. :)

**Yes a 72 Charger with a "69" 340 CI motor with a lot of internal mods...…...very nice motor and in its day, destroyed a lot of Mustangs and Camaro's. **

Last edited:

JKL1031

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Premium
Track mode will clear it all up..100% throttle at 50%pedal
Sponsored