Sponsored

What Transmission fluid is everyone running at the track?

hogpowr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Guys, i have a 2016 tech pack car. I put on an engine oil cooler, but did not put on a tranny oil cooler. The car went into limp mode towards the end of a session last week and an error code of high oil temperature came on. My oil temp was under 250 degrees and the head temperatures where within decent range. I can't read the trans temp... (need some forscan help but thats a whole other topic). so before i put a tranny cooler on the car, i want to change transmission fluid. I'm leaning towards redline. would like opinions to see if anyone had same issue with trans temps, changed the oil and if that fixed it......
Sponsored

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
Guys, i have a 2016 tech pack car. I put on an engine oil cooler, but did not put on a tranny oil cooler. The car went into limp mode towards the end of a session last week and an error code of high oil temperature came on. My oil temp was under 250 degrees and the head temperatures where within decent range. I can't read the trans temp... (need some forscan help but thats a whole other topic). so before i put a tranny cooler on the car, i want to change transmission fluid. I'm leaning towards redline. would like opinions to see if anyone had same issue with trans temps, changed the oil and if that fixed it......

BG PRODUCTS SYNCRO SHIFT II MANUAL TRANSMISSION LUBE KIT - 2015-2016 MUSTANG SHELBY GT350 NON TRACK PACK
Find it Here:

https://www.opmustang.com/store/p90...16_MUSTANG_SHELBY_GT350_NON_TRACK_PACK.html#/

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Your tran was probably above 210 which is the highest my tech 16 pack was seen through enabling the sensor using forscan. this was just recently doing some spirited driving. Your tran was probably at 270 degrees as the tran temp is always higher than the engine oil temp. At least from what I've seen and I'd say this is accurate to say as you hit limp mode. definitely you'll want to change out your tran oil asap.

i will say this, im confused as to why you added another engine oil cooler. the engine oil for the 2016 tech pack isn't the problem it's the tranny and differential that need help.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Mine runs pleasantly cool - it has a a cooler - with Motorcraft XT-11-QDC Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid. Shifts way better than ATF too.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Out of curiosity, I know the corvettes and camaro with the trany cooler range around 140* while the engine temp is at 190*. What does yours look like by the time you make it to the track and before the race starts.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Out of curiosity, I know the corvettes and camaro with the trany cooler range around 140* while the engine temp is at 190*. What does yours look like by the time you make it to the track and before the race starts.
Temperatures are all over the place before a session starts - they depend on how long it's been since the last time out. During a session, with air temps in the sixties (this year) I get engine oil temp of 250, diff temp of 220 and trans temp at 170 toward the end of a session when everything is as hot as it'll get. Now, my trans has the cooler, but it's still a lot cooler than everything else that has coolers. I'm shifting between third and fourth gear. Note that I switched to MC DCT fluid because of the shifting - I was getting a nibble going into second with the ATF and with the DCT fluid it's gone. Ford's DCT fluid, by the way, is really just a low viscosity GL4 gear oil - same viscosity as Mercon LV - that was introduced in Ford dry clutch DCT gearboxes in Europe. It has nothing in common with wet clutch DCT fluids like the Porsches and GTR's use, except maybe that it's slippery and a pale yellow color.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Amsoil makes an ATF that meets the Mercon LV spec as well as a DCT one. Pretty sure @honeybadger runs the DCT one and likes it much better. I may go to that as well next change. Currently running the ATF one and to be honest, I don’t notice a different from factory fill. Might even feel a little too loose.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I've run stock, royal purple synchromax and Amsoil synchro-something or other.

After more time on the Amsoil, I think I like the Royal Purple the most. It's a TINY bit more viscuous and the trans feel just a bit more crisp when being worked hard. I think the Amsoil would be a better street-track combo, but so far I like the Royal purple stuff.

Both hold up great to track abuse and are lasting a long time. I change diff/trans fluid about every 6-10 events, so I don't run it that long.

Another vote for royal purple - it's purple (duh), but changes to brown when it's really time to change. So that's a bonus. Super easy to tell when it's completely done.

Reactions: TDC
OP
OP
hogpowr

hogpowr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Thanks guys! much appreciated! i still can't figure out why ford would put a sensor in the tranny and allow the R cars to read trans temps but not have it naturally in the non R. oh well.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Thanks guys! much appreciated! i still can't figure out why ford would put a sensor in the tranny and allow the R cars to read trans temps but not have it naturally in the non R. oh well.
I'm guessing that's a '16 track pack thing going on, or something to that effect...anything '17 and later has tranny temp in any car. Does not have to be a R!

NDALLAS40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
BG SYNCRO SHIFT II FULL SYNTHETIC TRANS FLUID & GEAR LUBE in tranny and diff.
Sponsored