A Love Story *warning will cause heartbreak*

Adrian8544

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium (RIP) 2016 Mustang GT Premium
Hello all, my name is Adrian, I am a first time poster long time reader, I’ve been wanting to get onto the actual forum itself, but I’ve been waiting until I’ve had anything meaningful to share, be it a mod or discovery etc. Anyhow, let me start with a love story.

September of 2018: I had just come home from finishing college, was about to start a new decent paying job and I was in need of a a vehicle to drive to work. For better or for worse I let a childhood dream take over and I purchase a lightly used 2015 Premium Ecoboost Mustang. And yes, it wasn’t a GT, but being young I didn’t want a big insurance bill, and I wanted to splurge but not so much that it would become a burden. The car was perfect, every other car I’d previously driven was either my parents or my brothers, and none of those cars ever had anything close to the power the Mustang did. This was my first big purchase other than college tuition and board. I had a lot of fun getting used to the torque! Every day I drove from my home to work, about 80 miles round trip, and yes I was tripling up on payments to make up for the high mileage. I couldn’t imagine a more fun commute. I even had the heated/cooled seats with Shaker Pro system and Nav, so getting lost and music were never a problem! Pure bliss. I had plans too, exhaust, cold air intake, a tune the usual etc.

The only thing I’d done to date with the car was fix the racing strips, the previous owner had some awful colored and crooked stripes on there, I can’t believe the dealer didn’t take them off. I’d also gotten some new tires, there was some side wall damage on the ones it originally had, I made sure to get some change off the price for that too. I got legal 30% tint all around except the windshield as well. Now, I babied this thing, frequent detailing, Chevron 91 gas, always on time oil change, being a kid who came from little, I was not going to let this car go to waste.

Here comes the bad part. I’ve been driving since I was 16, now 22, never had as much as a scratch on any drive... On my way home, after driving my commute endless amount of times, I was rear ended by an 86 year old man who claimed he didn’t see me brake. Nothing I could’ve have done. I was in the exit lane, slowing down from 65, I was going 40 last I glanced at the Speedo, as there is a sharp right turn followed by a red light. This was towards the end of the lane! For those you wondering why I was slowing down.

Anyways, it in insurance hands now, I’ll wait to see what happens. I am very sore throughout my body, but thankfully I am not hurt as of day 1 after the accident, shout out Ford engineering! Never drove crazy or anything, for as much as I wanted too, funny, I had finally managed to book a local tack that was going to go out to later next week. I am absolutely heart broken.

https://imgur.com/a/wXmO4el
Sponsored

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
You didn't say how bad the damage is. Is it drivable?
I hope it goes well for you.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
re: "... claimed he didn’t see me brake ..."

And didn't notice the near-two ton vehicle slow in front of him? I sometimes get people riding up on my ass since I coast or engine brake when possible; do people not believe a car is slowing unless they see brake lights? Hell, half the cars around here are missing at least one brake light.

Hopefully, the old guy had good insurance. Sounds like you car was hit pretty bad if you're hurting; your car may get totalled (sorry, but maybe it's time to get a Coyote ;)).

OP
OP
Adrian8544

Adrian8544

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Fucking old sperm shouldn’t have been behind the wheel. At least you’re OK.
Believe it or not, I’m not mad at him about. I think he was alright too. Maybe it’s my pacific nature, but I don’t feel any ill feelings towards him at all.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Adrian8544

Adrian8544

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
You didn't say how bad the damage is. Is it drivable?
I hope it goes well for you.
It wasn’t drivable after the hit. Took four people to get it on the tow truck. I don’t know how bad it is or what needs to be repair just yet. Hoping to know by the end of the week.

OP
OP
Adrian8544

Adrian8544

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)

And didn't notice the near-two ton vehicle slow in front of him? I sometimes get people riding up on my ass since I coast or engine brake when possible; do people not believe a car is slowing unless they see brake lights? Hell, half the cars around here are missing at least one brake light.

Hopefully, the old guy had good insurance. Sounds like you car was hit pretty bad if you're hurting; your car may get totalled (sorry, but maybe it's time to get a Coyote ;)).
A lot of things have to go right for it to be Coyote time. He claimed to be going 40 as well, however doesn’t that go again the laws of physics? If I was going 40 and you were going 40 why was there contact? Hit almost felt like he hit me at full 65.

