Sponsored

Curious: What are you paying for 10qt Synthetic Oil Change?

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
A plastic non-reusable oil drain plug on a motor that nice...Ford wtf are your engineers doing over there..helping the plastics recycler industry.
You post this nonsense about being non-reusable literally directly under my post where I say I have re-used it twice already. Btw - you're going to loose your mind, but.... on 18+ the oil pan is plastic (composite) as well !!! OMG !!! We're all going to die !

Btw - F-150 Eco has the same plug. There's literally tens of thousands of engines out there using it.
Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Are you 2018+ owners replacing the plastic drain plug each time? Local dealer says they replace it with each change (only $3.50 part). I’ve been using a Mityvac oil extractor for the last several years on pretty much everything (truck, SUV, GTI, M3, snowblower, mower), but I can’t get an extractor tube down the dipstick tube or filler. I safety wired the plastic plug and was hoping to never have to take it off. LOL
I have 26,xxx miles on my 2018 GT and I have changed oil on the car 4 times. I changed the plastic drain plug on my third oil change out of caution. I still have the old drain plug as it looks perfectly usable. The O-ring is not flat from use and the integrity of the drain plug still seems fine. It certainly doesn't hurt to change it every oil change due to the low cost of the plug but it is not necessary from what I can tell.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have 26,xxx miles on my 2018 GT and I have changed oil on the car 4 times. I changed the plastic drain plug on my third oil change out of caution. I still have the old drain plug as it looks perfectly usable. The O-ring is not flat from use and the integrity of the drain plug still seems fine. It certainly doesn't hurt to change it every oil change due to the low cost of the plug but it is not necessary from what I can tell.
There is no reason why you can't use the plastic plug several times, as long as no locking tabs have been broken off. The most important part is the O-ring. Always check the garage floor after sitting for a day, to see if there's any drips. If it starts to get flat, then just get a whole new plug. The reason for this, is not only does the O-ring flatten over time, but each time you pry back the locking tabs for removal, they will get weaker and brittle over time. I would say about every 3rd or 4th oil change, it's a good idea to simply replace the whole plug.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
You post this nonsense about being non-reusable literally directly under my post where I say I have re-used it twice already. Btw - you're going to loose your mind, but.... on 18+ the oil pan is plastic (composite) as well !!! OMG !!! We're all going to die !

Btw - F-150 Eco has the same plug. There's literally tens of thousands of engines out there using it.
You funny there but not that worried here..someone said the dealer replaces them at oil changes so ..well like I said ford could do better not that much savings in weight to skimp on a pan and plug

Last edited:

lacartus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Kona Blue PP 10R80 Magneride Active exhaust
It’s good to hear folks are re-using the plug. I also heard the above from an experienced tech at the local dealer: check the tabs for weakness/fracture and check that the o-ring sticks out enough to form a seal (not flat). I had one free oil change from the dealer and walked around the back to the bay (open to the lot) and saw a tech cutting the safety wire off the plug. He said usually one of the young guys does the oil changes, but when they saw the safety wire, he said he would do this one. He wrenches for some of the local road racers. Good guy, he was happy to talk about the plug, typewriter sound, and some other things. Although, he said I’d have to re-safety wire the plug myself. :) The inexperienced guys doing something wrong (8 quarts, cross-thread, etc.) is what scares me the most about routine maintenance at dealers.

I bought a new plug for the day I need to replace mine.

Sponsored

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
I have new 19 GT, and I'm curious what people are paying (and where) for a full synthetic oil change? I just brought my Mustang into a local Ford dealer for lowering springs and alignment and asked about what they charged. They said, "about $120" bur we not sure/exact. The car only has 200 miles on it, so I'm in rush, but curious.

I'm coming from a lifted Wrangler, which I changed the oil. Easy: no lifting the Jeep, 6 qt Mobil 1 from Walmart (sometimes less than $30 for the 5 qt jug!) and a quick change cartridge filter on the top of the Pentastar V6. So easy and cheap, I could get it done $40-45). But this will be a different animal . . .

Thanks
The dealer doesn't know what they charge for an oil change?! Have they never done one before? I think I would have found someone who worked on Fords for the lowering springs. :D

OP
OP
18usc371

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 - Track Package - G0628
Well the longer version of the story is I had a long discussion with two mechanics there who work on their GTs, GT 350s and GT 350Rs. We had a long discussion about suspensions, springs, etc. so they knew what they were doing.

On the way out, when I was paying for the work, I asked casually what they charge for an oil change. This person was more of a service “concierge” type person not a mechanic. That’s where the 120 was coming from. I just paid for the springs and left.

All is well, and I like the springs. But I get what you’re saying!

PUNISHER7772

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MUSTANG GT PP
About $50. 2 jugs of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-20 and Mobil 1 filter from Walmart. My boy can change it for free when it's slow at his work.
Sponsored