OP

laregood24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hey op you have solved the story from what you posted.You said you was getting misfires codes on cold start up on the tune from bama.That sounds like that was tbe problem right their.Probably.after too many misfires you done some damage.I dont think the second tuner had anything to do with it.I would be willing to bet that you were getting detonation even though you were on e85.Bama should have not let you do wot passes while having misfires.
That is pretty much what i figured already, but i only got misfires after having the bama tune for over a year, and only on cold starts.
Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
That is pretty much what i figured already, but i only got misfires after having the bama tune for over a year, and only on cold starts.
Yea but to.get a code for a misfire you have to have a mifire on multiple key cycles.So it could have been just getting a misfire on cold starts or getting misfires under other conditions too.Thats why when you have a cel light on for something it is best to data log your car until you figure out why.I know it sucks im pulling my heads now for a blown head gasket right after just rebuilding my trans.But my car is high power and i hit the track alot so i bring this shit on myself.

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible with Performance Pack
So last week i blew my motor at just over 20k miles NA only the whole time. I was tuned by a less reputable company on e85 for over a year then switched to a much better company less than a month ago.

I had just put on a 2018 manifold took it out for a test drive and after 5 or 6 3rd gear pulls up to 7700 rpm the motor blew at 7200 rpm or so in 3rd. Sounded like a pinball in the motor for a second or 2 and it punched a hole in the bottom of the pan

Of course I towed it to the dealership and the preliminary observation is believed to have been a thrown rod. Seeing as my warranty is voided from the tune i didnt bother to have them tear the motor apart to avoid paying insane labor rates to find out the motor is blown anyway.

Has anyone heard of an NA gen 2 throwing a rod at 20k miles? Tuner also did base data logs and said the car seemed happy before i got the e85 tuned. So i finds it hard to believe it was running hot from leaning, i always watched my temps.

Im honestly going a little crazy trying to figure out how plenty of people are running around with 700hp+ and not blowing anything up for a long time. I didnt baby the car but i wasnt at the drag stip every weekend either.
What makes you think your warranty is voided? Installing modifications does NOT void your warranty. THAT is against the law. The MAgnuson Moss act is very clear about this. The factory must PROVE it was your modification that caused the damage. THAT is very difficult to do.

JRuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I actually do have some logs from when i got the second tune. I even was logging when it blew up i believe. Like i said though the tuner said she looked good on the base tune before i did anything else.

Now this is gonna sound crazy but i found the o ring from one of the factory injectors stuck in the oem manifold. What a mistake not checking the oem injectors before installing the new ones. Now would a double o ring cause a cylinder to run a little lean? Its been like that for well over a year before hand. I figure the widebands would account for anything like that anyway.

Also have lu47 injectors.
Never would I have taken to the dealer with mod
Why would you take it straight to the dealer with the Mods?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Before we get crazy with speculation, why don't you actually pull the engine and tear it apart to see what broke and where.

That will tell you alot more what caused the issue rather than us speculating over the 1000 different things that could have gone wrong.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Dont they offer an 8th cylinder warranty or guarantee on their tunes?

Kept seeing that pop up with their tunes on other forums.
I remember that from the S197 days. Of course even if they still do and have ever made good before, this happened after he got rid of the Bama tune, unless I'm reading things wrong.

JRuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Before we get crazy with speculation, why don't you actually pull the engine and tear it apart to see what broke and where.

That will tell you alot more what caused the issue rather than us speculating over the 1000 different things that could have gone wrong.
I do believe he will be doing just that because I don't see Ford paying to fix or repair it with the mods still in place.

Climax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
04 40th Ann Mustang, 2015 Mustang
So last week i blew my motor at just over 20k miles NA only the whole time. I was tuned by a less reputable company on e85 for over a year then switched to a much better company less than a month ago.

I had just put on a 2018 manifold took it out for a test drive and after 5 or 6 3rd gear pulls up to 7700 rpm the motor blew at 7200 rpm or so in 3rd. Sounded like a pinball in the motor for a second or 2 and it punched a hole in the bottom of the pan

Of course I towed it to the dealership and the preliminary observation is believed to have been a thrown rod. Seeing as my warranty is voided from the tune i didnt bother to have them tear the motor apart to avoid paying insane labor rates to find out the motor is blown anyway.

Has anyone heard of an NA gen 2 throwing a rod at 20k miles? Tuner also did base data logs and said the car seemed happy before i got the e85 tuned. So i finds it hard to believe it was running hot from leaning, i always watched my temps.

