Sponsored

Convertible owners that completely removed the sound tube...

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
I am in the process of completely removing the sound tube in my convertible and looking for some advice.....

I did the cheap and dirty fix way back with the rubber chair leg covers on the air intake and the end near the cone shaped what-ever-it-is thingy. Anyway, I just removed the strut brace and still can’t come close to getting my hand down there and then realized our cars have ANOTHER brace running from the strut housing back to the firewall/wiper area.

Looks like I have to remove the wipers and the plastic piece under the wipers to access the bolts to remove the other bracing before I can get access to the tube. If I don’t do this, I can’t see any way to get my hand down between the fire wall and motor to attach the plug for the firewall.

Am I missing something??‍♂
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Are you talking about the connection at the firewall? I removed that without removing anything else, I disconnected the end that connects to the air tube (sounds like you've done that), once I had that removed I folded it under the strut bar, and just yanked it up which snapped the one small tab where it mounts to the firewall - then I stuck a rubber cap/grommet over the hole in the firewall.

When I stuck the cap in - which I believe would work for removing the fastener as well - I stood "backwards", i.e., next to the drivers fender, and used my right hand (so I was facing the same direction as the car), that really lets you get down there and let's your arm bend the right way.

Again, my was removed without the ability to reinstall since I busted that clip, so much easier, but I could've probably removed the one nut (I think it's like a 10mm?) standing like I did to cap the hole.

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:
OP
OP
Fordever

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Are you talking about the connection at the firewall? I removed that without removing anything else, I disconnected the end that connects to the air tube (sounds like you've done that), once I had that removed I folded it under the strut bar, and just yanked it up which snapped the one small tab where it mounts to the firewall - then I stuck a rubber cap/grommet over the hole in the firewall.

When I stuck the cap in - which I believe would work for removing the fastener as well - I stood "backwards", i.e., next to the drivers fender, and used my right hand (so I was facing the same direction as the car), that really lets you get down there and let's your arm bend the right way.

Again, my was removed without the ability to reinstall since I busted that clip, so much easier, but I could've probably removed the one nut (I think it's like a 10mm?) standing like I did to cap the hole.
That sounds a lot easier than what I was gonna do. Lol

I will try that first. If not I think I can remove the K bracing without lifting the wipers and removing the cowl.

OP
OP
Fordever

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fordever

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
All done. Looks quite a bit cleaner without that weird looking sound tube. :rockon:

Now I just have to paint my engine cover and all is good.:)

image.jpg

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
All done. Looks quite a bit cleaner without that weird looking sound tube. :rockon:

Now I just have to paint my engine cover and all is good.:)

image.jpg
Not to mention it will be easier to check the oil. That is my main gripe with the sound tube.

smbsocal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT Vert, '17 C7 Z06, '19 BMW X5
I removed the sound tube from my '18. I tried to remove it by pulling it out and was able to do so after cutting the sound tube in half. After I pulled it I plugged the hole with the plug that a number of others have used on the forum and used HVAC tape on top of it as well.

Removing the tube helped clean up the engine bay and definitely cleaned up the sound in the car. I love the sound of the engine / exhaust but I don't want some artificial sound added to it by a tube.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Fordever

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Thanx Bill. I have been contemplating doing that. Just haven’t gotten round to it yet. Enjoying the top down weather here. And it won’t be long before she sees a long sleep again. So this will be one of my little cold weather projects. :)

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I removed the sound tube from my '18. I tried to remove it by pulling it out and was able to do so after cutting the sound tube in half. After I pulled it I plugged the hole with the plug that a number of others have used on the forum and used HVAC tape on top of it as well.

Removing the tube helped clean up the engine bay and definitely cleaned up the sound in the car. I love the sound of the engine / exhaust but I don't want some artificial sound added to it by a tube.
Yeah, I just got a '19 and yanked it out, it was very satisfying :D I used a rubber chair foot from Ace Hardware to plug the outlet on the intake tube (I got them to do the same on my '16 when I re-OEM'ed it for trade, so fixed two cars for $2.99, that's a bargain, hahahaha ...)

I'd like to tape over my firewall plug too, it's not very tight, maybe just a couple of strips of duct tape.

OP
OP
Fordever

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Yeah, I just got a '19 and yanked it out, it was very satisfying :D I used a rubber chair foot from Ace Hardware to plug the outlet on the intake tube (I got them to do the same on my '16 when I re-OEM'ed it for trade, so fixed two cars for $2.99, that's a bargain, hahahaha ...)

I'd like to tape over my firewall plug too, it's not very tight, maybe just a couple of strips of duct tape.
Duct tape is the answer. :thumbsup:

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
So how would you describe the change in sound? I don't really have a problem with the sound tube. I haven't found it particularly inconvenient when checking the oil but the tube itself does seem to clutter things up.
Sponsored