PPF half hood? What does it look like?

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Really shocked at how much the PPF costs. But I see why. It's labor intensive work to apply. I just can't afford to do the whole front end. My car is not a daily. It's an occasional weeknight and weekend fun car when the weather is nice.
So I'm thinking of doing the following:

Full bumper
Partial hood
Partial front fenders
Front and behind the rear wheels
Side mirrors and possibly the head lights.
The roof is getting a black vinyl wrap. I haven't found anyone who can do black xpel.

What are these PPF lines going to look like on velocity blue?
Does anyone have pictures?
Sponsored

armsdealer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue Mustang GT Premium PP2
You will regret not doing the full hood/fenders. It looks so much cleaner not to mention protects a much larger area. How much are you being quoted? Around here a full front cap runs about $1400 for suntek or xpel pretty much across the line at all the shops.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Totally agree with armsdealer. Brought my car in yesterday for full front clip PPF & Ceramic. Originally was going to just do partial but I know I would take a rock inches from the cut line. That would have hurt a lot more than the extra $$$$.

SnakeAndSteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I'll agree with the others. Gotta do the entire front end. Half a hood or half a fender will leave a line which will trap dirt on the edge and it'll get gnarly looking in time.

Sponsored

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
I would recommend going with the whole hood. Here in Houston my shop did the bumper, mirror covers, and full hood for $750 with Suntek Ultimate. Half hood would've run $100 less. When I went to the shop, I saw a couple of examples of cars that they did to see the quality of their work. They had a few with the half hood, and it wasn't too noticeable from 20 feet, but it depends on the color and you'll notice it more up close. If the car gets dirty, it leaves a more pronounced line. I would guess it would make it somewhat trickier to apply a wax/sealant/coating because you don't want product to build up in the crevice.

Had I done it again, I would've gotten them to do all of the above, plus the headlights and the lower fenders behind the front and rear wheel wells. Those parts can take a beating over time.

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Thanks guys! I did some shopping around and Ziebart will do XPEL Ult+ on the entire front of the car, +full hood, mirrors, headlights and A pillars + they will add a little PPF inside the door handles for $1500 Canadian. I was being quoted over $2K by other shops for the same coverage. All I need to do is add some PPF in front and behind the rear wheels and I think I'll well protected.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Good choice. Guaranteed you will look back and know you made the right decision. Post pics and let us know how you’re experience went.

Sponsored

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
You will not regret doing the full hood and fenders. The edge of the film is quite noticeable depending on the lighting.

myblkshadow19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I would recommend going with the whole hood. Here in Houston my shop did the bumper, mirror covers, and full hood for $750 with Suntek Ultimate. Half hood would've run $100 less. When I went to the shop, I saw a couple of examples of cars that they did to see the quality of their work. They had a few with the half hood, and it wasn't too noticeable from 20 feet, but it depends on the color and you'll notice it more up close. If the car gets dirty, it leaves a more pronounced line. I would guess it would make it somewhat trickier to apply a wax/sealant/coating because you don't want product to build up in the crevice.

Had I done it again, I would've gotten them to do all of the above, plus the headlights and the lower fenders behind the front and rear wheel wells. Those parts can take a beating over time.
what SHOP texstang? I'm up in houston almost monthly. thanks

slowrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Due to not wanting to spend 2K on my Suntek PPF, I did this:

Full Front Bumper
Full Hood
1/3 front fenders
Grill
Side View Mirrors
12" leading roofline
Rear Fender Impact Area (front of rear fender)
Headlights
Fog Lights

$1500

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1

Which shop? I’m in the market to have mine done.
Sponsored