Sponsored

Spare track wheels/tires options for my R

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Given (1) uneven wear on fronts vs rears and R vs L side (2) multi - day events (3) not having a touchless machine near a track to mount spare tires during a track session (4) inability to dial in exactly when Cup 2's are going to chord because the outside half goes completely slick with no wear indicators around 50% wear, I'm finding it to be a major headach guessing and not prematurely changing tires on my 17 R before track events, particularly ones further away and across multiple days. I've chorded half way through 2 events in 2 years now and getting annoyed. So, I'm looking for options and what others are doing?

First off, I found a local set of R oem carbon wheels with 6k street miles (presumably excellent shape wheels) and 50% tread Cup 2's asking for $6,000. This seems like a pretty solid deal right off the bat, but it drives me nuts to spend that much on wheels period (I know what silly retail price is, but also that has come down and new sets seem to be closer to $10k-$12k). A plus is they will probably hold their value quite well for another 5-6 years and can be resold without much (any?) loss? It would also let me bring the full set in the car (1 in trunk, 2 in back, 1 in passenger side) and simply swap tires (usually front or rear pairs) as they chord and are actually used up, and then it's more liesurely to drop worn wheels with new tires at the dealer to mount vs going there all the damn time.

I'm not against getting aftermarket wheels, but they seem too expensive and depreciate a lot and I can't just add an aftermarket wheel with my oem R wheels and would have to swap the whole set. Perhaps a set of oem GT350 base wheels, but will they fit the R right with existing lug nuts or spacers/mods? I believe they are a more narrow wheel.

Otherwise, I'm stuck just guessing when tires need to be changed, either changing them out prematurely or guessing wrong and ruining track events when I chord, and regardless this is a lot of trip schlepping in a couple wheels and tires to mount as fronts and rears wear quite differently (I have camber plates on front at -3, driver front seems to last 4 or 5 days if I rotate front wheels, passenger front 5-6 days, and rears seem to last 8-10 days is my best guess).

Thoughts on the spare set of R wheels, vs oem gt350 wheels vs some other aftermarket option? I want to stick with Cup 2 tires or slicks. Thanks!
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
@50 Deep

If you don't want to run OEM CF wheels, have a look at the signature fully forged wheels.

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
@50 Deep

If you don't want to run OEM CF wheels, have a look at the signature fully forged wheels.
Are those not pushing $3k or more shipped for just the wheels? I find it frustrating these sponsors don’t just put the price in their threads. I have a hard time justifying that when $1200 gets stock gt350 rims. For $3k and a sizeable depreciation I’m leaning toward ponying up for the spare cf wheels.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Are those not pushing $3k or more shipped for just the wheels? I find it frustrating these sponsors don’t just put the price in their threads. I have a hard time justifying that when $1200 gets stock gt350 rims. For $3k and a sizeable depreciation I’m leaning toward ponying up for the spare cf wheels.
yes they are. They are the cheapest of the fully forged wheels. If you are tracking your car, don't go cheap.

yes, 6k for a set of CF wheels is a no brainer.

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
It's against forum rules to post the prices in those threads. Just PM the sponsors and they will get back to you quickly. I agree with Tom that $6000.00 for a set of OEM CF wheels is a no brainer, but it also seems pretty reasonable to me to get a complete set of aftermarket forged aluminum wheels for less than the cost of one new CF wheel. can't go wrong either way.

I wouldn't put regular GT350 wheels on the corners of your R. I suspect you would really notice the extra weight out there and the handling will be different.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Signature has prices on their website too. Considering their fully forged, they're quite reasonably priced and are seriously well built.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Weight is everything. I just drove JR357 (which is a base R) and compared it to HR871 (electronics package R). Night and day in how it handles, accelerates, and feels. Don't throw cheaper and heavier wheels on your R. Either get the forged signatures or the OEM CF wheels. This is not a poor man's hobby.

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone know if the R cf wheels are serialized, or if there is any way for ford to know which vehicle they originally came with?

Shelby Nick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
None
My car came with an extra set of wheels. They are the P51’s, 11 inch front 11 1/2 in the rear. Very light, trackable maybe. I run the stock 350 tires on them for the street. The car sits a little higher and is more manageable around town. For the track, I haul my CF wheels there and change them out. I made a platform for the rear so I could fit three in the back and one in the trunk. Good luck with your situation!

E2B56CB0-04D2-41AC-892E-8DBFA3E567D3.jpeg
CAF32227-78EB-45BF-9FC0-115DAB455F7D.jpeg
935A5E47-B52B-4D2B-BDCE-A73EDC8D0CAA.jpeg

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Mike,

As stated earlier we can’t post pricing per the forum rules. I am probably one of the most approachable guys you will ever meet. If you want to talk shop, give me a call whenever.

OEM Carbon wheels are awesome. Light strong, stiff, and good looking. The issue is they have a lack of caliper clearance and known to have debris get caught between the caliper/barrel. End result is scratching to the caliper and the ceramic coating. If you are going to invest in another set of wheels I would want something that eliminates that concern.

