car

Car
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT550 2018
15000 kms (10K miles) rings in no 1 broken. Bit disappointing but Ford are doing the right thing and replacing the motor. And given me a decent car to use during the 6 weeks wait. I dont know what caused it - I had just completed a 9000 km trip across Australia (Perth to Sydney and back) with no problems. I was driving along low speed and felt a thump and everything seemed normal but heard the noise and vibration at idle.
Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
15000 kms (10K miles) rings in no 1 broken. Bit disappointing but Ford are doing the right thing and replacing the motor. And given me a decent car to use during the 6 weeks wait. I dont know what caused it - I had just completed a 9000 km trip across Australia (Perth to Sydney and back) with no problems. I was driving along low speed and felt a thump and everything seemed normal but heard the noise and vibration at idle.
That sucks pretty bad.
Glad they’ve got your back though.
Can’t say I’ve heard too much about rings failing on the Gen 3 engines, especially on a stock vehicle. Unlucky.

OP
OP
car

car

Car
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT550 2018
Yes strange. I came back from my trip - had the car serviced and was only a short distance away. Oil was full synthetic Penrite 5 w 30 (as per book). Ford filter. I was at low speed as there was a red light camera ahead. I keep thinking why? Do we need to warm up the engine more? I will definitely do that with the new engine - i always drive fairly slowly until I see a temp rise on the gauge. Maybe I was just unlucky. I was lucky to get back on my trip because I went through some pretty remote areas. No chance getting the car back if it had broken down.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes strange. I came back from my trip - had the car serviced and was only a short distance away. Oil was full synthetic Penrite 5 w 30 (as per book). Ford filter. I was at low speed as there was a red light camera ahead. I keep thinking why? Do we need to warm up the engine more? I will definitely do that with the new engine - i always drive fairly slowly until I see a temp rise on the gauge. Maybe I was just unlucky. I was lucky to get back on my trip because I went through some pretty remote areas. No chance getting the car back if it had broken down.
I’m not convinced that you’ve caused the issue but....
For me, I make sure the oil is up to “normal” temp at an absolute MINIMUM before even thinking about getting stuck into it.
Also, just an FYI, radiator water temp isn’t actually measured on these cars, it’s inferred from the Cylinder Head Temp. I’d expect CHT to climb somewhat faster than what we could call “the bulk of the water in the system”. Read into that what you will.
Hope it all works out for you Chris.

Reactions: car

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Don't overthink it. Things happen. That's what warranty is for. Guys ice intakes and run ice boxes on FI setups that can generate 45 degree air into the cylinder on stock blocks running double the HP you are making. It was a defect...human error...or some other natural phenomenon of an imperfect world that caused the failure. Blaming yourself for not babying it? Come on! You think the design engineers at Ford designed something like this for little old men to putt-putt to Hooters on a Saturday night and then to church on Sundays? HOGWASH! They built them knowing they would be flogged. They specified the oil and additives that by far exceed the needs of the engine. The planned maintenance for routine maintenance again planned well within the constraints of the guidelines of the products lifetime. These aren't one-hit wonder funny cars that require an engine tear down after every 1000 ft launch. They are designed for longevity. Unfortunately the MTBF (mean time between failures) specification they go buy to estimate life of the engine and everything that goes into maintaining it also includes failures on the low side.

Sorry for your misfortune. Glad someone however took the time to post up that warranty was stood behind. Not enough said on the good thigns service/support does.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
car

car

Car
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT550 2018
yes my 15K is wiped. Wish the meter cold be taken back too...

OP
OP
car

car

Car
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT550 2018
I'm reduced to driving the Mercedes AMG GTS - twin-turbo V8. Really really quick - attracts a LOT of attention.
merc1.jpg
merc2.jpg

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
^^^ Sorry you are having to Slum it driving that car. Definitely a downgrade....:facepalm:

Reactions: car

etbiru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
No you certainly dont need to warm up the engine before driving it.
The Penrite 5W-30 that meets the ford spec is A5, it is more like between 5W-20 to 5W-30 in thickness. Just pouring the oil through a funnel you can see that the Penrite 5w-30 drains faster than normal 5W-30. So it would flow instantly the moment you start the car.
Of course you got to be reasonable, if the engine is cold let it warm up before you drive hard.

Sponsored
OP
OP
car

car

Car
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT550 2018
Well all of last night all this doesnt matter any more. Thieves broke in to dealership and stole my car (see new thread) bummer.

andman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 GT
I though I'd keep this thread going instead of starting a new one.

I'm also up for a new engine in my MY19 GT with 15k kms. Had the rattle between 2-3k rpm since new didn't bother me, then I noticed a knocking sound in the engine the other day and booked it in. Got the report back the other day and Ford is replacing the engine (supposedly scoring in two of the cylinders or something)

What's the process with a new engine? Is it a new engine number? Do I need to update my vehicle rego/ insurance details?

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Sorry to hear that mate. A few in the US have reported scored cylinders following engine failures.

The dealer should take care of the engine number issue, not sure if they stamp a new number or it comes with a number but they need to submit a change of details to the rego folks. Would strongly recommend making sure they know to do this though.

I think insurance works on VIN so probably no need to do anything but just check what's on your insurance certificate to be sure.

Did they mention anything about what might have scored the bores?

Good luck

OP
OP
car

car

Car
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT550 2018
mine was broken rings. But why does it happen at 15K after a service?

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Ah, that'll do it. Good question, I'd wager coincidence. It'd be hard for them to do something during a service to cause broken rings. If they ran it without oil it'd probably just sieze, and the Coyote seems to take a lot of hammering so even if they thrashed it silly it wouldn't hurt it. Unfortunately trying to get info out of Ford on anything - FM oil coolers and aircon evaps, FM BBQ tick and 2000 rm rattle for example - has been impossible.
Sponsored