New Owner! Engine and transmission questions

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
Hello Everyone, I am so happy to finally join the mustang community. I have always dreamed of buying a ford mustang as a child and finally got a 2019 Mustang GT with manual transmission.
This is my first american sports car and I currently own a BMW 545i 4.4L V8 and Mercedes E550 5.5L V8
I have a couple of questions:

1: I am not sure why but I feel like the car doesn't rev as quick or feel as quick with about 460 hp compared to the BMW 545i 325 hp v8. I am not saying its slow but it feel like I have to throttle it hard to make it rev quick. The transmission shifts beautiful and I am getting better at shifting the MT82. I do find the clutch has a long pedal travel but now I am getting used to it.
Are 5.0 engines less torqy at low RPM? I am not trying to go past 3500 rpm for the first few hundred miles of break in anyway. I am also worried about over revving all the time to 4-5K and abusing my car.

2: The only mod I did was to get a weighted shift knob. It has made the shifting a day and night difference in terms of comfort. When I was trying to twist off the OEM shift knob it was quite hard to get it off so I had to use some force with my hands no tools. Maybe i am being paranoid but I feel like there is a little rotational play in the shift lever when I kind of twist the shift knob back and forth a little. I put the old one back and also noted that play and it may have been there before but I never noted it until now. I asked my dad and he said it was fine.

Attached in the picture of 700 gram shift knob.

I appreciate your input and again very happy that I purchased a mustang.
20190619_203711.jpg
Sponsored

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
As far as the car feeling slow I try to keep mine in Sport Plus with either comfort or normal steering. It feels considerably quicker in that setting. When I first got my car I thought no way this has 460 horsepower but these cars are revers and in sport mode it really comes alive.

2017GBGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Premium GTPP w/ Recaros
The car does naturally have lower torque at low RPMs, but like the above poster said if you drive in Sport+ mode it significantly improves that issue. Also look into getting a tune, which should improve that even more as well as the throttle response (I assume, somebody with a 2018/2019 can confirm if that's still the case)

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Stop worrying about abusing the 5.0. The engine was made to beat on. If you want to feel the power the rpms have to be wrapped out. I have 15k on my 19 already and I've noticed all week long when I'm by myself in the car running it hard it drives better than on weekends. Weekends I have the family with me and drive much more conservatively. There have been a few posts in the past of people taking their mustang in for service because it wasn't running smooth. Dealer told them you have to get on it sometimes and drive it the way it was designed to run... hard! As far as the break in period people have mixed reviews on whether or not that's good for new cars.

YoloBathsalts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT - PP1
Rev it out its not meant to be driven slowly, you can feel the engine get frustrated. Also for break it you really oughta give it to her, otherwise you can get oil eating issues later on as the rings didn't set properly.
It's a mustang, beat on it some.

Sponsored

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Rev it out its not meant to be driven slowly, you can feel the engine get frustrated. Also for break it you really oughta give it to her, otherwise you can get oil eating issues later on as the rings didn't set properly.
It's a mustang, beat on it some.
Yolo,Is a high paid engineer/designer who works for Ford,he know's what he is talking about. LOL !!!!!!!!!

Groovy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 700A Tremec Oxford White
This engine comes alive after 4000 rmp.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
The 5.0 feels soft at low rpm but really wakes up past 4000 rpm. You will get many answers as to how to break it in. Mine is to continually raise the rpm with occasional hard throttle bursts until you reach 600 miles and redline.

All "tunes" including the factory tune are compromises, the factory one being set to please the most owners with the best drivability. If this is not you then other tunes may suit your needs better but they all compromise something in order to provide specific "improvements".

Jiki05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Do people not test drive the mustang before signing the papers? Everyone knows this engine comes alive after 4k rpms...

And most will tell you here to drive it hard even during break in. If any problems pop up it should do it within the first 1000 miles.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Also if you want better low end and great top end go E85. Best first mod for these cars

Sponsored

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Sport mode - helps the throttle response

Tune - wait until the car is broken in properly and then get the Ford Performance Tune - It might not provide the highest peak HP increase, but it provides a HUGE torque/hp boost at the lower RPMs. Have a certified mechanic install it and you will still have a Ford PERFORMANCE warranty on your engine.

Foreign parts vs American - so I've noticed the OEM parts (driveline/brakes/wheels/tires) for a Mustang are generally very heavy vs some (higher end) foreign car makers. It takes stepping up to a Shelby GT350 or GT500 to get those better lightweight parts (2-piece rotors, lightweight driveshaft, wheels, etc) My Porsche had a lot more aluminum and lightweight part for important rotational mass part, etc. So for my 2014 GT, I swapped out for a one-piece aluminum driveshaft, lightweight wheels, and even 2-piece brake rotors. Each one made the car feel more responsive. But cost a lot more per butt dyno points.

Tune - great bang for buck butt dyno boost
1-piece driveshaft - great butt dyno boost, felt more responsive in reving up & down
lightweight wheels - expensive, but nice butt dyno boost

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
Stop worrying about abusing the 5.0. The engine was made to beat on. If you want to feel the power the rpms have to be wrapped out. I have 15k on my 19 already and I've noticed all week long when I'm by myself in the car running it hard it drives better than on weekends. Weekends I have the family with me and drive much more conservatively. There have been a few posts in the past of people taking their mustang in for service because it wasn't running smooth. Dealer told them you have to get on it sometimes and drive it the way it was designed to run... hard! As far as the break in period people have mixed reviews on whether or not that's good for new cars.
My dad is so old school and tells me not to rev the engine because high rpm driving can wear out the engine quicker. Do you feel you have to use a lot of throttle to really push the car past 4K rpms?

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
But cost a lot more per butt dyno points.

Tune - great bang for buck butt dyno boost

1-piece driveshaft - great butt dyno boost, felt more responsive in reving up & down
lightweight wheels - expensive, but nice butt dyno boost
I've googled around and cannot for the life of me find one of these butt dyno's near me. Where does one find such a device? LOL

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Break it in any way you want, and you will get all kinds of opinions here, some educated, some not so much. I don't think you can go wrong by following the manual. As for the power, the car is very Jekyll and Hyde. Below 4,000rpm it's very civilized, above that, it's an animal.

Remember this is a N/A engine which behaves differently to a turbo engine, which have low-end grunt.
Sponsored