OP

laregood24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
How pure was the e85 you put in? Was the tank nearly completely empty when switching to e85?
I've been running e85 in it for over a year, and tested the e85 a few times and every time it was at LEAST 85%
Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
So last week i blew my motor at just over 20k miles NA only the whole time. I was tuned by a less reputable company on e85 for over a year then switched to a much better company less than a month ago.

I had just put on a 2018 manifold took it out for a test drive and after 5 or 6 3rd gear pulls up to 7700 rpm the motor blew at 7200 rpm or so in 3rd. Sounded like a pinball in the motor for a second or 2 and it punched a hole in the bottom of the pan

Of course I towed it to the dealership and the preliminary observation is believed to have been a thrown rod. Seeing as my warranty is voided from the tune i didnt bother to have them tear the motor apart to avoid paying insane labor rates to find out the motor is blown anyway.

Has anyone heard of an NA gen 2 throwing a rod at 20k miles? Tuner also did base data logs and said the car seemed happy before i got the e85 tuned. So i finds it hard to believe it was running hot from leaning, i always watched my temps.

Im honestly going a little crazy trying to figure out how plenty of people are running around with 700hp+ and not blowing anything up for a long time. I didnt baby the car but i wasnt at the drag stip every weekend either.
It only takes seconds for the engine to grenade itself during a lean condition, and your coolant temps wouldn't necessarily be any different. Also, the damage may have occurred on your previous tune, and then the addition of the 18 manifold and new tune was the straw that broke the camels back. Got any logs you can post?

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Also, what injectors are you using?

OP
OP

laregood24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I actually do have some logs from when i got the second tune. I even was logging when it blew up i believe. Like i said though the tuner said she looked good on the base tune before i did anything else.

Now this is gonna sound crazy but i found the o ring from one of the factory injectors stuck in the oem manifold. What a mistake not checking the oem injectors before installing the new ones. Now would a double o ring cause a cylinder to run a little lean? Its been like that for well over a year before hand. I figure the widebands would account for anything like that anyway.

Also have lu47 injectors.

Last edited:

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Did you confirm the new injector actually has a double o ring on it? Worst case small vacuum leak and possible misfire at low throttle angles. Higher the vacuum behind the throttle blade the more attractive imperfect seals are to leaks.

What cylinder?

I wouldn't blame an engine on it though.

Post the logs , and the tune of you got it!
Wonder why those guys have such a rep for turning 5.0s inside out

Sponsored

OP
OP

laregood24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Did you confirm the new injector actually has a double o ring on it? Worst case small vacuum leak and possible misfire at low throttle angles. Higher the vacuum behind the throttle blade the more attractive imperfect seals are to leaks.

What cylinder?

I wouldn't blame an engine on it though.

Post the logs , and the tune of you got it!
Wonder why those guys have such a rep for turning 5.0s inside out
Well I had switched over to a lund tune about a month or so back. I never had misfires other than cold starts with the bama tune.

When i changed over to the 18 mani i noticed on the stock one there was a broken o ring around the injector port for cylinder 3 i think. I can post the logs later, especially the one i had with the 18 mani on.

And i dont want anyone to think im bad mouthing Lund or anything, which is why I was hesitant to post company names in the first place. They are great guys and great tuners working over at lund and i doubt it was them that caused this.

Last edited:

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What’s your plans going forward, gen 3 F150 coyote with the 18 GT manifold?

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
In regards to the injector, you will know for sure when the motor comes apart, if the cylinder that let go is the same one where the o-ring issue is. I'm surprised you were able to get the fuel rail to bolt back down properly. You mentioned in your first post that a "rod" put a hole in the oil pan- Did one of the rods actually break off and go through the pan? You need a fairly catastrophic failure for that to happen. Usually lean failures result in melted/ deformed pistons, broken ring lands, melted valves or maybe a bent rod, and the spark plug while be white as well as the top of the piston. .

When things are exploding and sending shrapnel every where, you either dropped something down in the cylinder when replacing the intake manifold, or maybe had a lubrication issue that caused a bearing to fail. Forged rods usually bend, not blow up.

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
No, I guess I will just come out and say the first tuner was Bama, and if you know anything about them they don't care to look at data logs and I never logged them cause the sct was annoying to use to say the least.
I can second having bad work from them too. I was helping my father with tuning his ecoboost mustang, after 15, YES 15 datalogs and tune revisions they couldn’t fix it from going into limp mode. We cut our loses and ordered a Lund tune and the very first tune was spot on. Sorry to hear about your engine, hope you get it figured out.

OP
OP

laregood24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
In regards to the injector, you will know for sure when the motor comes apart, if the cylinder that let go is the same one where the o-ring issue is. I'm surprised you were able to get the fuel rail to bolt back down properly. You mentioned in your first post that a "rod" put a hole in the oil pan- Did one of the rods actually break off and go through the pan? You need a fairly catastrophic failure for that to happen. Usually lean failures result in melted/ deformed pistons, broken ring lands, melted valves or maybe a bent rod, and the spark plug while be white as well as the top of the piston. .

When things are exploding and sending shrapnel every where, you either dropped something down in the cylinder when replacing the intake manifold, or maybe had a lubrication issue that caused a bearing to fail. Forged rods usually bend, not blow up.
The tech was pretty convinced it was parts of the rod in the pan and the piston actually blew back so hard it hit the spark plug and shattered it. But they never fully tore down the engine to see for sure yet cause I wasnt gonna pay 2 hours labor for that. Tbh the o ring was torn port the injectors go in on the manifols, so it may bot have even done anything.

Also i could not have dropped anything into the ports with the manifold off because there was nothing TO drop into them. There is no removeable parts when install the manifold. Even if i did, would it not be immediately apparent i had done so when i started the car? Also i did 5 or 6 wot pulls prior to anything happening.

Sponsored

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
OP
OP

laregood24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Here is the log of after the 2018 manifold was installed, if anyone is curious. Also I actually stopped logging before it blew up on the way back home cause I was idling for a while and figured it was good.

Attachments

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Hey op you have solved the story from what you posted.You said you was getting misfires codes on cold start up on the tune from bama.That sounds like that was tbe problem right their.Probably.after too many misfires you done some damage.I dont think the second tuner had anything to do with it.I would be willing to bet that you were getting detonation even though you were on e85.Bama should have not let you do wot passes while having misfires.
Sponsored