HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I have some bolt holes with paint in them. Small wire brush doesn't dent it. Not somewhere I can use chemical strippers.I want it out to eliminate impact on torquing.

I assume a tap or thread chaser will take care of this but don't have either. Not really sure of the difference other than a tap would also be able to make threads where none existed. For just this use, is there any real advantage of one over the other?
Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Taps are strictly for cutting threads. I've used them to clean threads, but you're better off with a thread chaser because it doesn't cut any material. You can get a cheap set on amazon or harbor freight for occasional use. Either way you'll be alright using either one in most cases. On an old iron block engine I'd definitely use only a thread chaser because I wouldn't want to cut any material with a tap on something that has already deteriorated over time.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Taps are strictly for cutting threads. I've used them to clean threads, but you're better off with a thread chaser because it doesn't cut any material. You can get a cheap set on amazon or harbor freight for occasional use. Either way you'll be alright using either one in most cases. On an old iron block engine I'd definitely use only a thread chaser because I wouldn't want to cut any material with a tap on something that has already deteriorated over time.
Thanks! But a chaser will cut the paint, right? Stuff is on there good. Must be epoxy paint. The right sized bolt doesn't remove it but you can feel the resistance when it meets the paint.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
A tap will probably do a better job removing the paint. You could try some lacquer thinner soaked heavily on a rag and stuff it in the hole to soak for several minutes before running the tap in. Either way, the tap will free up any resistance you are feeling. What exactly are you working on?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
A tap will work just fine, done it many times. A thread chaser would be preferred, but if the holes were properly tapped to begin with the tap shouldn't remove much of any additional material.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Thanks to all. To maximize cheapness am borrowing a tap from a friend today.

Will post results.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Tap did the job. Wish I had a chaser the same size to compare.

I didn't want to do any damage so was glad I could run the tap thru by hand pinching the square between finger and thumb. Figured I wasn't likely to strip anything that way. Turned pretty easy most of the way. but was almost at the limit of what I could turn by hand when it got to the paint (I started from the other end). Only got a little dust and a few very small curlies, all the color of the paint. The bolts that I almost needed a breaker bar to turn thru the paint, glide thru now. In fact I don't need to turn them at all; can just push them thru [/bad wrong size tap joke]

Thanks everyone.
Sponsored

Last edited: