Sponsored

How much hp can a 2017 Mustang GT stock engine can handle?

OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Had the ATI balancer put on before 7,000 miles, don't know exactly when off the top of my head. I still owe $20k on the car, which is fine because I intend on keeping the car forever and only have a 1.7 mile commute to work, thus the low mileage. I don't really have the budget at all for a engine rebuild and unfortunately will be throwing the build on a 9.99 % APR credit card which at most will be able to throw 2-$300 a month on for the foreseeable future. I'm happy with the current power level and don't have any intentions of using anything other than 93 octane. Basically, I'm just looking for a build that can safely hold my current power. Going with a sleeved block would be great, but unfortunately is beyond what I can afford. Also, without the MMR forged crank, can't guarantee this problem won't happen again. Would hate to sleeve a motor just for a crank to fail again. The shop that will be doing all the work, Jensen Performance in PA, won't be able to pull the motor for about another 1.5-2 weeks. In all honesty, just feeling a bit overwhelmed and trying to make sense of my options. I'm hoping the heads are salvageable and just need a valve job.
Take your time man. The only reason I bought a supercharger is because I’m not planning to sell this car or intends to buy another Mustang with only 25 hp added to it every year. From 1990’s up to now hp added are from 215 to 455 hp. Definitely will beat some future camaro and dodgers for awhile getting my car supercharged. I’ll slowly build this car and maintain it for sure.

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
I’ve been talking to Chris from LPF and he does sound like he cares about the cars he works on. I told him about my concerns and he wants me to take a picture of my procharger p1x setup. Once I have the time to send him pictures of the car, he’ll let me know what’s up. He wants to test the car before he tunes it. He does seem to specialize on Mustang.
Think you're talking about a different shop than I. Limitless Performance and Fabrication. They're in Humble. Don't know anyone that works there named Chris as Justin is the only one that tunes there.

OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Think you're talking about a different shop than I. Limitless Performance and Fabrication. They're in Humble. Don't know anyone that works there named Chris as Justin is the only one that tunes there.
My bad. I thought LPF is in Houston? The shop I was talking about is in San Antonio called 210 Performance. Been looking around hard for this car although I’m happy right now but, I think the potential was limited.

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
My bad. I thought LPF is in Houston? The shop I was talking about is in San Antonio called 210 Performance. Been looking around hard for this car although I’m happy right now but, I think the potential was limited.
Yeah Humble is north Houston essentially

Sponsored

OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Yeah Humble is north Houston essentially
They’re really good with the Mustang and sct handhelds? I know you mentioned you took your car on that all the time.

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
They’re really good with the Mustang and sct handhelds? I know you mentioned you took your car on that all the time.
They specializes in mustangs. Everything from engine building, tuning, custom turbo kits, off the shelf turbo kits and anything else you can think of.
They use HP tuner to tune the cars. I'm not sure if SCT and HP tuners can work together or not. I've never had a handheld with any of mustangs he's tuned.
When I was N.A. I was on a flex fuel tune so I could put in E85 or 93 or a mix inbetween lol. Now that I'm twin turbo'd I run E85 only.
Do you have a fuel system in yours and is E85 easy for you to get?

OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
They specializes in mustangs. Everything from engine building, tuning, custom turbo kits, off the shelf turbo kits and anything else you can think of.
They use HP tuner to tune the cars. I'm not sure if SCT and HP tuners can work together or not. I've never had a handheld with any of mustangs he's tuned.
When I was N.A. I was on a flex fuel tune so I could put in E85 or 93 or a mix inbetween lol. Now that I'm twin turbo'd I run E85 only.
Do you have a fuel system in yours and is E85 easy for you to get?
The shop I had my s/c installed used hp tuner as well and just like you, I don’t have a handheld. I want to use my sct x4 so I can see what I have and check for codes and clear them in the future. Only fuel systems I have is a unknown 52 lbs injectors according from the shop and I don’t like when he said that because I didn’t see it. E85 are all over the place here in my area.

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
The shop I had my s/c installed used hp tuner as well and just like you, I don’t have a handheld. I want to use my sct x4 so I can see what I have and check for codes and clear them in the future. Only fuel systems I have is a unknown 52 lbs injectors according from the shop and I don’t like when he said that because I didn’t see it. E85 are all over the place here in my area.
Yeah that's definitely worrisome...
Oh okay I see. Yes you'll still be able to use the X4 for all of that!
What is your end goal with the car?