Im honestly going a little crazy trying to figure out how plenty of people are running around with 700hp+ and not blowing anything up for a long time. I didnt baby the car but i wasnt at the drag stip every weekend either.

Climax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
04 40th Ann Mustang, 2015 Mustang
Time to visit Copart.com and look for a car that is beat up that you can take the engine out of and put in yours.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
What makes you think your warranty is voided? Installing modifications does NOT void your warranty. THAT is against the law. The MAgnuson Moss act is very clear about this. The factory must PROVE it was your modification that caused the damage. THAT is very difficult to do.
In this scenario it would not be hard at all to PROVE the mods did it. Raised Rev limiter, running E85, disabled IMRC on a non stock manifold....Any dealer that would warranty this one is VERY customer friendly. We aren't talking about blaming lowering springs for a spun bearing here.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I do believe he will be doing just that because I don't see Ford paying to fix or repair it with the mods still in place.
Ford will never warranty the engine because of the ECU reflashes.

OP
OP

laregood24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Here is an update. Tech found cylinder 1 and 5 spark plugs smashed, did not proceed any further, I paid for a gen 2 long block and installation. Never seen a dealer move so fast. Dropped it off friday, parts ordered, parts in monday, done by friday. If it was in for a warranty claim on a tie rod end it would have taken longer than that!

After installtion of the block, I then of course have to re tune the vehicle to get it out of the shop since they had to reflash the pcm to stock to run diagnostics on the new motor. Luckily Lund ngauges lock to the vin so I had no problems reflashing the tune even though they flashed over the Lund tune. Stock was not an option with lu47s and e85 in the tank unless I wanted to pay tons more labor to have them drain the fuel and swap the plugs.

On start up the thing smoked and smoked and smoked some more. Residual oil stuck in the cats we believe. All was running ok besides a weird flutter in rpm and throwing lean codes randomly while driving. Turns out the air inlet tube was not properly connected to the throttle body, I understand it's tricky with the pmas intakes. Fixed that, still had the weird stalling/flutter while in park and stopped. After a day of this flutter I figured what the heck let me clean the throttle body and MAF in case oil gummed it up when the motor blew.

Sure enough this is what I saw after removing the throttle body

https://i.imgur.com/WrnQe0g.jpg

Luckily since I still had the 18 manifold gasket I put it on the stock one so I'm not driving around lean until I can get the right one from ford even if I think they are the same it was only $8. Ford techs charge $130 an hour and cant put a gasket or inlet tube on right. smh

All in all it was $9400, 7k parts, 1.8k labor, 600 sales tax. I also asked the service writer if he could inquire about my old motor and see if he could tell me what ford finds. I'll keep you guys updated.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Here is an update. Tech found cylinder 1 and 5 spark plugs smashed, did not proceed any further, I paid for a gen 2 long block and installation. Never seen a dealer move so fast. Dropped it off friday, parts ordered, parts in monday, done by friday. If it was in for a warranty claim on a tie rod end it would have taken longer than that!

After installtion of the block, I then of course have to re tune the vehicle to get it out of the shop since they had to reflash the pcm to stock to run diagnostics on the new motor. Luckily Lund ngauges lock to the vin so I had no problems reflashing the tune even though they flashed over the Lund tune. Stock was not an option with lu47s and e85 in the tank unless I wanted to pay tons more labor to have them drain the fuel and swap the plugs.

On start up the thing smoked and smoked and smoked some more. Residual oil stuck in the cats we believe. All was running ok besides a weird flutter in rpm and throwing lean codes randomly while driving. Turns out the air inlet tube was not properly connected to the throttle body, I understand it's tricky with the pmas intakes. Fixed that, still had the weird stalling/flutter while in park and stopped. After a day of this flutter I figured what the heck let me clean the throttle body and MAF in case oil gummed it up when the motor blew.

Sure enough this is what I saw after removing the throttle body

https://i.imgur.com/WrnQe0g.jpg

Luckily since I still had the 18 manifold gasket I put it on the stock one so I'm not driving around lean until I can get the right one from ford even if I think they are the same it was only $8. Ford techs charge $130 an hour and cant put a gasket or inlet tube on right. smh

All in all it was $9400, 7k parts, 1.8k labor, 600 sales tax. I also asked the service writer if he could inquire about my old motor and see if he could tell me what ford finds. I'll keep you guys updated.
Ouch! Expensive adventure. Hopefully the new engine will last a long time.

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
All in all it was $9400, 7k parts, 1.8k labor, 600 sales tax.
Wow!!!!! You could have gotten a complete gen 3 5.0L out of a F150 with like 10k miles for $3,000. Glad your car is back on the road.
Sponsored