Sponsored

Check engine light not illuminating

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I bought a 2015 ecoboost from a used car dealer a month ago. After replacing a transmission speed sensor I noticed the scanner said I have a CEL for crank pressure, but no light on the dash. I ran that engineering test mode by holding OK while starting and still no check engine light. Am I overthinking this, shouldn't the CEL display in that mode or when in accessory mode?
Sponsored

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a 2015 ecoboost from a used car dealer a month ago. After replacing a transmission speed sensor I noticed the scanner said I have a CEL for crank pressure, but no light on the dash. I ran that engineering test mode by holding OK while starting and still no check engine light. Am I overthinking this, shouldn't the CEL display in that mode or when in accessory mode?
It is an issue , but it does not cause an emissions to be out of a spec of the epa . The ses light has two functions . If it is flashing , there may conditions causing engine damage . If on solid then you are out of emissions compliance . If a code sets and no light , it is being monitored for possible failure . Hope that makes sense.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
It is an issue , but it does not cause an emissions to be out of a spec of the epa . The ses light has two functions . If it is flashing , there may conditions causing engine damage . If on solid then you are out of emissions compliance . If a code sets and no light , it is being monitored for possible failure . Hope that makes sense.
I'm more concerned about not getting the light to illuminate at all. Like a burnt out bulb. How can I test the light is even working. It's not displaying in test mode or in accessory mode.

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The light will do a prove out when started . Light up when you go from off to run or koeo . It should also set cade if does not pro b e out during those key cycle

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hope that made sense , fucking auto correct

Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
The light will do a prove out when started . Light up when you go from off to run or koeo . It should also set cade if does not pro b e out during those key cycle
Okay, so I do have an issue with the cel not displaying. Car has 20,000 miles with a burnt out CEL? Seems suspicious.

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hard to see it burnt out . It is an led . You need to check codes in the ic .

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Hard to see it burnt out . It is an led . You need to check codes in the ic .
Right right, it'll show a code. Misread ur last post. That's very useful info. I'll check for code for the cel not proving out.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
No codes about the cel not working, so I removed the cluster to investigate.
received_2401212373447242.jpeg

Found out why it's not displaying.
received_2338513956469465.jpeg

Balled up paper towel. I think the dealer has some explaining to do.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
That old gag.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Found out why it's not displaying.

received_2338513956469465.jpeg

Balled up paper towel. I think the dealer has some explaining to do.
WTF, that's messed up. So is that how your dealer fixes s check engine light? I'd be talking to the general manager and/or owner of that dealership.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
There's some major legal issues right there. I think it's called fraudulent concealment. You'll need to check with an attorney if the dealership doesn't make this right for you.

cdq85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Boostey Pants
So did the check engine light ever work when you had the car? Very curious if the person who traded it in did this or the dealership did it while it was being repaired. I really can't imagine a dealer being dumb enough to do something like that.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
So did the check engine light ever work when you had the car? Very curious if the person who traded it in did this or the dealership did it while it was being repaired. I really can't imagine a dealer being dumb enough to do something like that.
If the dealer did a state inspection, they either skipped the first step or hid the issue themselves
https://girlsautoclinic.com/pa-state-inspection/

"Let’s start with an easy one. If this light is on or not operating at all you will fail inspection. The check engine light illuminates because the car is burning fuel inefficiently. Either using too much gas or dumping too much pollutants out the exhaust."

Tone Everready

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB and 2019 GT
If the dealer did a state inspection, they either skipped the first step or hid the issue themselves
https://girlsautoclinic.com/pa-state-inspection/

"Let’s start with an easy one. If this light is on or not operating at all you will fail inspection. The check engine light illuminates because the car is burning fuel inefficiently. Either using too much gas or dumping too much pollutants out the exhaust."
Did you really just link “girls auto clinic”?
Sponsored