Sponsored

My convertible leaks in heavy rain

Rob Skully

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
like I posted ... they replaced a gasket. I checked the place where there use to be a problem where the wipers are. It seems that on the 2019’s they fixed the situation by putting a finer mesh screen so crap cant go down and clog the drain. We will not have that issue anymore because the Pony has it own huge garage now. Ours is not a daily driver so it wont see hardly any rain anymore either.
Rob ...
0CDC9BDA-1BE8-4F37-87A0-1B1CD86A25F4.jpeg
7131BB99-E417-4B60-BB15-00AB27F64FF9.jpeg
Sponsored

MontynPhilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Okay so here's my situation... 15 v6 convertible black on black.. it's in the shop now for the third time for water in the back seat... He told me that it is the drainage clogged and it's in the wheel well below the carpet here's the picture that he sent.. I don't know what to do I love this car but this is getting ridiculous.. as you can see that is the little mesh over the hole to stop anything from getting in there this is not cost me over $1,000... Does anybody have any remedies on how to fix this how to take the interior out so I can get to it or anyting?
IMG_33721_01.jpg

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Okay so here's my situation... 15 v6 convertible black on black.. it's in the shop now for the third time for water in the back seat... He told me that it is the drainage clogged and it's in the wheel well below the carpet here's the picture that he sent.. I don't know what to do I love this car but this is getting ridiculous.. as you can see that is the little mesh over the hole to stop anything from getting in there this is not cost me over $1,000... Does anybody have any remedies on how to fix this how to take the interior out so I can get to it or anyting?
IMG_33721_01.jpg
Can you see that plug/drain from under the car? Looks like it pushes out. Check under the car to see if it can be removed and cleaned.

gammer2019

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
IMG_33721_01.jpg
Hi, Can you tell me where in the car that picture was taken? rear 1/4 area? is this a top view of the area? Im looking for this as well. Thanks

gammer2019

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, Can you tell me where in the car that picture was taken? rear 1/4 area? is this a top view of the area? Im looking for this as well. Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
VertGal

VertGal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Convertible Guard Manual
IMG_33721_01.jpg
I feel your pain. Mine is a 2015 and I have had the car to the dealer multiple times for cleaning out the drains. I bought the extended warranty (thank you Flood Ford for the online option and to the posters here for telling me about it) and the drain cleanings have been covered under warranty. But I finally bought a half car cover and use it during the spring and fall when the most leaves and debris are falling off the trees.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I think the key is inside storage and/or car cover.. I read another post where a eco-boost COUPE had flooding and drainage problems. It's the state of our American Manufacturing processes and labor force. We live in the most advanced technological society in history, yet we cannot produce consistently high quality goods and services...
I switched from my convertible for multiple reasons not related to quality, but the many issues I had with quality control added to my decision to go to a coupe....

Mustang Kev

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kev
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Ecoboost Convertible
Same issue for me on my 2016 convertible. Lots of water collecting in the rear passenger (ie left) footwell and under the passenger seat when it rained. Poked around and found a couple of things worth registering:

1. Drain holes underneath, which can be cleared with a wire coathanger or similar - see picture. One on each side about a foot in from the rear wheel.

2. There is a flap of material attached to the outer fabric top, directly behind the rear quarter window, beside the back of the rear seat. Lift up the inner fabric top to get to it. In my case, on the leaking side, this flap was hanging around on the inside of the of the car and I could see that water had been coming in over it. The flap needs to be on the outside of the lower fabric hood lining so that it guides rainwater out and into the gap between the body panels and eventually out of the drain hole above. The picture shows it back in the right place.

I am hoping this has solved it... now waiting for the rain.
20200321_164341.jpg
Inked20200321_164605_LI.jpg

WT100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Virt
I'm having a similar issue on the passenger side but further back. So I hear sloshing but no water inside the car. Has anyone come up with a drawing of the drain system on these cars?

When I leave a carwash I can hear the one behind me draining so I know it's there and working but can't see it from the inside.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I'm having a similar issue on the passenger side but further back. So I hear sloshing but no water inside the car. Has anyone come up with a drawing of the drain system on these cars?

When I leave a carwash I can hear the one behind me draining so I know it's there and working but can't see it from the inside.
There are several other threads in the convertible section if you do a search. I would highly recommend not taking your convertible through a automated car wash, but washing it yourself either with a foam cannon and hose or even rinseless wash system. These cars do not do well in the car washes. I took my convertible through it once and had leakage because of the high pressure...

Sponsored

WT100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Virt
There are several other threads in the convertible section if you do a search. I would highly recommend not taking your convertible through a automated car wash, but washing it yourself either with a foam cannon and hose or even rinseless wash system. These cars do not do well in the car washes. I took my convertible through it once and had leakage because of the high pressure...
Thanks! I did find those other threads and working on their solutions now. The car wash I use is low pressure and has been fine for 3 years. I'm sure this will relate to leaves from my vert living outside. Just my reality. Thanks again.

Deleted member 35644

Don't know if this applies to the Mustang, but my 2011 Camaro convertible had some weird "bladder" behind the seat that collected rain water and drained it out of the body onto the ground. Several guys on the Camaro forum had issues with the bladder, and it leaked water from behind the seat and into the rear passenger floorboard. I don't know what Ford engineered behind the seat to deal with rain water that gets past the seals, but has the dealership looked back there for a possible issue?

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! I did find those other threads and working on their solutions now. The car wash I use is low pressure and has been fine for 3 years. I'm sure this will relate to leaves from my vert living outside. Just my reality. Thanks again.
no problem, yeah.. it's best to have it stored inside if possible

MontynPhilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6

So basically it's a drain plug in both rear quarters on the floor underneath the carpet and mine kept getting clogged with leaves so that's why the water wouldn't drain. The guys at the dealership just took my car but up cleaned it out. I was on my way

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Convertible Triple Yellow
I spent about an hour this morning cleaning and detailing my top including all the gaskets. You can see that the drainage system holes on the gaskets that run along the A-pillars are complex and ingenious. My car is only 16 months old but there was a fair amount of dirt and grime along and inside the gasket channels. I could imagine that after 3 years that buildup could be substantial enough to impede drainage. Also if any part of that gasket system is pinched or misaligned water could channel improperly and overflow into the interior.
After I was done we had a torrential downpour...after it passed I checked my interior -bone dry!
@DropTopBob I am trying to diagnose water in my passenger side that I am sure is coming from blocked drainage holes, any chance you could post a pic of where the ones are that you said are along the A pillars? Thanks!
Sponsored