Sponsored

Joined the Whipple Club, Any Advice For a First Timer?

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
Na I went with the NT05's not the R's. The R's work great on the strip, but the wear rate is just super fast compared to the normal 05's. You give up some grip for sure though. I'm suprised I got into the mid 11's with a 255 NT05 last outing, with a 1.8 60' and only 1-2 lbs of boost in 1st using the Whipple power/gear setting. Probably will not be able to open it up fully in 1st until I go with more of a compounded tire....but if I get 1.7 anything 60' and low 11's that's good enough for me on the stage 1 kit with no other mods.
Sponsored

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Well about 1k miles under the supercharger and the 103 belt and I’m starting to get this chirp noise on cold start. Goes away but still annoying for sure. May try pushing the tensioner up or trying the 102.5 maybe. Idk

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds familiar!

I had to ditch the smooth-backed Gates belt within the first 500 miles. Went to a Continental OEM series with a textured back side, lasted about the same.

Switched to an OEM Motorcraft, no issues whatsoever. Have probably 100 pulls on this belt and 1k miles. What I believe to have been the issue was that the belt wraps around so many pullies with the smooth back side, it was that smooth surface that was squeaking. I lightly rubbed some sand paper on the back side of the belt and it would quit for a while.

I noticed back in 2011 Ford started using belts that were highly textured on the back side vs glossy, and how I never see belt issues related to noise with them.

You can see here, how an OEM Ford belt is very grainy and textured on the back side:

Here's the belt I am using. Completely quiet and should be on the shelf at most Ford Dealers. Worked for me.

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds familiar!

I had to ditch the smooth-backed Gates belt within the first 500 miles. Went to a Continental OEM series with a textured back side, lasted about the same.

Switched to an OEM Motorcraft, no issues whatsoever. Have probably 100 pulls on this belt and 1k miles. What I believe to have been the issue was that the belt wraps around so many pullies with the smooth back side, it was that smooth surface that was squeaking. I lightly rubbed some sand paper on the back side of the belt and it would quit for a while.

I noticed back in 2011 Ford started using belts that were highly textured on the back side vs glossy, and how I never see belt issues related to noise with them.

You can see here, how an OEM Ford belt is very grainy and textured on the back side:

Here's the belt I am using. Completely quiet and should be on the shelf at most Ford Dealers. Worked for me.

Thanks man, is it still a 103 length on the motorcraft belt?

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe so, yes. Looking at the part number i'm pretty sure it is but honestly I cannot remember.

Knock on wood that belt has been awesome to say the least. The cold start chrip is super annoying and something I will not deal with, period. If for some reason it comes back, and I have to switch to an alternate belt routing as shared in former posts by a member I will. If that for some reason doesn't work out, i'll move on to a different system entirely. Super annoying and it appears to be a problem across more than just me at this point with the supplied belt. Takes a while to come about is probably why most do not hear it right off, or perhaps they have a very loud car and cannot hear it, but when you are entirely stock like me you can hear everything.

Pretty confident the Motorcraft belt will keep it in check. So far I have been very happy with the Whipple setup otherwise, love the power and the driveability is perfect.

Sponsored

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I believe so, yes. Looking at the part number i'm pretty sure it is but honestly I cannot remember.

Knock on wood that belt has been awesome to say the least. The cold start chrip is super annoying and something I will not deal with, period. If for some reason it comes back, and I have to switch to an alternate belt routing as shared in former posts by a member I will. If that for some reason doesn't work out, i'll move on to a different system entirely. Super annoying and it appears to be a problem across more than just me at this point with the supplied belt. Takes a while to come about is probably why most do not hear it right off, or perhaps they have a very loud car and cannot hear it, but when you are entirely stock like me you can hear everything.

Pretty confident the Motorcraft belt will keep it in check. So far I have been very happy with the Whipple setup otherwise, love the power and the driveability is perfect.
Yea man I hear you. I knew I could throw on my spare gates belt and it’s likely quiet down at first... but eventually come back.
I’ll try the OE belt and let ya know. Thanks again man I like the kit as well.

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I got it changed to the one you listed, of course ford is charging nearly $50 for it with tax but I got it. The change from the 106 gates to this 103.3 was not easy. Took me quite some time with the adjustable idler set all the way to the passenger side (different from the 106 which had it more to the driver side).
But I got it in and sounds nice so far. we’ll see how she holds up. The tensioner is def pretty high up on its range of motion... hoping the belt stretches a bit to get it around the 80% instead of the 90% it’s at now.

