Sponsored

Ford Mustang Twitter Horsepower Reveal

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
The GT500KR was not the typical post-title Shelby American car, it was a joint Ford-Shelby American car. Ford SVT and Ford Racing engineers worked on the car with Shelby American. Ford revealed the car, distributed the press materials and marketed the car. Who arranged the Knight Rider cameo? Ford did.

Let me reference my original point, The GT500KR is the perfect opportunity for Ford to flex its capability to dominate the modern day pony car wars. Highest HP with the fastest street, strip and track times of any street legal pony car to-date. Thus building on the "King of the Road" heritage.

Like any Shelby, Ford will need to obtain licensing through Shelby American. That is if Shelby American does not approach Ford like they did for the 2008 model.
I would suggest that the 2008/2009 GT500KR's (1723 cars) were the most over priced Mustang of all time with an MSRP of $80,000 and that was echoed by many of my car buddies along with most of the automotive press at the time.

Back in 2008 and 2009 I had a couple of GT500 coupes and if I recall the MSRP for these cars was ~$44,000 which included the gas guzzler tax of $1300.

It was hard to imagine a ~$35,000 premium for an additional 40 HP gain, a short throw shifter, ungraded wheels and a few suspension mods.

History has shown that the 2008/2009 GT500KR's were grossly over priced and that many Mustang enthusiasts unfortunately took a terrible financial loss when purchasing these cars.

With that being the case I would think that Ford will think long and hard about endorsing another GT500KR launch with SA.

:wink:

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
This is the type of thing people who can't afford it usually say

I notice this a lot with the new Supra... someone who certainly can afford it will give their opinion on it, then someone who can't afford it comes in to say that the naysayer can't afford it

Either way, it's a pathetic scapegoat. You don't have to be able to afford a haunted house to say it's haunted
I'm far from the person that couldn't afford it.
Most people that can afford this aren't complaining about the power.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I'm far from the person that couldn't afford it.
Most people that can afford this aren't complaining about the power.
Most of the guys that have the high end boosted GTs. Have invested GT500 money. Different strokes.

Sponsored

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
Most of the guys that have the high end boosted GTs. Have invested GT500 money. Different strokes.
Fair enough. I just don't see how people can complain about the horsepower. Demon claims 8xx or whatever and can't get them to run 9's stock except for the one pass they have.
Ford claims mid 10's and im sure with 760 crank and launch control with the DCT it's a very respectable number.

VooDoo387R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R & 2020 GT500
I'm buying one and I'm beyond happy with the numbers. I don't care about the Redeye or Demon. Not to mention that the GT500 looks so much better. But to each their own, some people will just never be satisfied no matter what. My GT350R doesn't have the most HP, but I don't care cause it's an amazing machine to drive. Just like the GT500 will be as well.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I'm buying one and I'm beyond happy with the numbers. I don't care about the Redeye or Demon. Not to mention that the GT500 looks so much better. But to each their own, some people will just never be satisfied no matter what. My GT350R doesn't have the most HP, but I don't care cause it's an amazing machine to drive. Just like the GT500 will be as well.
And this is the sentiment that most people can't understand.

RWDNUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Leadfoot Gray GT350R
Took the words right out of my mouth.....can't wait for mine to arrive. Well said VooDoo387R!

Sponsored

chill66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT500
Took the words right out of my mouth.....can't wait for mine to arrive. Well said VooDoo387R!
All I can say is... ditto! I'm ready to order!

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Fair enough. I just don't see how people can complain about the horsepower. Demon claims 8xx or whatever and can't get them to run 9's stock except for the one pass they have.
Ford claims mid 10's and im sure with 760 crank and launch control with the DCT it's a very respectable number.
It's because you're only seeing once piece of the puzzle...

We've known about this car for 4 years. It was officially confirmed a year and a half ago. It was revealed over half a year ago. It still won't be available for another half a year. And for all that waiting, what did we get?

...A car that'll be outhandled by the ZL1 1LE, outpowered by the Redeye, outpriced by both cars, and outenjoyed by its predecessor, the GT350... and out-Everything'd by the Z/28 that we'll likely see within a year of the GT500 hitting dealerships

It's not just that it's not enough power, it's that it's not enough wow factor, especially for how long we had to wait

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
760 is a lot of power. Anyone saying otherwise is just being silly. Also were talking STOCK. Who knows how much is on the table........Bloody O you do not even have to other things...I'm sure there will be bigger TB's you could port and polish the blower...smaller pulley...the platform is what matters and how it was done.

My GT350 makes 525 on the corn, 505 on 93 give or take...who cares!??! It's a blast to drive and it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. That is what matters. If I want more, I can go and add more and still have a solid platform.

I'm happy Ford built the new GT500. It's been since the 60's since both were available at the same time. (No I was not driving then but that is what books are for !) So it's great that I am around and can drive in these times. I cannot wait till they hit the streets, and who knows..maybe in 2022 I'll be ready to buy.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
It's because you're only seeing once piece of the puzzle...

We've known about this car for 4 years. It was officially confirmed a year and a half ago. It was revealed over half a year ago. It still won't be available for another half a year. And for all that waiting, what did we get?

...A car that'll be outhandled by the ZL1 1LE, outpowered by the Redeye, outpriced by both cars, and outenjoyed by its predecessor, the GT350... and out-Everything'd by the Z/28 that we'll likely see within a year of the GT500 hitting dealerships

It's not just that it's not enough power, it's that it's not enough wow factor, especially for how long we had to wait
So how could you know all of this if you never driven the car ? You are assuming. You are basing your thoughts from opinions. There was a saying my chief use to tell me about assumptions. He always said it..Lol it still brings a smile to m face when I think on it. But yeah....assumptions and opinions.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
What made the previous GT500 so great was that it was SO EXTRA that it grossly outdid all it's competitors, fended them off for about 3 years, and caused the Hellcat to even be DELAYED by 2 years because it was SO much power. THAT was wow factor
What made the GT350 so great was that it was a car with a total focus on the experience... a segment-first flat plane crank V8, completely overhauled suspension, massive brakes with an innovative sliding-pin 2 piece rotor design and monoblock calipers all around with staggered piston bore diameters, and carbon-fiber wheels

And the GT500? A bunch of recycled GT350 parts with slight tweaks, the same engine with a less exotic crank and a supercharger, an outsourced transmission that's rated for 660ft lbs, and a 5 year old design. It's stale and it's not even out yet. And on the one opportunity it had to shine; the horsepower rating; it dropped the ball.

So how could you know all of this if you never driven the car ? You are assuming. You are basing your thoughts from opinions. There was a saying my chief use to tell me about assumptions. He always said it..Lol it still brings a smile to m face when I think on it. But yeah....assumptions and opinions.
They aren't assumptions. The Zl1 1LE already outhandles the GT350R, it IS outpowered by the Redeye, and it is less focused on driver experience than the GT350. The ONLY thing you could consider an "assumption" would more accurately be considered speculation, but if you really don't think the Z/28 is going to be a better all around car than the GT500... well, I'm sorry you're so blind in your fanboyism
Sponsored