Why are GTs so slow on Motorways?

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow
Lol yea it is amusing youll be cruising past then at !!! mph they doing about 60 ish then seconds later they scream past either on the inside or just after you've pulled over to inside lane lol even people in people carriers seem to want to race past like they have something to prove lol
had a guy in some old ford galaxy break his neck trying to stay in front of me even tho I wasn't racing him just driving how I wanted too lol
Sponsored

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I find the financial thing a bit bizzare. If I were worried about fuel, insurance, servicing costs. I wouldn't have a Mustang.

As for the motorway thing, ime, the faster one goes, the higher the risk of confrontation. If I had a fiver for every time some jealous so and so, has seen me "making progress" in the outside lane and then just pulled out to block me, I'd be a richer Man. So, if I drive the GT at speed in the outside lane of the Mway, I get idiots using their cars as mobile chicanes/road blocks, dangerously enforcing what they think my speed should be.

Ime, a certain sub-demographic of BMW drivers always do anything and everything they can to bait me into racing them, for their entertainment. I find that shit is soooooo old, I simply can't be arsed!

I've also discovered I can't really "stretch" the GT on the road. Damn thing does over 50mph in 1st, would do more than 70mph in 2nd and it does this so quickly there's little to no time to enjoy the upper end of the rev range.
So, I've become an unexpected cruiser, in the GT.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I find the financial thing a bit bizzare. If I were worried about fuel, insurance, servicing costs. I wouldn't have a Mustang.
Yea, but if you could save a few ÂŁhundred a year by driving sensibly on those "non fun" drives, wouldn't you? I didn't upgrade to the GT for the fuel economy either but when I'm not driving for the enjoyment factor (although I always enjoy driving it), then I like the thought of not spending more than I have to on fuel. Admittedly it's a weird mindset - I feel like I'm "saving" money if I can get good mpg. The reality is that over time that will add up to spending far less on fuel than I could.

I blame my father :crackup:

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
@Kristian87

Cool. Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well, there.

My comments were not intended as a critisism, but a statement of my lack of understanding. So your insight into how you view the economy thing, is useful.
Always good to try to understand another's PoV regarding ownership.
:)

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
@Kristian87

Cool. Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well, there.

My comments were not intended as a critisism, but a statement of my lack of understanding. So your insight into how you view the economy thing, is useful.
Always good to try to understand another's PoV regarding ownership.
:)
Haha sorry if I came across all defensive! The S550 introduction brought with it a new breed of owners IMO, generally speaking the Mustang became much more than a weekend toy, somewhat affordable for the younger folks (i like to think) like me, and verging on "practical" compared with a lefty import - modern or classic. It's why I jumped straight into the Ecoboost in 2015 - a brand new Mustang, in RHD, with decent mpg for <ÂŁ30k - absolute no brainier as my one & only car.

Weird that I kept my Fiesta whilst I had the Ecoboost & now it's gone whilst I have the GT, not sure I did that right lol

Sponsored

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Mine hit the magical 30mpg the other day on a long trip, it’s back down in the early 20s now like :crackup:

2728DFEC-8B15-4422-9C16-40CCD5244885.jpeg

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
@Kristian87
No worries, not being defensive, imo. I agree about the initial S550, 15 to 17, being a lot of car for the money and consequently being so irresistable.

Just over a year ago, I was running a 64 A5, 3.0 Tdi convertible and a 14 A8, 3.0 TDi.
They never did more than high 20s, so when the S550 popped up on the radar, a coupe of miles per gallon seemed inconsequential for me, compared to my supposedly "economical" diesel cars.

I admire what Ford appears to have achieved, producing the emissions compliant, Gen 3 Coyote, 5 Litre, V8, in a car weighing as much as ours do, which still gives low 20s for someone like me who pays absolutely no attention to how often I press the loud pedal.
But which is still capable of high 30s, even possible touching 40mpg.

As per my initial post, I cruise the GT for different reasons, but no more valid than folk who feel money saved at the pump, will go towards mods, etc.
:like:

OP
OP
Splash

Splash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2017, Ford Fiesta ST200.
Personally, I equate low MPG with fun. According to my tracking app the worst I ever got was 18.1 in my EBM. That was fun weekend :like:

Although, looking that up as just reminded me that I've spent over ÂŁ3,570 in fuel in the last year. F**k!

I didn't buy it considering fuel economy, but knowing that it can be on a long run is nice to know.

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
best mpg I ever had in Mustang is about 17- 18

and I DONT CARE! ha ha! :party::party::party::crackup:

law242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
in my ecoboost tuned mustang the best I have got is 330 ish miles on the tank! would love to hit 400 let alone in a GT

Sponsored
OP
OP
Splash

Splash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2017, Ford Fiesta ST200.

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
funnily enough - I have no idea!

about 12 I suppose ...

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Have I wandered into the Toyota Prius forum? One minute we're discussing CVT autos, the next comparing MPGs and then driving at 60 on motorways. Maybe we need to discuss interiors and if the Mustang is suitable as an Uber taxi next ..

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Have I wandered into the Toyota Prius forum? One minute we're discussing CVT autos, the next comparing MPGs and then driving at 60 on motorways. Maybe we need to discuss interiors and if the Mustang is suitable as an Uber taxi next ..
Not suitable, back seats too small. ;)!

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
So here's the thing - clue is in the name GT = Grand Tourer. Having driven the thing for 3 yrs and 60k miles no one could convince me it's a sports car. It's a big old heifer that can push on a bit but is happiest burbling along, admittedly quickly but burbling nonetheless. What the op saw on the motorway was the default state when the brain behind the wheel was on autopilot it mooches along eating up the miles. If I want a sports car I'll but something light and exotic. Happy with my burger and fries though.
Sponsored