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, that's how mine was too. However the Tensioner moved down a bit and has never given me any fits. You may have to remove the offset block on the adjustable idiler by the alt and move it so the offset hole is towards the passenger side, this will give you just enough clearance to get the belt on more easily, and keep you away from the end stop of the billet tensioner more. Once you see what pullies to slide it on/off of, it actually goes on pretty easily.

So far, I have had no issues whatsoever, maybe 1200 miles on that belt and 90% of that is track and dyno.

It's something with the smooth backing of the Gates belt. The Continental that I tried had a semi-textured back, but the Motorcraft by far as the best texture on the back side to help combat squeal/squeek.

baevid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Do you guys have pictures of the correct way the adjustable idler is to be installed to work with the K061030 belt?

My car is down now at the shop but originally I had the K061066 and looking at that chart there's no way to put a smaller belt as is. I'm trying to go K061020 to fit the 3.25" pulley correctly per Whipple's chart. I was about to return these extra belts I ordered until I stumbled upon this thread.

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got it changed to the one you listed, of course ford is charging nearly $50 for it with tax but I got it. The change from the 106 gates to this 103.3 was not easy. Took me quite some time with the adjustable idler set all the way to the passenger side (different from the 106 which had it more to the driver side).
But I got it in and sounds nice so far. we’ll see how she holds up. The tensioner is def pretty high up on its range of motion... hoping the belt stretches a bit to get it around the 80% instead of the 90% it’s at now.
How is that belt holding up? Still good to go here after all summer. Although, I do not drive the car daily, maybe 1500 miles on this belt at the most so far. Although, it has seen a lot of dragstrip and dyno use so I would like to think it has been properly tested so far :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New personal best!

11.4@125, with a 1.7 60' time.

This is on Nitto NT05 (Not R's), in a 305 width on AM 19x10" wheels. Full power all gears, I had to leave off idle though as stalling it up any produced a lot of wheel spin/hop.

Corrected D/A was in the 2k range, which is good air for us out here.

10 sec car at this location/track with a set of real tires and a brake stall launch. Car is entirely stock less the Whipple Gen 3, stage 1 kit (750hp), Whipple supplied tune with only Octane Adjust turned off, pump 91 fuel with 1/2 can of boostane on a full tank of fuel. Car has ran over 20 passes this season, along with a few out of town jaunts on the weekend.

I am very pleased with the Whipple kit. Driveability is stock, and the E/T's are awesome for such an entry level kit.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
New personal best!

11.4@125, with a 1.7 60' time.

This is on Nitto NT05 (Not R's), in a 305 width on AM 19x10" wheels. Full power all gears, I had to leave off idle though as stalling it up any produced a lot of wheel spin/hop.

Corrected D/A was in the 2k range, which is good air for us out here.

10 sec car at this location/track with a set of real tires and a brake stall launch. Car is entirely stock less the Whipple Gen 3, stage 1 kit (750hp), Whipple supplied tune with only Octane Adjust turned off, pump 91 fuel with 1/2 can of boostane on a full tank of fuel. Car has ran over 20 passes this season, along with a few out of town jaunts on the weekend.

I am very pleased with the Whipple kit. Driveability is stock, and the E/T's are awesome for such an entry level kit.
Good result...especially considering you are not on DRs. I continue to hear great things about the Whipple kits and the drivability of their tune. I am 99% sure I will be going that way with my 2018.

OP
OP
96gt4.6

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys, I appreciate it very much.

I also have the driver side GT350 cv shaft upgrade, and i'm glad I did that prior to going full send on trying to brake stall launch it. The wheel hop was horrific on the pass I tried, as the track was ultra tacky so the back wheels bounced like basketballs, and I was an idiot with my right foot playing team no-lift....but she seems to have survived for that one oops moment thankfully. I'm confident the stock LH CV would have snapped under those conditions....

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I had bad wheelhop on my stock 2018 until I put on some DRs. That was the cure. I also have a GT350 shaft on the driver's side. That is a good inexpensive upgrade unless you go crazy and create a low 10 or a 9 second car. That would require a more significant upgrade.
Sponsored