Funny enough, all my friends are joking about the braking. “You mean you didn’t notice the 6 bright red lights come on the all black car?” If you look at the first picture, you can kinda of see what the exit looks like and how you have to manage slowing down to take it. Most drivers on this highway are commuters so they know this. The guy that hit, of course, was from out of state.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Accidents happen. As long as your not hurt. And he has insurance. It's a happy ending in my book. Most likely they'll total your car and cut you a check. Make sure your happy with the amount. They will try to low ball you!

Reactions: A7X
OP
OP
Adrian8544

Adrian8544

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Accidents happen. As long as your not hurt. And he has insurance. It's a happy ending in my book. Most likely they'll total your car and cut you a check. Make sure your happy with the amount. They will try to low ball you!
Oh this is interesting. Any advice? I do have GAP insurance as well. Based on the mileage black book quotes anywhere from $12k-$18k. Are there ever instances in which you get paid for more than what is owed on the car? Or is it all based on the car’s value? I’m expecting the worst just to be safe. That being I get something for the car and it’s enough to cover what’s left of the loan. I still owe about $19k, I bought the car for $27k

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Oh this is interesting. Any advice? I do have GAP insurance as well. Based on the mileage black book quotes anywhere from $12k-$18k. Are there ever instances in which you get paid for more than what is owed on the car? Or is it all based on the car’s value? I’m expecting the worst just to be safe. That being I get something for the car and it’s enough to cover what’s left of the loan. I still owe about $19k, I bought the car for $27k
They are supposed to give you fair replacement market value. It's not about book value. They are supposed to give you what it will cost to replace the car. In your area. Also If you had a low mileage. Loaded car. They cant give you. Base high miles money. I totalled a car once and got a low ball check. I refused to cash it. Found 3 cars like my car on lots in my area. All with a higher asking price. Than their first offer. I showed them what that model was going for in my area. And they cut me a different larger check. Don't ask for a payoff. Ask for replacement value. Or your screwing yourself.

Last edited:

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Funny enough, all my friends are joking about the braking. “You mean you didn’t notice the 6 bright red lights come on the all black car?”
Yeah, the S550 tail light are blinding. Dude must have been Mr. Magoo. Hope everything works out well for you.

Decosse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver Cyclone 051a 3.55
They are supposed to give you fair replacement market value. It's not about book value. They are supposed to give you what it will cost to replace the car. In your area. Also If you had a low mileage. Loaded car. They cant give you. Base high miles money. I totalled a car once and got a low ball check. I refused to cash it. Found 3 cars like my car on lots in my area. All with a higher asking price. Than their first offer. I showed them what that model was going for in my area. And they cut me a different larger check. Don't ask for a payoff. Ask for replacement value. Or your screwing yourself.
Yes! This! When I had a car totaled, the insurance adjusters looked at several dealers around town and offered the average sales price. I let them know they also needed to check the prices in Southern California as well, since I worked at SCCA sanctioned races and my car was well known (a 1 year old 94 Pontiac Firebird Formula) I had photos of it at the Long Beach Grand Prix with credentials on the windshield, in parades and events They came up with a higher price.
OP, you don't have to accept the first offer. Do your research, and check the area to which you commute. Are the prices comparable there? Best of luck to you!

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
Glad you are not hurt. Insurance should take care of everything hopefully. Ensure you get fair pricing for your vehicle. I don't know what is in your policy but your insurance is likely going to low ball you. Use sites like Autotrader etc to show them comparable cars and get the amount you are looking for. Never take the first offer. Also, get checked out by a doctor just to make sure you are not hurt. I have seen plenty of people develop symptoms days, weeks, months after an accident so make sure to keep track of anything.

Let us know how everything goes and we will see you back on the road in no time.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
...I am absolutely heart broken....
Buck-up little camper, it will be o.k. It's a car, it can and will be replaced. That's what insurance is for.

What really matters isn't the car, it's the fun times you have with it and the other people you do stuff with in it. You can have just as much fun and good times with your next car.

Deleted member 35786

That is a huge issue here in Florida where we have the highest number of elderly drivers. To top that off we also have the most uninsured drivers on the road at around 26%...
Do not worry young man about the car, they make thousands of them a day. It can always be replaced/repaired.
Sponsored