Wheel Split in Half

Nghtshd88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Premium
Have a set of Niche wheels on my 16' 5.0. Was driving down the highway and hit a moderate pothole in the left hand lane at night. Next I know tire pressure is out and I hear a pop. Just got brand new Nittos. On further inspection the wheel is literally in two pieces on the inside... really makes me wonder about the quality now. Never had this happen and have had some bad hits. Nor was the inside ever repaired.
20190621_214305.jpg
20190621_214301.jpg
Sponsored

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Seen plenty of failures of cast wheels due to pot holes, XXR's, Varrstoens, Rotas, etc. Lower tensile strength from non-flowformed cast wheels can/will fail at a lower impact threshold. Not saying all cast wheels are unsafe, because a large majority of affordable aftermarket wheels are cast, non-flowformed, but failures will be more common. Pot holes love to crack wheels.

I always purchase flowformed wheels at the minimum - they are super affordable from the likes of LMR. On average a 20% - 30% increase in tensile strength can be seen on various parts of the wheel over a conventional cast wheel, with increased shock resistance.

OP
OP
Nghtshd88

Nghtshd88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Premium
I always purchase flowformed wheels at the minimum - they are super affordable from the likes of LMR. On average a 20% - 30% increase in tensile strength can be seen on various parts of the wheel over a conventional cast wheel, with increased shock resistance.
Guess Niche isn't then? I also have a set of Avant Garde. Not sure if they are?

Last edited:

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Guess Niche isn't then? I also have a set of Avany Garde. Not sure if they are?
No, I don't believe Niche uses flow formed wheels. If they are, it will say so in their description, and usually an increase in price will follow. Especially for popular brands.

Sponsored

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
Some Niche wheels are flow formed..
You're lucky you didn't wreck your car. That could have been bad.

What size tire were you running?

OP
OP
Nghtshd88

Nghtshd88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Premium
Some Niche wheels are flow formed..
You're lucky you didn't wreck your car. That could have been bad.

What size tire were you running?
They should warranty it but not sure. Will check to see if they are. Would love to know of the Avant Garde set I have is because I dont feel like going through this again. Wasnt even a bad hole and im on the stock suspension so im afraid to put a stiffer one on.

Front 265/35/20

The rears have solid.. 285/35/30

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
They should warranty it but not sure. Will check to see if they are. Would love to know of the Avant Garde set I have is because I dont feel like going through this again. Wasnt even a bad hole and im on the stock suspension so im afraid to put a stiffer one on.

Front 265/35/20

The rears have solid.. 285/35/30
Yeah, these 35 series tires are so low profile. I run the 285/35 and 305/35 and honestly I hate how low profile they are. They look so good though. lol

It will be interesting to see if they warranty it.

I also believe some Avant Grande wheels are flow form. Depends on the model.

OP
OP
Nghtshd88

Nghtshd88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Premium
The back side, don't think ill get lucky with a warranty replacement Monday. Probably finish it off and save the new Nitto then sell the set. Is there a better option then flow formed?
20190622_145804.jpg

Last edited:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think you're going to get a warranty coverage for it unless you're really lucky. A pot hole isn't really something they should cover, a regular dip in the road maybe, but not a deep pot hole.

If you want even better than flow formed, you're looking at forged sets instead, but those are going to be a lot pricier.

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
^^^On a highway, there won't be major potholes. Usually small dips and cracks, etc. But a major pothole>?...No. Not on a major highway. If there was, I'd be filing a claim with the state. For a pothole to cause that much damage to a wheel on a well traveled highway, means every car behind him would have had major damage as well.

I don't think it was the road, but instead a defective wheel.

OP
OP
Nghtshd88

Nghtshd88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Premium
I don't think you're going to get a warranty coverage for it unless you're really lucky. A pot hole isn't really something they should cover, a regular dip in the road maybe, but not a deep pot hole.

If you want even better than flow formed, you're looking at forged sets instead, but those are going to be a lot pricier.
The Avant Gardes are actually Rotary Forged. The Niche are Cast Monoblock. Just looking at the crack I feel it is easily breakable.

^^^On a highway, there won't be major potholes. Usually small dips and cracks, etc. But a major pothole>?...No. Not on a major highway. If there was, I'd be filing a claim with the state.
Yea I need to look into that..

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
The Avant Gardes are actually Rotary Forged. The Niche are Cast Monoblock. Just looking at the crack I feel it is easily breakable.
It was just to answer your question of there was something better than flow formed.

And I missed that it was on a highway, if it is a serious bump and not a defective wheel (try to drive back and get pictures of the spot if you can, that would help with your warranty claim), definitely follow the other tip about claiming with the state (or local municipality charged with maintaining that section).

HexaNerva

EL 5OH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
From their website: Under normal and reasonable use, wheels produced by Niche Wheels are warranted against STRUCTURAL DEFECT in material as long as the ORIGINAL owner/purchaser owns the wheels.

Niche Wheels are warranted against defect in workmanship or materials to the ORIGINAL owner/purchaser for a period of one year from the date of purchase.

I had my Niche wheels crack too. Lesson learned, get forged wheels lol.
Sponsored