If E85 is readily available I would suggest a return style fuel system and swapping over to E85 (LPF has one that's capable of 1000whp for a great price). Knock is almost impossible with E85! You'll see a really decent gain in power from just the swap on the same boost level.
Justin has tuned plenty of procharger set ups.

OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Yeah that's definitely worrisome...
Oh okay I see. Yes you'll still be able to use the X4 for all of that!
What is your end goal with the car?

If E85 is readily available I would suggest a return style fuel system and swapping over to E85 (LPF has one that's capable of 1000whp for a great price). Knock is almost impossible with E85! You'll see a really decent gain in power from just the swap on the same boost level.
Justin has tuned plenty of procharger set ups.
End goal is just 600-700 whp for the street. I’m not going balls to the wall with the car. I just want a pretty fast car because I’m tired buying new cars every a couple of years. My intention is to keep this car for a long time. I’m looking to add JMS bap and the install looks really easy but I don’t know if I have to tune the car if I install the bap.

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Corn juice not only adds power, but will help the engine last longer, and take more of a beating. It's octane is 1 thing, but the overlooked thing is the combustion chamber cooling effect it offers. Can really hold of the ring land deletes to an extent. Boost+E85=600-700 easily. BAP won't cut it tho, need return system like said.

OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Corn juice not only adds power, but will help the engine last longer, and take more of a beating. It's octane is 1 thing, but the overlooked thing is the combustion chamber cooling effect it offers. Can really hold of the ring land deletes to an extent. Boost+E85=600-700 easily. BAP won't cut it tho, need return system like said.
Someone mentioned here maybe at the beginning of the thread, a fuel pump upgrade is not needed for E85. He even said to pack it up and find a different shop asap! I asked the same shop about the E85 tune before and he said I need to change the fuel pump for E85 but I had to back up because a member said that. I read y’all mentioned E85 is absolutely amazing with these cars but I must’ve missed reading the benefits from E85. Definitely something to look at.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Someone mentioned here maybe at the beginning of the thread, a fuel pump upgrade is not needed for E85. He even said to pack it up and find a different shop asap! I asked the same shop about the E85 tune before and he said I need to change the fuel pump for E85 but I had to back up because a member said that. I read y’all mentioned E85 is absolutely amazing with these cars but I must’ve missed reading the benefits from E85. Definitely something to look at.
injectors too. 52's prob won't cut it. I don't know what they can take on E. E85 takes approximately 30% more fuel volume than standard pump gas.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Just had my motor fail this weekend with less than 13k miles. Crankshaft snout snapped out of the blue while cruising in 6th gear around 2,000 rpm. Had been driving home after a night of test/tune and street legal drags Fridnay night Numidia Raceway. Car had made 786 whp on a dynapack and 776 on an in ground dynojet 93 octane/Lucas oil octane booster.

I have a call planned with a local well know engine builder tomorrow to decide which direction to go with on the rebuild/new motor.

Hoping to have something built to handle 800-900whp for less than $10k.
I got a sleeved 5.0 long block with trick flow springs ,complete from covers to pan I will seek for a little over $10k if you are interested .
Already has STOCK damper installed

Ouch, damn that sucks.

How many miles since the ATI was put on? Typically if its an install problem it shows fast, not after 13k miles.

Scary thing about broken cranks is... a built engine typically wont have a stronger one. The OEM crankshaft is forged already so that is whats used in all built motors. The only stronger one is a billet crank sold by MMR for nearly the price of a whole shortblock itself.

You can typically get a built motor around 10k, but not sleeved. I would consider spending the extra to sleeve it and know its bulletproof the first time...
True . And it’s not only supercharged engines Mine failed on my expensive 1500 MMR 5.2 short block after about 5000 miles with a Hellion TT .

I was able to salvage the I beams but the block will need to be rebored to > 3.7 bore (due to tapered cylinder bore ) so may not be best for FI.

Not sure about the GT 350 heads but might be able to get away with replacing the valves .

OP
OP
SSG 5.0

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
injectors too. 52's prob won't cut it. I don't know what they can take on E. E85 takes approximately 30% more fuel volume than standard pump gas.
Too many things to do with the car but, it’s definitely worth reading all of these comments. I’m going to get back with a couple of suspension upgrades and go from there. Probably best to read a lot more what is next if I go E85 route, along with fuel systems components needed. I’ll ask some shops too.
Sponsored