Second issue is the cost of replacement. Getting a used set for 6k is not a bad deal, but should you ever need to replace one due to an incident on track or from tire swaps they are roughly $4000-$6000 a wheel through Ford. There won’t always be one carbon wheel available used to purchase as a replacement, and it won’t be cheap.

Our Signature setup will double the OEM caliper clearance. If you order more than one set of wheels at a time I can almost get you two sets of wheels for close to the 6k mark. Have your dry and wet sets ready for action, a lower cost of replacement and within 3 lbs of your carbon wheels. Not to mention rotatable at all 4 corners so you can mitigate your tire wear concerns.

We have tons of ability to build you exactly what you need with a 3 year structural warranty that includes track use. Our wheels come with no asterisk, doubts, or maybes as to their track prowess and abilities. I hope we get the chance to prove it to you.

0D775D9C-78D4-4EE9-890D-159AC3007B60.jpeg
0E264D38-ABA4-4F4B-927F-89A3879A90BF.jpeg

Sponsored

Onyx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R, Acura RDX
Terrance is one of the easiest guys to talk to, I encourage you to give him a call. I was looking for a spare set for my carbons and decided to Order the Track Series SV502 wheels in GT350R spec. The wheels are super light, look great, fair priced and fully forged. You cant go wrong with Signature Wheels, I have seen the wheels in person and the quality is top notch. Get in touch with Terrance you wont regret it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mike,

As stated earlier we can’t post pricing per the forum rules. I am probably one of the most approachable guys you will ever meet. If you want to talk shop, give me a call whenever.

OEM Carbon wheels are awesome. Light strong, stiff, and good looking. The issue is they have a lack of caliper clearance and known to have debris get caught between the caliper/barrel. End result is scratching to the caliper and the ceramic coating. If you are going to invest in another set of wheels I would want something that eliminates that concern.

Second issue is the cost of replacement. Getting a used set for 6k is not a bad deal, but should you ever need to replace one due to an incident on track or from tire swaps they are roughly $4000-$6000 a wheel through Ford. There won’t always be one carbon wheel available used to purchase as a replacement, and it won’t be cheap.

Our Signature setup will double the OEM caliper clearance. If you order more than one set of wheels at a time I can almost get you two sets of wheels for close to the 6k mark. Have your dry and wet sets ready for action, a lower cost of replacement and within 3 lbs of your carbon wheels. Not to mention rotatable at all 4 corners so you can mitigate your tire wear concerns.

We have tons of ability to build you exactly what you need with a 3 year structural warranty that includes track use. Our wheels come with no asterisk, doubts, or maybes as to their track prowess and abilities. I hope we get the chance to prove it to you.
Thank you for posting. I didn't realize you were within 3lbs of the CF wheels, that is very impressive. Also, I certainly agree about the caliper/barrel clearance, the tops of my calipers are scuffed up and one wheel has a reasonable but very noticeable groove from a rock getting stuck.

One consideration, and the reason for my question above, is that I have a 5 year wheel and tire warranty on my R, so I'm wondering if the CF wheels are serialized to the original car -- ie as time goes on and I swap tires randomly I won't even know which tire came with my car and which was a spare, and if any of the wheels have something happen to them in the next 3.5 years, if my warranty will cover any/all of them or only the exact 4 that originally came with the car. If there is a serial on the CF wheels or some identifier, I think the answer is clear, otherwise I don't know how myself or Ford would know which is which.

I'm going to check the carbon wheels out in person in a few days, but will send you a PM as well to discuss pricing/options. Thanks for clarification on pricing restrictions on this page. I'm far from a wheel expert but realize the light weight wheels make the R so great on the track.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
My car came with an extra set of wheels. They are the P51’s, 11 inch front 11 1/2 in the rear. Very light, trackable maybe. I run the stock 350 tires on them for the street. The car sits a little higher and is more manageable around town. For the track, I haul my CF wheels there and change them out. I made a platform for the rear so I could fit three in the back and one in the trunk. Good luck with your situation!

E2B56CB0-04D2-41AC-892E-8DBFA3E567D3.jpeg
CAF32227-78EB-45BF-9FC0-115DAB455F7D.jpeg
935A5E47-B52B-4D2B-BDCE-A73EDC8D0CAA.jpeg
Careful with those P51 rims with any seriously sticky rubber (PSC2, RE71R, NT01, slicks, etc). Check them often for cracks if you run them on track because I have seen two failures due to cracking of the spokes. In one instance the wheel separated from the car and the other was caught in time before it became catastrophic.

OP, I would jump on those CF rims and half used PSC2’s for $6k.

Shelby Nick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
None
Not good, thanks for the info! They are for street use only. I run the carbon fiber wheels and PSC2’s on the track!

Reactions: TDC

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I love these wheel and tire threads. The topics just repeat themselves into eternity
Sponsored