Boost leak ("trumpet" noise) after CVF pipes and IC Upgrade

OP
OP
whatdoyoufeedit?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Update: Did more diag today to narrow this down, at first it sounded like it was coming from the passenger side but I had a friend stand outside the car in a parking lot and it seems like the noise is coming from the bumper area. I also took the Boomba BOV spacer out and whilst it did not stop the noise the car is pulling a lot harder. Passenger side is running the lower stock coupler (which I know is good) so that leaves the Diverter valve, driver's side coupler, then the intercooler itself. The only thing that somewhat raised eyebrows was a crack around a screw hole on the stock diverter valve; I don't think that should cause an issue as there is a metal sleeve there and it's not really a sealing point (but I could be wrong). I will go ahead and re-check the driver's side lower coupler tomorrow, re-check map sensor o-ring, and get the aftermarket diverter valve ordered. I hate to say it but if these things don't fix it I'm going to start suspecting I got a defective IC. :frown:
Sponsored

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
For the crack, put some blutak or such on the crack and rev it and see what happens, if its blown off, then thats a leak.

Otherwise soapy water on all areas where it might leak and have the friend look for bubbles.

OP
OP
whatdoyoufeedit?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Okay, so I finally got it sorted out and first and foremost thank you @cvf-jason for working with me on this! The main issue(s) were I had the cold side on upside down (my incompetence probably due to sleep deprivation), the lower coldside coupler had a nasty kink/angle causing the horrible harmonics and trumpet noise, and last but not least the t-bolt clamp was too large (or just the wrong type of clamp all together) to seal the driver's side lower cold pipe coupler and did not seal the cold side of the intercooler at all. I went to the local Advance Auto Parts and bought a normal clamp(s) (reusing the factory hose cut protectors) to seal couplers where the t-bolts failed to seal. The car now drives excellent and seems quieter than ever before and paired with the new ATM IC I can't seem to heatsoak the thing .:beer: The quality and price of the CVF kit (imo looks way better than the more expensive CPE stuff) is amazing however imho improvements can be made by:

• Offering a longer coupler (had to reuse the stock lower coupler which works fine) on the hot side (for 18+ EB S550s)
  • Maybe not getting rid of the T-bolt clamps but offering constant tension clamps (picture attached below) as an option as T-bolt clamps tend to oblong or angle in certain scenarios
s-l1600.jpg

As for the intercooler it is fine (definitely not defective) and absolutely lives up to expectations, I cannot seem to heatsoak the thing and charge temps are much cooler.:beer: Performance feels about the same as stock minus the heatsoak with slight improvements in consistency throughout the powerband. It was well worth the headache of installing these 2 excellent products and I will post pictures of the install within the weekend as I have been busy at work and at the gym. :crazy:

Akingn88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Arthur
Vehicle(s)
2018 ford mustang ecoboost premium PP
I'm running this exact setup, CVF charge pipes, ATM IC, and Boomba BOV with zero issues. Make sure to recheck your couplers are fully on, clamps are tight, and the sensor that goes into the IC near the cold side outlet has the o-ring on it.

Are you getting alternator whine through your car speakers? I am after installing the boomba bpv.

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
Are you getting alternator whine through your car speakers? I am after installing the boomba bpv.
No I'm not. You might look at putting a choke coil on the solenoid power leads and see if that helps.

Akingn88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Arthur
Vehicle(s)
2018 ford mustang ecoboost premium PP
No I'm not. You might look at putting a choke coil on the solenoid power leads and see if that helps.

Ok thank you I will try that i just ordered a pack online should be here on Monday. I appreciate your advice.
Sponsored