Sponsored

Finally my Alice is ready to run with the Stangs!

slowrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
It's been 3 weeks since I drove 800+ miles to pick up my car in Alabama to Texas with full front Tracwrap to keep her chip free and never revving over 4k. Worried so much about rock chips so I waited 3 weeks to get the perfect installer to have an opening for Suntek Paint Protection and Suntek CIR tint all around. I got headlights, fog lights, front bumper, full hood, 1/3 fenders, grill, mirrors, 8" leading edge roof, front rear fender protectors as well. Really considered full front fenders however upon talking to the owner he said it's nice but not necessary however he did recommend the front of the rear fenders which I did.

Now she's tinted, protected and has 1200 miles on her. Ready to let my Stang run. It's been a tough 3 weeks.

gt.10.jpg

gt.11.jpg
View attachment 373834
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....never revving over 4k....
You should have been beating on it from the start. Red-line it right off the lot.

I'm not kidding. Babied engines tend to become oil-burners. The best break-in is driving it like you stole it. Heat and pressure are what new engines need to break-in properly. Especially with new engine manufacturing techniques.

Really, why does Ford continue putting crap in their owner's manuals from the days of flat-tappet cam engines?

Last edited:

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
What tint did you get and who in the world did you drive 800 miles for?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Very nice! My break-in was a 3200 mile trip through 6 states and 9,000 feet of elevation changes. My favorite stretch was El Paso to San Antonio. Here was my dash at one point:
037.JPG
20190518_112950.jpg

>>Edited to add: I have never named my cars but if I did mine would be named Lucy.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
You should have been beating on it from the start. Red-line it right off the lot.

I'm not kidding. Babied engines tend to become oil-burners. The best break-in is driving it like you stole it. Heat and pressure are what new engines need to break-in properly. Especially with new engine manufacturing techniques.

Really, why does Ford continue putting crap in their owner's manuals from the days of flat-tappet cam engines?
This.

Make sure it's properly warmed up and let it eat. Mine bounced off the limiter the first time after about 50 miles of varied speeds and loads, not one issue.

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)

Yes... apparently the new engines should not be babied and run at same rpm, the rings need to be seated properly by revving high. This has been the case for at least 10 years now...

OP
OP
slowrey

slowrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
What tint did you get and who in the world did you drive 800 miles for?
I got the Suntek Ceramic (CIR) 30% all the way around. Drove 800 miles to pick her up from Austin, TX to Montgomery, AL

Alice......evidently she's somethin' special.
My 6 year old daughter already named her Alice and had a "welcome home" banner with her name on it when I pulled up.

Yes... apparently the new engines should not be babied and run at same rpm, the rings need to be seated properly by revving high. This has been the case for at least 10 years now...
Well I varied my RPM on the way home but I didn't go over 4k RPM. I think the manual states something to that affect.

From page 204 of the manual it states: "Avoid driving too fast during the first 1,000 miles. Vary your speed frequenty and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine"

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Congrats!!! Great looking car!!!

I did my break in per the manual and have had the 2k rattle since I left the lot at 3.9 miles and the bbq tick is intermittently happening during warm up in the mornings. I hope its just metal expanding/contracting and these forums have just made me paranoid. My point it that breaking in per manual still netted me possibly both of the noises people freak out about. If I could do it over again though, I'd still follow the manual it's just the sheep I am lol.

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Congrats!!! Great looking car!!!

I did my break in per the manual and have had the 2k rattle since I left the lot at 3.9 miles and the bbq tick is intermittently happening during warm up in the mornings. I hope its just metal expanding/contracting and these forums have just made me paranoid. My point it that breaking in per manual still netted me possibly both of the noises people freak out about. If I could do it over again though, I'd still follow the manual it's just the sheep I am lol.
Haha good post I 'm a sheep too. I was pretty civilized with mine as well. I have the rattle noted by many at 2500ish. I had a few 5000 RPM pulls and maybe one or perhaps two 6000 RPM hits. I would say I didn't beat it nor did I baby it. Got about 50 miles to go to 1000 now so basically there now. And with the A10 in sport mode the trans constantly upshifts and downshifts so varying the RPM is a no brainer. My car had 40 miles on it when I test drove it so it may have been honed already before me :)

OP
OP
slowrey

slowrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Haha good post I 'm a sheep too. I was pretty civilized with mine as well. I have the rattle noted by many at 2500ish. I had a few 5000 RPM pulls and maybe one or perhaps two 6000 RPM hits. I would say I didn't beat it nor did I baby it. Got about 50 miles to go to 1000 now so basically there now. And with the A10 in sport mode the trans constantly upshifts and downshifts so varying the RPM is a no brainer. My car had 40 miles on it when I test drove it so it may have been honed already before me :)
I wouldn't be surprised if there are people with your issues too who drove it like they stole it too :)

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I wouldn't be surprised if there are people with your issues too who drove it like they stole it too :)
Yep. I'll only start worrying around the 36k mark when warranty is about to expire. That's about 34k miles away though so if it blows now it only costs time and headache. I wouldn't look forward to another break in though. Governing your habits sucks. Maybe there will be a recall or answer at some point as to what the sounds are. Till she leaves me stranded, all is good.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
My 6 year old daughter already named her Alice and had a "welcome home" banner with her name on it when I pulled up.....
You had no choice in the matter. "Alice" it is.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Yeah exactly I think how the car is broken in has little if anything to do with what noises we hear or not.... I think its luck of the draw.
Sponsored