Sponsored

Crankshaft snout snapped

ramirj2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium, 2003 350z, 1978 280z
Had a non seated ati 20% balancer take out oil pump gears on a buddys car. 2018 GT A10, 3.0 whipple, 10 rib kit. When the balancer was originally installed anti seize was applied on the crank snout and the hub, arp bolt used torqued to 110ft lbs. Sucks but atleast it didnt snap off the crank snout. Those ATI balancers are real touchy, Im hesitant to do an 8 rib on my car now.
I broke mine and bought an 8 rib to overdrive my Whipple now that I have better intarnalls.
I’ll be just extra careful honning to interference specs and torque it properly.
Also bought an install tool to do it properly
Sponsored

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
I'm curious how some of these are being installed. I keep hearing "I torqued it to spec" or to 110ft. lbs or whatever, but that doesn't mean that the balancer was seated fully before throwing on the bolt and using the torque wrench. When I installed my ATI, I used an installation tool that I got from Beefcake that inserted a threaded rod and had a big threaded sleeve that was used to pull the balancer on. You could feel it when the balancer seated because the amount of torque it took to keep tightening that sleeve got extremely high. In other words, it suddenly got really hard to tighten further and you could tell it wouldn't go on any more. I now have 30k miles on that setup with a whipple and no issues. I highly recommend picking up a proper install tool if you are going to use an aftermarket balancer. Using an installation bolt to pull it on, then switching to the normal bolt for the rest of the way is just prone to too many mistakes. Bottoming out the install bolt, or not seating all the way could both lead to crank snout failure.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
I'm curious how some of these are being installed. I keep hearing "I torqued it to spec" or to 110ft. lbs or whatever, but that doesn't mean that the balancer was seated fully before throwing on the bolt and using the torque wrench. When I installed my ATI, I used an installation tool that I got from Beefcake that inserted a threaded rod and had a big threaded sleeve that was used to pull the balancer on. You could feel it when the balancer seated because the amount of torque it took to keep tightening that sleeve got extremely high. In other words, it suddenly got really hard to tighten further and you could tell it wouldn't go on any more. I now have 30k miles on that setup with a whipple and no issues. I highly recommend picking up a proper install tool if you are going to use an aftermarket balancer. Using an installation bolt to pull it on, then switching to the normal bolt for the rest of the way is just prone to too many mistakes. Bottoming out the install bolt, or not seating all the way could both lead to crank snout failure.
A++++++++++++++ When the install tool goes from basically turning by hand to won't budge she's home.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
The 18+ crank damper is a fluid damper which is completely different (better) in its dampening ability than the 11-17 damper.

Ford spent quite a bit of time developing the 18+ damper due to the raised rev limit of the Gen 3 and historical oil gear failures.

If my car was a blower car, you couldn’t pay me any amount of money to take off the 18 damper and replace it with an aftermarket unit.

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
The 18+ crank damper is a fluid damper which is completely different (better) in its dampening ability than the 11-17 damper.

Ford spent quite a bit of time developing the 18+ damper due to the raised rev limit of the Gen 3 and historical oil gear failures.

If my car was a blower car, you couldn’t pay me any amount of money to take off the 18 damper and replace it with an aftermarket unit.
I know of 4 18's that have broken the snouts off... might be a fluid damper and helped out the oil gear and crank sprocket but the snout itself.. no bueno.

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
I know of 4 18's that have broken the snouts off... might be a fluid damper and helped out the oil gear and crank sprocket but the snout itself.. no bueno.
Thank you! People need to get off the ATI causes it horse. Do you know did those 4 remove and replace them to do opg's or something, or factory install and they still broke?

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Link/s?

First I’ve heard of this... definitely not good if true

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Thank you! People need to get off the ATI causes it horse. Do you know did those 4 remove and replace them to do opg's or something, or factory install and they still broke?

The vast majority of crank failures have had aftermarket dampers. Just look through this thread and the others on the topic.

Facts are facts.

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
This guy broke a crank on an 18 with a P1x Procharger -

Stock damper too:
upload_2019-6-20_16-32-10.png

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
The vast majority of crank failures have had aftermarket dampers. Just look through this thread and the others on the topic.

Facts are facts.
No doubt. Did I say they weren't? Plenty of people claiming it to be ATI caused. Well there's just more people running ATI than any others. But if facts can be provided about these 18 dampers breaking and whether or not they were ever removed opening the door for installer error, or factory install and exposing the weakness in the crank as it came from Ford.

Sponsored

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
Damn! Ungood.

Well.. there goes my argument I guess lol

Carry on guys!
There's one of the vids I was going to send.

Two others are turbo guys. With the OPG/CS replaced, still on the stock damper.

Last one is on anything coyote mustang related on facebook.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
There's one of the vids I was going to send.

Two others are turbo guys. With the OPG/CS replaced, still on the stock damper.

Last one is on anything coyote mustang related on facebook.
:lipssealed::lipssealed::lipssealed:

Well the 2 turbo cars with opg's replaced lends more credit to installer error re-installing the factory balancer, and further validates is not because blower belt tension.

ramirj2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium, 2003 350z, 1978 280z
Cobra Jet uses a 20% Ati 10 rib overdrive at 21 pounds of boost. How about snout breaking under tensions in these?
How many Cobra Jet failures?

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Cobra Jet uses a 20% Ati 10 rib overdrive at 21 pounds of boost. How about snout breaking under tensions in these?
How many Cobra Jet failures?
How many cobra jets are there out in the wild?
Sponsored