Sponsored

Active Noise Control + Subwoofer = Problems

winningaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Hey guys,
So as you probably know already, the new 2.3 liter stock Ecoboost's just don't make enough noise for ford and for most of us, so ford put in a new active noise control which uses the cars sound system to enhance the sound of the engine. If you didn't know about it, read up on it here:

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/1...ise-via-stereo-hello-active-noise-control.htm

Anyways, I decided to put a 12 inch sub in my car, and all was well until I turned the engine on. Whenever the sub is on and connected, a very loud rumbling occurs when the engine is on in the rpm range of 1000-2000. The sound's volume stays the same when the volume is changed, however the frequency of the rumbling directly correlates with engine rpms. The rumbling stops when a door is opened or when the engine is turned off. This information allowed me to pinpoint the problem to the car's Active Noise Control system (ANC).

So, with this information, I did some more research on how to disconnect the ANC, and I discovered the fuse 27 can be disconnected to stop providing power to the supposed amp that powers this rumbling. Here's where I found that info:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/24/ford-mustang-ecoboost-fake-engine-soundtrack/

So, I proceeded to disconnect fuse 27. After it was disconnected, nothing changed: the sub still rumbled, stopped rumbling when i opened the door, and rumbled in the same rpm ranges. I even disconnected the fuse that runs to my cars stock sub amp as well, and nothing changed. Even music still played from the cars stock subs.

Now I have no idea to stop my car from sounding extremely obnoxious while driving it. So if anyone could help me solve this problem, I would greatly appreciate it.
Sponsored

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
disconnect the actual mic instead of the fuse, see if that works

OP
OP

winningaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Oops, I forgot to mention that, I was originally going to disconnected the mic but I couldn't figure out where it was... I looked both online and in my manual. If you know where it is, that would be great. Thanks for the reply though.

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport

Xtang22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Ecoboost
I just went thru this problem as well. I can tell you with 100% confidence that the mic is the problem. The mic is a round black button looking item about 2" from the back window on the headliner. The headliner is held in place with two magnets and easy to get low enough to disconnect the lead to the mic.

Took me all of 5 minutes and now time to enjoy some serious bass!

Sponsored

Safire149

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost DIB
Like xtang22 said, you need to disconnect the mic. Just pull the headliner down and disconnect the rear mic. That will fix the sub problem.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Does any one know where the mike is, on the convertible?

detailz03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
77 Corvette Black W/Flames
Wow that's awesome.

VegasDongr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Convert Eco Premium
found the "Active Noise Control" mic on the convertible

Does any one know where the mike is, on the convertible?
Picked up a 2016 Ecoboost Premium Convertible with the Shaker 500 system. Sounded....umm, well, bad. Desperately needed some upgraded bass......at a minimum. There weren't many affordable plug-in-play options for the '16 Convert, so I went another direction. I added a pair of 10" Pioneer subs (TSW261S4 firing up) to an off-the-shelf $40 prefab box designed for Jeeps (Amazon). Then added 2-farad cap, Fosgate Prime (R500X1D) amp, an LOC from the passenger rear speaker and sure enough; I had that engine rumble coming through the 10s. Is was really bad/obnoxious from about 900 RPM to about 1900 RPM.

After reading this forum; I found the "Active Noise Control" mic in the map light panel and simply unplugged it. A few seconds of testing with it unplugged and no engine rumbling through the subs. A quick re-connect brought back the rumble. FOUND IT!

If you gently pull down the 'map light box' (near the rear-view mirror); look left of center for a black plastic 'box'. Its about the size of a postage stamp and about 3/8" thick. It'll have a simple and tiny positive/negative harness plug that is separated from the other wiring harnesses. Simply unplug, slip in back into place, and put the map light box back.

Thanks to the forum for the help and byw, this upgrade really fixed the short-comings of the Shaker 500 system.

Vegas Don

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast

Sponsored

chriseco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 silver 6spd base ecoboost
go to where there very rear of your headliner is towards the rear window gentle pull down the headliner the only thing holding it up in that section are 2 magnets located about 16 inches or so from the sides and the mic is directly in the middle very easy to see disconnect it (u can just lay it there it doesn't make any noise or really move around) gentle push the headliner back up and u will hear the magnet re attach

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Picked up a 2016 Ecoboost Premium Convertible with the Shaker 500 system. Sounded....umm, well, bad. Desperately needed some upgraded bass......at a minimum. There weren't many affordable plug-in-play options for the '16 Convert, so I went another direction. I added a pair of 10" Pioneer subs (TSW261S4 firing up) to an off-the-shelf $40 prefab box designed for Jeeps (Amazon). Then added 2-farad cap, Fosgate Prime (R500X1D) amp, an LOC from the passenger rear speaker and sure enough; I had that engine rumble coming through the 10s. Is was really bad/obnoxious from about 900 RPM to about 1900 RPM.

After reading this forum; I found the "Active Noise Control" mic in the map light panel and simply unplugged it. A few seconds of testing with it unplugged and no engine rumbling through the subs. A quick re-connect brought back the rumble. FOUND IT!

If you gently pull down the 'map light box' (near the rear-view mirror); look left of center for a black plastic 'box'. Its about the size of a postage stamp and about 3/8" thick. It'll have a simple and tiny positive/negative harness plug that is separated from the other wiring harnesses. Simply unplug, slip in back into place, and put the map light box back.

Thanks to the forum for the help and byw, this upgrade really fixed the short-comings of the Shaker 500 system.

Vegas Don
That is also where the hands free microphone is at too. Make sure your voice control still works.

kdondeck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
burger
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost mustang convertible
found the "Active Noise Control" mic on the convertible

Vegas Don
yeah just confirmed it i had to just cut the red wire couldn’t find a way to unplug it like the mustangs who have it in the headliner. much sub is working fine now. Thank y’all !